THE LAST OF US (HBO TV) - spoilers allowed for aired episodes (game spoilers masked)

Edmilson

Bella Ramsey:

“But honestly, I think people are going to love it. It very much follows the emotional beats of the game, and it’s very respectful of the game and honors the game. But [the live-action series adaptation] brings a new life into it. It explores different avenues that weren’t explored so much in the game. I do think people are going to love it. I hope they do. It was so much fun to make, such an experience. I hope that [audiences] feel that experience too when they come on the adventure with us.”

https://www.sheknows.com/feature/bella-ramsey-becoming-elizabeth-interview-2597980/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That footage really impressed me - really looking forward to the show!

Hopefully it's coming out in the early part of 2023 and not the later part

16 hours ago, mstrox said:

It won’t really feel like the game unless Joel is pulling Ellie around the water on a wooden shipping pallet for half the runtime

“I know, I know, get on the fucking pallet”

10 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It’ll be interesting to see how and if this show ever continues beyond the game narratives.

Joel and Ellie as characters only exist in 2 games. 

I would imagine they’ll spend some time filling in the gap between 1 and 2. Some of the events of the second game already take place in that time period via flashbacks so I imagine they’ll add more storylines in and around Jackson and introduce the likes of Jesse that way before heading on into Part II proper. 

Bella won't be old enough to portray game 2 Ellie until season... 3? 4? So yea I'm sure they have a plan to account for that. 

The first season might only cover half the first game or something. 

I just hope Left Behind gets fully adapted. 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

The first season might only cover half the first game or something. 

No it’s the full game for sure. 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I just hope Left Behind gets fully adapted. 

I’m fairly certain it is. I don’t know what order it will happen it but I would guess after Joel’s injury and with flashbacks like it should fit into the game rather than having it happen chronologically. 

Just now, Jay said:

For sure?  What makes you say that?

I’ve been following the show pretty closely online with casting, rumours, and set reports, leaks. Season 1 is the first game.

So maybe an eventual season 2 will adapt the second game? It surely will be a while before they start filming it, or maybe they'll recast Ellie with an older actress?

In the meantime, Naughty Dog will need to hurry with the third game in order to provide material for season 3, lol

But I think we're getting way ahead of ourselves

On 21/08/2022 at 11:38 PM, Koray Savas said:

It’s just one line, but Pascal nailed the voice of Joel in that clip. 

Wow, you're so right

7 hours ago, Edmilson said:

So maybe an eventual season 2 will adapt the second game? It surely will be a while before they start filming it, or maybe they'll recast Ellie with an older actress?

In the meantime, Naughty Dog will need to hurry with the third game in order to provide material for season 3, lol

But I think we're getting way ahead of ourselves

Well that's why I asked in the first place. Game dev is notoriously slow and difficult, with guaranteed delays. Part II took 6 years front start to finish. That's why I find it odd to adapt it so closely with Joel and Ellie. The universe is ripe for other stories, for sure, but I can see it easily turn into a Game Of Thrones situation.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Well that's why I asked in the first place. Game dev is notoriously slow and difficult, with guaranteed delays. Part II took 6 years front start to finish. That's why I find it odd to adapt it so closely with Joel and Ellie. The universe is ripe for other stories, for sure, but I can see it easily turn into a Game Of Thrones situation.

Agreed, this can become a new Game of Thrones if the show is successful and HBO becomes anxious for a second season.

Also, Bella Ramsey will turn 19 next month, the same age Ellie was in TLOU 2. I don't think they'll need to wait that long in order for her to look like Part II Ellie.

The more important part is that the events of game 2 are supposed to take place 3 years after the events of game 1 when both characters have now gone through a lot of growth and separate adventures.  So having a season or 2 in between to show that stuff in real time (plus maybe introduce Abby and her whole group that way) would make a lot more sense.

Plus of course, you want to have Pedro Pascal be in the show more than 1 season and like, an episode or two of the 2nd.

• 1 month later...

Man that trailer is even better on second watch, pausing a few time to take in some of the cool shots.  I noticed so many things from the game

Spoiler

Riley and Ellie on the carousel, so Left Behind will be adapted!

Joel running with Sarah in his arms from the prologue scene, sporting the birthday watch

At another point in the trailer, seeing he still wears the watch even though its broken 

The shot of the pickup truck from the opening prologue

Melanie Lynskey looks awesome.  Nick Offerman looks like he'll make a great Bill.  Anna Torv looks great.

Bella Ramsey looks like she'll be a great Ellie, at least the stoic / angry / determined sides of her; I hope they include the funny stuff, like her reading the jokes from the book, too!

I kind of wish they hadn't included the clickers in this trailer; It's clear they could have made a super compelling trailer without them, not even cluing people in who haven't played the game but are still interested in show that it will include mutated stuff like that.  Oh well

It just looks like they nailed everything they had to

I can't imagine there will be season of TV airing in 2023 I enjoy more

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The teaser has tempered my already mild enthusiasm. It feels like I've seen these kinds of things already. There's nothing intriguing about it and stylistically it's walking a well-trodden path. 

Also, the father figure/child dynamic ... Sigh ...

The story might seem familiar, but what set the game apart is that it took the established ideals of zombie and post apocalyptic things we've already seen and are familiar and add new emotional layers.  It's really about the two main characters and the father/daughter dynamic between them, so if that's not of interest to you than the show probably won't be your thing.

The game was very much characters/story first and action second, and considering the game devs are heavily involved in the show I suspect the show will follow a similar path.

Looks very interesting. Had not expected to hear a-ha's "Take on Me" in there (maybe it references something in the game, I don't know; never played it). Go Norway!

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Looks very interesting. 

How so?

2 hours ago, Goldfinger said:

The story might seem familiar, but what set the game apart is that it took the established ideals of zombie and post apocalyptic things we've already seen and are familiar and add new emotional layers.  It's really about the two main characters and the father/daughter dynamic between them, so if that's not of interest to you than the show probably won't be your thing.

The game was very much characters/story first and action second, and considering the game devs are heavily involved in the show I suspect the show will follow a similar path.

I haven't played the game but the writing of the TV series better be exceptionally good because I only see things I've seen a thousand times before already.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Had not expected to hear a-ha's "Take on Me" in there (maybe it references something in the game, I don't know; never played it)

It's actually a reference to the second game.

13 hours ago, AC1 said:

I haven't played the game but the writing of the TV series better be exceptionally good because I only see things I've seen a thousand times before already.

The writing for the game is good - for a game. It's nothing spectacular when compared to great films and series IMO, but compared to 99% of other games (in the same genre or otherwise) it's phenomenal. The biggest challenge this series will face is how it can stand out amongst everything else going in in prestige TV land at the moment; it's one thing for a cinematic experience to stand out amongst other games, but will it translate to a different medium?

The key point of both games' success and appeal were the ways in which they forced the player to not only watch but execute questionable acts of violence, raising the question of what we as audiences will and won't go along with based on who we perceive as the protagonists. That idea is hardly groundbreaking in television, particularly in a post The Wire/Breaking Bad world, so I'm interested to see how the writers try to tell those aspects of the story without, as AC points out, giving us something we've already seen done a thousand times.