THE LAST OF US (HBO TV) - spoilers allowed for aired episodes (game spoilers masked)

Edmilson

Great finale and I still love this ending.  I’m glad people who do not play video games can experience this story.

I like the added scenes of Ellie’s birth.  I also like how Anna tells a lie, like Joel, when she tells Marlene that she was bit before Ellie was born.  She has to say “before” twice.  I think Marlene decides to accept the lie, while not believing it, to maintain their friendship in that moment.  This is what I think Ellie does at the very end as well.

There was something special about seeing the actor who helped “birth” Ellie in the game birth her in the show.  Kind of a passing the torch moment.

I think the use of a montage for Joel’s action, and the use of the music from him crying Ellie out in the game, was to symbolize the brutality and sadness of his actions.

I’m curious how game players did this section of the game?  You could go in guns a blazing like the show.  You could be more stealthy and take them out silently or you could go complete stealth and not kill anyone, well, except the doctor.  I was stealthy and took each guy out silently, I also let the 2 nurse live.

From this point on the show is almost a carbon copy of the game.  Just a few dialogue changes were all I noticed.  We didn’t get another “baby girl” from Joel as he picked up Ellie off of the operating table, like we did in the game.  They also cut one of my favorite lines.  When Ellie is telling Joel about Riley, just after she mention they decided to “lose their minds together”, in the show she says “and she did… and I had to- -“.  In the game she says this instead, “I’m still waiting for my turn.”  I love that line and it is also another indication that Ellie would have been willing to sacrifice herself for the greater good.  That’s how I took it from the game.

@Jay asked earlier what would we have done, are we for or against Joel’s choices.  It’s funny, the official podcast actually spoke to my answer when they mentioned a poll they did with play testers during the original game’s development.  As a parent of 3 kids, I’m 100% in the Joel camp and would have done the same thing in the hospital.  Not my kid, find someone else, I don’t care.  I’m saving my child.

As for the lie, I honestly could see myself lying because I might be scared that the truth would make my child hate me.  Joel lied thinking he was protecting Ellie from the dark truth of what he did, at this point he doesn’t know what is going to happen next and neither would we.  I could see my self doing the same for the exact same reason, even if it is wrong.

But I’m saving my child. No doubt about it.

I think it’s important to know that it is canonical in the game that the procedure would have worked and that a vaccine would have been made from killing Ellie. I’ve seen a lot of people siding with Joel’s decision in the show because of this uncertainty.

Joel is the villain, to me. 

I asked my mom what she thought of Joel’s decision and she said it was dumb but then when I asked what she’d do if it was me in Ellie’s position and she was Joel she said then yeah she’d save me. But because it’s a TV show and it’s fiction/doesn’t matter she sees how Joel screwed over humanity.

Genuinely I wonder if the game might’ve gotten the player/viewer to connect more with Ellie than the show which would cause some people who only watched the show to see how what Joel did was evil and was selfish. Also you’re not playing as him going crazy so it’s not as easy to connect and the show really portrays him as evil in that massacre.

19 hours ago, MaxMovieMan said:

I asked my mom what she thought of Joel’s decision and she said it was dumb but then when I asked what she’d do if it was me in Ellie’s position and she was Joel she said then yeah she’d save me. But because it’s a TV show and it’s fiction/doesn’t matter she sees how Joel screwed over humanity.

Genuinely I wonder if the game might’ve gotten the player/viewer to connect more with Ellie than the show which would cause some people who only watched the show to see how what Joel did was evil and was selfish. Also you’re not playing as him going crazy so it’s not as easy to connect and the show really portrays him as evil in that massacre.

The show makes Joel out to be a much nicer person than the game, actually. And absolutely you connect with Ellie way more in the game. It’s an aspect of the show that’s sorely missing, in my opinion. 

5 hours ago, Hurmm said:

If you have really truly, deeply loved a person, you'd come to understand what Joel did. 

I guess I have never really truly, deeply loved a person. 

Ellie has to die because the fungus grows inside the brain. So to retrieve the mutated fungus within Ellie’s brain, they have to kill her.

Again, it is canonical that the procedure would be successful in creating a cure. 

3 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Again, it is canonical that the procedure would be successful in creating a cure. 

But is it canonical that Marlene and the fireflies KNEW that at the time they were ready to kill Ellie (without giving her a say in the matter or even informing her)? Or was it just a hope still, at that point for them? Even if Marlene herself had no doubt killing Ellie would result in a cure, it's clear that Joel wasn't there. As long as to Joel it's a mere hope/possibility that the cordyceps from Ellie's brain can be used to create a cure, his emotional decision in the moment to save his surrogate daughter makes even more sense.

Yavar

On 15/03/2023 at 3:45 PM, rolltide1017 said:

Great finale and I still love this ending.  I’m glad people who do not play video games can experience this story.

I like the added scenes of Ellie’s birth.  I also like how Anna tells a lie, like Joel, when she tells Marlene that she was bit before Ellie was born.  She has to say “before” twice.  I think Marlene decides to accept the lie, while not believing it, to maintain their friendship in that moment.  This is what I think Ellie does at the very end as well.

Yes!  I agree with this complete.

There was something special about seeing the actor who helped “birth” Ellie in the game birth her in the show.  Kind of a passing the torch moment.

Absolutely!  Brilliant casting.

I’m curious how game players did this section of the game?  You could go in guns a blazing like the show.  You could be more stealthy and take them out silently or you could go complete stealth and not kill anyone, well, except the doctor.  I was stealthy and took each guy out silently, I also let the 2 nurse live.

I tried to be as stealthy as possible, for sure.  It's a hard level.  Definitely didn't want to engage with anybody I didn't have to, but probably had to take out some peeps along the way.  It's been a while, and I'm probably confusing some of the gameplay here with something from the second game.  But I do remember not wanting to kill the doctor, but realizing you literally can't beat the game unless you do

From this point on the show is almost a carbon copy of the game.  Just a few dialogue changes were all I noticed.  We didn’t get another “baby girl” from Joel as he picked up Ellie off of the operating table, like we did in the game.  They also cut one of my favorite lines.  When Ellie is telling Joel about Riley, just after she mention they decided to “lose their minds together”, in the show she says “and she did… and I had to- -“.  In the game she says this instead, “I’m still waiting for my turn.”  I love that line and it is also another indication that Ellie would have been willing to sacrifice herself for the greater good.  That’s how I took it from the game.

Wow I forgot about that line, that is a better line.

There's another pretty big difference here; In the game, Tommy had snuck back into Joel's house and gotten a picture of Sara, which Ellie grabs while they're in the Jackson dam, and then gives to Joel at the end of the game here.  On the official podcast Neil & Craig gave some reason why they wanted to change this for the show, I don't remember exactly what they said but I remember thinking it didn't make much sense.

@Jay asked earlier what would we have done, are we for or against Joel’s choices.  It’s funny, the official podcast actually spoke to my answer when they mentioned a poll they did with play testers during the original game’s development.  As a parent of 3 kids, I’m 100% in the Joel camp and would have done the same thing in the hospital.  Not my kid, find someone else, I don’t care.  I’m saving my child.

Hehe yea, Neil said 100% of parents agreed with Joel, while the non-parents were 50/50 on it

As for the lie, I honestly could see myself lying because I might be scared that the truth would make my child hate me.  Joel lied thinking he was protecting Ellie from the dark truth of what he did, at this point he doesn’t know what is going to happen next and neither would we.  I could see my self doing the same for the exact same reason, even if it is wrong.

Joel's actions at the end of the story are entirely selfish.  He almost killed himself when he lost Sara, and I think he's 100% confident he would kill himself this time if he lost Ellie.  I think that it literally wasn't even  a choice for him; I don't think he weighed pros and cons at all.  As soon as he heard Ellie would die, he knew he would kill everyone he had to to rescue her.

So along with that, the lie has to follow.  If he tells her the truth, he might lose her in terms of her not wanting to be around him any more, OR in terms of her finding another doctor and willingly sacrifice herself to help humanity.  So he has to not only lie about what happened, but extend the lie to tell her that no cure is even possible.  I don't think he's even thinking about sparing her feelings or protecting her from the truth.

On 16/03/2023 at 8:45 AM, Koray Savas said:

I think it’s important to know that it is canonical in the game that the procedure would have worked and that a vaccine would have been made from killing Ellie.

What are you talking about?  What canon?  Back this up, please.

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The show makes Joel out to be a much nicer person than the game, actually.

I'd agree with this, to an extent. Like for most of show he is a nicer overall, sure.  But then the ending is the same, and nullifies it all really.

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

And absolutely you connect with Ellie way more in the game. It’s an aspect of the show that’s sorely missing, in my opinion. 

I am thinking season 2 might find a way to make Ellie more endearing than season 1 did (which I already thought it did a pretty good job of)

34 minutes ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Which brings to my biggest problem with the show... They do not properly exemplify why FEDRA is so bad and the Fireflies might be better, or why should we trust they with this cure, they say a lot of things, but they do not show it. We see Kathleen doing worst things in 2 episodes than Fedra does in 4, so the whole "we got rid of the corrupt system" falls flat. And then in episode 7, Ellie says she is taught how to kill fireflies... well, why not instead of showing a morning jog, show them training shootouts. And we don't really see the fireflies in the show, we don't see the thought process of why Ellie has to die (I believe the game also didn't really show it either, but as many have pointed out, the connection the player has with Ellie is stronger there), so there's nothing really keeping my mind from going "yeah, it didn't look like it was going to work anyway", along with the biology of the infected that the series showed thoughout. The lie was the thing that we both got to ponder about though.

I think you missed the point; They were never trying to say that FEDRA=bad and Fireflies=good.  Both game and show make it clear that both organizations do good and do bad, and separate factions within are run by different people anyway, since the world is torn apart and long distance communication is difficult

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

What are you talking about?  What canon?  Back this up, please

Neil Druckmann stated it in an interview sometime around the games’s original release. Probably IGN since that was the site I frequented at the time.

Colin Moriarty references it a lot in his podcasts over the years, but he’s been with IGN, Kinda Funny, and now Last Stand Media, so I can’t recall exactly where to find it. 

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think you missed the point; They were never trying to say that FEDRA=bad and Fireflies=good.  Both game and show make it clear that both organizations do good and do bad, and separate factions within are run by different people anyway, since the world is torn apart and long distance communication is difficult

I'm aware, my point is that the show didn't show that about these specific (and important) organizations, the characters had strong feeling about both of them, and the argument presented in the show multiple times is that Fedra is a fascist regime and that the fireflies are rying to take them down, and specially in episode 7, that "who side are you on" comes into play in the characters motivations, but as far as we are shown, Riley wanting to leave Fedra so badly despite the girl she loves staying falls a bit flat. If the show wasn't making me think about the goods and bads of those organizations, I would not have a problem with it, but I do, because wih Fedra, we didn't really see the "bad" and with the fireflies... we saw nothing.

I mean, you're talking about a conversation between a 14 year old and a 16 year old. They're not adults, and aren't expected to have the insight into these organizations an adult in this world would

On 14/3/2023 at 2:58 PM, Jay said:

You misheard him, or mistyped here.  I listened to the official (show) podcast on lunch break today, and he said it was going to be an animated short film that they were working with an animation studio on.  It wasn't a game, there was no other game studio involved.

He literally said this story was going to be made into a video game. There is no mention of an animated short film. 

What Joel did was Feb wrong thing to do. 

I’d have done the same in his situation. 

On 15/3/2023 at 7:45 PM, rolltide1017 said:

I went in all guns blazing and killed everyone. Including the two nurses. 

FWIW, I always go for high honour in Red Dead Redemption 2. But TLOU sucked me in and I wanted to save Ellie at all costs and make sure nobody could stop me 🤷‍♂️ 

On 17/03/2023 at 2:43 PM, Koray Savas said:

Neil Druckmann stated it in an interview sometime around the games’s original release. Probably IGN since that was the site I frequented at the time.

This doesn't make much sense to me.

On 17/03/2023 at 2:43 PM, Koray Savas said:

Colin Moriarty references it a lot in his podcasts over the years, but he’s been with IGN, Kinda Funny, and now Last Stand Media, so I can’t recall exactly where to find it. 

I don't know who that is.

15 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

He literally said this story was going to be made into a video game. There is no mention of an animated short film. 

So he went on one podcast and said it was going to be a game, then went on another podcast and said it was going to be a short film?

That would a very weird thing to do, are you confident you didn't just hear him incorrectly?

Here is where you can hear him saying it was going to be an animated short.  Starting at 2:11.  At 2:35 he mentions after it fell through, they were going to shoot it as a live action short, which also fell through.

No mention of a game version of this story.

I’ve definitely heard him say they were going to make it as a game with a third party studio but the negotiations broke down. I can’t remember where I read it but it was in the last week.

That's pretty nuts if they tried an animated short version, live action short version, AND game version before finally getting it into the show.

But I don't understand why he'd say conflicting things across different podcasts.

3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I’ve definitely heard him say they were going to make it as a game with a third party studio but the negotiations broke down. I can’t remember where I read it but it was in the last week.

It was in the video I posted earlier. Starting at 56:47

3 hours ago, Jay said:

That's pretty nuts if they tried an animated short version, live action short version, AND game version before finally getting it into the show.

But I don't understand why he'd say conflicting things across different podcasts.

I feel like he might just be misremembering things himself. But for what it’s worth, he mentions that Greg Miller (of Kinda Funny) actually introduced him to the studio that was going to make it and Greg passively corroborates it. 

I hate to say it, but I disagree that the ending of Ep. 9 was good. Don’t get me wrong, everything up until that last conversation between Joel and Ellie was brilliantly done and it’s no small feat to make the viewer sympathetic to both sides of the sacrifice-Ellie-for-the-greater-good argument at the same time.

What bothers me is that Joel lied for no good reason. He could easily have told her the objective truth of the situation — that the fireflies always intended to kill her to get at her brain and had no compunctions about it, how they already made that decision for her, etc. Ellie is strong, she would have understood it. Instead, he spins a tale he needs to keep up about how the cure effort was doomed — and in so doing, painting the fireflies in a better light than they deserved. I feel like Joel would have been cynical enough by now — as well as respected Ellie enough by now — not to make up a lie to spare Ellie’s feelings.

By the way, did it strike anyone else how shabby the fireflies’ moonshot effort to find a cure was? At the end, all it was was a surgeon resident, by the look of it, and two assistants working in a a grimy, underlit OR. That was what Joel and Ellie fought halfway across the country to get to? I was expecting we’d see something like a militarized hospital district with a small army of lab coats and surgeons’ gowns inside. Maybe that was the point, though—as viewers, we’re meant to understand that the fireflies were never up to the task. Joel was right to shoot his and Ellie’s way out of there (although it might bear noting he’d made that call before he saw the OR…)

The Fireflies were humanity’s last shot at a cure. They’re “shabby” because that’s how dire the world has become. Joel sacrificed everything because he couldn’t lose another daughter, and potentially killed the only remaining doctor that could have developed a vaccine. It was an entirely selfish decision. He lied to Ellie because he knew she would have wanted to sacrifice herself for the cure, not to spare her feelings. As she told him moments before they were attacked, their journey couldn’t be for nothing. Joel made it all for nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Something doensn't make sense here to me: the chemical agent the fungus releases can't be solely in her brain, right?

I think humanity has more shots, specially since it doesn't infect through spores like seemingly in the game (?) and the way the real Cordyceps does. On top of that, there are more places in the world that could be in any condition.

But on top of that, the real Cordyceps has a meta-parasite that infects it, which heavily limits its spore production. I would use some that in an eventual plotline (and then maybe it goes wrong).

The games don't really delve into the science of the fungus at all.  Game 2 is really just all about the characters.

Plus, I think that, even if they had killed Ellie and crafted a vaccine, and everyone took it, the world is already fucked.  Most humans are dead, and infrastructure has collapsed everywhere.  It would take generations to build big goverment and other societal things back up again

the problem is supply lines (even what they have in the show is probably greatly exagerated), the governments can just be different new ones and that's the case already pretty much. it doesn't help them at all that supply lines in modern society are tend to be long-distance and really unstable to lower costs (thanks, economic system).

Game 2 seems to be really cool.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Most humans are dead, and infrastructure has collapsed everywhere.  It would take generations to build big goverment and other societal things back up again

They should just ask Kevin Costner to travel through the United States delivering mail. Then, the US would be restored ina  few years.

in the show specially, they have certainly averted part of catastrophic climate change (half of the problematic carbon has been emitted in the last 30 years), although there are probably ecological issues going on (invasive species that were never eradicated and ran rampant, likely threatened species that were never reintroduced, and who knows what else). the californian vaquita probably still exists.

4 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Part II is amazing. Just a real rollercoaster and I’m not sure I ever fully recovered from it emotionally 

Absolutely. I can't believe people think Part I is better. Part II is just so much more epic, scope and character wise. Also, the gameplay is a lot better and smoother.

38 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

Absolutely. I can't believe people think Part I is better. Part II is just so much more epic, scope and character wise. Also, the gameplay is a lot better and smoother.

Part II has major pacing issues and is overlong. Part I is better!

4 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

They needed a better pacemaker.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I disagree. You can argue that Part II was a tad too long, but Part I was way too short. I played Part I twice and I never get to use the flamethrower or the assault rifle because by the time you get them, you are done with the game. Part II expanded the world, the characters, and the scope of the conflict, so I think it earned its length.  

The first time I played Part I I thought maybe there were pacing issues but the second time I didn’t. I think the first time you play it the second chunk of the game feels long because of the different circumstances it puts you in and you want to get back to familiarity. 

I don’t know if I’d make a call on saying which game is better though. I love them both.

• 2 weeks later...

I waited for the game to finally come out on PC first, played it and absolutely loved it! I love this green apocalypse where nature is completely fine and dandy without us, and the remaining humans are struggling with keeping their humanity in different ways. Then I finally watched this and loved it! Obviously because of doing it so quickly after the game, some parts, the pilot's present scenes especially kinda lost me - I was thinking "what's the point" but even I wasn't sure if I meant "what's the point of them doing the same thing again" or "what's the point of me watching the same thing again".

I loved the changes that expand the world and characters, the different POV scenes, the expanded exploration of what people do in this world because of different kinds of love. The Bill/Frank episode was especially fantastic!

It was interesting to see more subtle changes too like how Joel is overall mostly less of an ass. He's nice to Henry, says thank you, trusts Ellie with a weapon earlier, he doesn't want to shoot the sniper, though with some of these the series also changes the situations to give him less of a reason to be an ass, the sniper's an old man instead of a guy who attacks him, Henry doesn't leave him behind at the bridge etc. I guess the game can get away with more, since you're controlling him, you're making him do everything, you automatically identify with him easier than if you'd just be simply watching an untrusting grumpy ahole for 5 hours before he starts being nice. I also liked that Ellie knows Sam is infected and tries to help him - it can go both ways, further increase her survivorship guilt because she tried and failed to save him, or make her doubt her usefulness in creating a vaccine.

Some changes I was just a bit perplexed by, like the switch from Pittsburgh to Kansas City. It doesn't make any lick of difference tbh, but why change it if it doesn't matter at all :D I'm not a big US city afficionado, maybe KC was easier to CG and find similar locations for in Canada?

Some changes I didn't like, like the hive mind aspect, which they kinda introduced for tension then abandoned, or downplaying the police state's cruelty (they're nice to the poor little infected kid, they're not the ones who kill Tess, there's much less running and hiding from them) - wonder how much of this latter one is because of US media being constantly soft-forced or at least heavily encouraged to suck the military's dick. Though there are more indirect things like the pit where they killed and burned innocent people.

On 23/04/2023 at 2:08 PM, Holko said:

Some changes I was just a bit perplexed by, like the switch from Pittsburgh to Kansas City. It doesn't make any lick of difference tbh, but why change it if it doesn't matter at all :D I'm not a big US city afficionado, maybe KC was easier to CG and find similar locations for in Canada?

They couldn't find a location in Canada that looked like Pittsburgh, but they found one that looked like Kansas City. And they realized that geographically, it made more sense for the stuff that happens there to happen that deep into their journey from Boston to Jackson, so they liked it for that reason to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

During the THR roundtable with directors, TLOU director Peter Hoar revealed that Spielberg sent Craig Mazin a letter about the Bill and Frank episode of the show:

Who else among you has had a sort of pinch-me version of a Spielberg letter?

HOAR Well, I didn’t get it directly, but [an actual Spielberg letter] came to Craig Mazin, the writer of my episode on The Last of Us — the writer of all the episodes. He shared it with myself, Nick Offerman, Murray Bartlett and [cinematographer] Eben Bolter. Basically, a whole group of middle-aged men started squealing because their idol had realized who they were. I think he probably knew who everyone else was, but he didn’t know who I was. And now he’s probably forgotten.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/mark-mylod-karyn-kusama-directors-roundtable-1235508720/

• 2 months later...
On 16/03/2023 at 12:45 PM, Koray Savas said:

I think it’s important to know that it is canonical in the game that the procedure would have worked and that a vaccine would have been made from killing Ellie. I’ve seen a lot of people siding with Joel’s decision in the show because of this uncertainty.

Joel is the villain, to me. 

the show fungus has no spores (???). that changes things a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fine with waiting a bit longer if it means that the quality is higher.

For a long time I've been one of the people who was like "Give me everything, and as much as possible".

Now I'm more on the side of take a break. Take the time. And make it high quality

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...