JW is writing a new violin concerto for Anne-Sophie Mutter - "Violin Concerto No. 2"

Matthias

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Went to Dallas to hear it live?  He was the conducter when it premiered at Tanglewood this summer.

There's always a difference between hearing it from "within" the orchestra (or on the podium) and from the audience. Reverb and instrumental balance can vary a lot. A conductor will often have an assistant check the acoustics from further back during an on-location rehearsal, or let the musicians perform on their own at key points to check for him-/herself if no assistant is available. I would make sense for Williams to check how the audience hears his orchestrations and perhaps make some tweaks.

Thats great news! Id love to see newer titles- perhaps: Marion's Theme or 'Leaving Home' or 'Love Theme' from Superman would be awesome! But He'd probably do Angela's Ashes  instead :lol:

Yup that specifically says "live recording", so I guess I the album will have the same thing we'll hear for free on the radio. 

Actually, wait, there are two shows this weekend, so the album version could vacillate between each where needed for the best takes

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I wonder if the film pieces will be part of the concert (in which case we will know soon what they are) or if they will record them separately.  

The free Sunday concert specifically mentions including film pieces.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I wonder if the film pieces will be part of the concert (in which case we will know soon what they are) or if they will record them separately.  

Mutter has been playing an encore at these concerts, so it could be a new piece there (such as the new arrangement of Across the Stars), but I doubt there would be three of them.

Maybe the rest of these will be played and recorded at the free concert on October 3rd?  The program just says "Three arrangements from film scores, for violin and orchesrtra" but doesn't give the titles.

https://www.bso.org/brands/bso/education-community/community/concert-for-our-city-reunited-at-symphony-hall.aspx

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Could they be new film score violin arrangements that weren't on the first ATS album, which JW has done in the last year?

That's what it sounds like to me.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

I find it interesting that despite the descreasing clout of the classical music world, a foreign violinist, however famous, can still get to talk to the U.S. President when in need. I wonder who was the 'other'. Some well-connected orchestra director? An underling of a relevant Secretary? Steven Spielberg, John Williams?

Maybe a German ambassador...

The Pittsburgh concert will be having the Maestro's Violin Concerto no. 2 as it's first half of the program. I'm saving my first listen of the piece for when I'm sitting so close to Williams in Heinz Hall.

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

People still have DVRs in 2021?

Well I use Youtube TV but I still call recording stuff DVR just because it's... well still what it is technically.  It's digital, it's video, and it's recorded.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Will this be the first performance not conducted by Williams?  I can't remember at the moment if that's happened yet.

It was conducted by Fabio Luisi in Dallas... and Williams was in the audience!  He came out and conducted an encore... the Mutter 'Nice To Be Around' arrangement

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31908-jw-is-writing-a-new-violin-concerto-for-anne-sophie-mutter-violin-concerto-no-2/&do=findComment&comment=1836030

Anne-Sophie Mutter seems to be doing a world tour of this concerto - she's headed to Sydney in November.

https://www.sydneysymphony.com/concerts/anne-sophie-mutter-music-of-john-williams

Anne-Sophie Mutter & the Music of John Williams

Program

Herrmann Vertigo: Suite
John Williams Violin Concerto No.2
Rota The Leopard: Suite
Westlake Flying Dreams
John Williams Hedwig’s Theme
John Williams The Long Goodbye: Theme

Artists

Simone Young conductor
Anne-Sophie Mutter violin

11 minutes ago, Quppa said:

Program

Herrmann Vertigo: Suite
John Williams Violin Concerto No.2
Rota The Leopard: Suite
Westlake Flying Dreams
John Williams Hedwig’s Theme
John Williams The Long Goodbye: Theme

Artists

Simone Young conductor
Anne-Sophie Mutter violin

Nice to see Simone Young conducting Williams. And I'd love to hear a Gattopardo suite in concert someday.

Very cool. I finally listened to this concerto in the past week. I enjoy it more than the other JW classical work I've heard—which, admittedly, is limited just to the contents of Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams.

It's all challenging music, for sure. Williams speaks so directly in most of his film music. This is different, in ways that are hard to describe.

21 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Star Wars Song GIF by GREAT PERFORMANCES | PBS

Boston Symphony Orchestra - Andris Nelsons

Tue 29 August 2023 - Lucerne
Thu 31 August 2023 - Salzburg

JOHN WILLIAMS
Violin Concerto No. 2
Prologue
Rounds
Dactyls
Epilogue
ARTISTS

Anne-Sophie Mutter Violin 

Boston Symphony Orchestra

Andris Nelsons Conductor 

image.png

29.08.2023 Boston Symphony Orchestra | Andris Nelsons | Anne-Sophie Mutter | Williams | Strauss | Ravel | Summer Festival | Lucerne Festival

Logo

Boston Symphony Orchestra • Salzburg Festival 2023 (salzburgerfestspiele.at)

Not only highly prestigious, but many (if not all) performances of the festival are recorded and broadcast 😉

Bernhard Güttler (links) und Komponisten-Legende John Williams („Star Wars“, „Der weiße Hai“, „Jurassic Park“)

Grammy nominee: The sound engineer Bernhard Güttler

WDR 3 Mosaic 02/02/2023 5:54 min.

By Cornelia Böcker

What craft do sound engineers actually master? They ensure good sound during music recordings, just like Bernhard Güttler. He just got a Grammy nomination for his work. Cornelia Böcker visited the Tonkunstler in Detmold.

Grammy-Kandidat: Der Tonmeister Bernhard Güttler - WDR 3 Mosaik - WDR 3 - Podcasts und Audios - Mediathek - WDR

• 3 months later...

Didn't want to post this on the JW concerts thread (lest anyone get to excited that he's finally rescheduled a London concert date) but Anne-Sophie Mutter is performing with the LPO on 13 January 2024, including the second violin concerto, plus selections from Tintin, Cinderella Liberty and Harry Potter, plus a suite from Superman and also Bernstein's On the Waterfront suite (which is terrific). Tickets not hideously priced (you don't need to be that close to the front at the Royal Festival Hall in my experience) and plenty of choice at the moment.

https://lpo.org.uk/event/mutter-plays-john-williams/

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Anne-Sophie Mutter is performing with the LPO on 13 January 2023

Hungry Cookie GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

8 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Can we bring cookies?

Better send some in advance to JW so he considers a debut with the LPO.