JW is writing a new violin concerto for Anne-Sophie Mutter - "Violin Concerto No. 2"

Matthias

54 minutes ago, Tom said:

Every once in a while, deep down, I think there really is nothing new to add to the existing musical literature (classical, pop, whatever).  It is just new spins on old material.  But then Williams brings me back.  He did it years ago with Rey's theme and now, in terms of contemporary classical, this concerto.  

Wow; VERY well said. I'll go a step further and say it is any time the Maestro puts out a new work, be it a film score or concert piece.

6 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

After comparing the lengths of ALL of the Maestro's concertos and pieces that comprise of multiple movements, I can 100% confirm that his Violin Concerto No. 2, at 35 minutes in length, is the longest piece he has composed and conducted thus far. Also, it is clearly the longest piece he has composed and conducted thus far, PERIOD.

Oh, and please don't ask me to make a list of the total lengths of all his concertos and multiple movement pieces. It was time consuming enough just to compare the lengths.

Ha, ha. Thanks for looking and finding the strength where I had none. 

I have to say, this is really growing on me! It's enjoyable to me from start to finish now (though "Rounds" is still my favorite movement by far).

One thing that is taking me a while to get used, though (I had the same problem w/ the first violin concerto, which I still have mixed feelings about): The screechy sound of the high notes on the violin is really grating to me, although the grating effect dissipates after many listens. Is that a normal reaction? I did used to play the violin myself and didn't particularly enjoy it, so it is possible that my instinctive dislike of the sound of JW's violin concertos (in comparison to, say, the cello concerto) has something to do with that LOL. 

It just seems like JW chooses to include an absurdly large amount of super high notes in his violin concertos. Do people actually find that pleasant to listen to?

41 minutes ago, Will said:

Do people actually find that pleasant to listen to?

I'm not sure it is supposed to be pleasant at all, no.  Those kind of notes mark virtuosity and emotional complexity.  Gives the music bite, and the some folks enjoy that bite more than others.  

On 8/1/2021 at 11:47 PM, Will said:

I have to say, this is really growing on me! It's enjoyable to me from start to finish now (though "Rounds" is still my favorite movement by far).

One thing that is taking me a while to get used, though (I had the same problem w/ the first violin concerto, which I still have mixed feelings about): The screechy sound of the high notes on the violin is really grating to me, although the grating effect dissipates after many listens. Is that a normal reaction? I did used to play the violin myself and didn't particularly enjoy it, so it is possible that my instinctive dislike of the sound of JW's violin concertos (in comparison to, say, the cello concerto) has something to do with that LOL. 

It just seems like JW chooses to include an absurdly large amount of super high notes in his violin concertos. Do people actually find that pleasant to listen to?

It sounds just fine in a live setting, but unfortunately as with all concerto recordings the violin gets mixed to the forefront a little too much for my liking.

I am not sure if this is something that is acceptable to post on here (and please feel free to delete if so) but I compiled the Concerto into separate movements from the CRB link posted in another thread if anyone is interested. I can share a Dropbox link of that is something allowed?

4 minutes ago, D_nev said:

I am not sure if this is something that is acceptable to post on here (and please feel free to delete if so) but I compiled the Concerto into separate movements from the CRB link posted in another thread if anyone is interested. I can share a Dropbox link of that is something allowed?

No, that's not typically allowed over here on the board.

1 minute ago, SteveMc said:

No, that's not typically allowed over here on the board.

Just saw you added me to another thread, ill post there! hopefully people can get some enjoyment out of hearing the piece. I've been listening non-stop the past few days! I can't get enough of it. 

I think the Violin Concerto No. 2 might just become a premier piece for top level violinists and orchestras to show their chops in recordings.  

The first concerto I feel has a better chance at entering the repertoire, though, with its more standard structure and thematic drive, the Adagio especially exemplifying all that.   

Still, that has not happened yet.  But I've got to maintain that it is right up there with the Berg  as one of the great violin concertos of the 20th century.  

28 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

The first concerto I feel has a better chance at entering the repertoire, though, with its more standard structure and thematic drive, the Adagio especially exemplifying all that.   

Still, that has not happened yet.  But I've got to maintain that it is right up there with the Berg  as one of the great violin concertos of the 20th century.  

Williams need to stop fiddling with it (sorry) and release the definitive version.  I would prefer he go back to the original, but such is life.  

One can only dream for this piece to be included in the upcoming concert with the Maestro conducting the Berlin Philharmonic. Heck, what about this piece included in a concert with the Maestro conducting the London Symphony Orchestra?!?

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Williams need to stop fiddling with it (sorry) and release the definitive version.  I would prefer he go back to the original, but such is life.  

The third movement in the 2016 revision is wildly different in particular.   I think I like it a good deal.  But I agree the original version is the one that should probably be "canon."  No other version comes close to me in the power of the first movement and the aching beauty of the second.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SyncMan said:

Apparently, none of us attended this concert, otherwise this thread would have blown-up about JW's appearance on stage after the concert.

Source: Dallas Morning News

With violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter, Fabio Luisi led a Dallas Symphony gala with some surprises (ampproject.org)

I can't read this article, full screen popups asking me to pay to use their site.  Can you help us out?

6 hours ago, jocores said:

According to Doug Adams, the concerto will be recorded by the end of the week! Williams is on fire!

https://twitter.com/DougAdamsMusic/status/1442619707035734016?s=20

YES!!!

On 06/08/2021 at 11:59 PM, Doug Adams said:

The work deserves it. It's just the logistics that can be nasty. Here's hoping! 

He should make a chamber arrangement. For Yo Yo, Itzhak, the cookie woman, and the guitar guy.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

"This is an excellent concerto--I wonder who wrote it.  I bet the dissonance has to do with Covid.  Covid sucks."  

The C&C* Concerto

*Covid & cookies