Jump to content

JW is writing a new violin concerto for Anne-Sophie Mutter - "Violin Concerto No. 2"


Matthias
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

All that being said, I am sure Williams wrote whatever he wanted to write.  

 

Certainly. Unless of course there very different kinds of biscuits, and each kind was associated with a specific type of music, so he had to write the right type to get more of his favourites.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Well, it's certainly not my idea of atonal, the way I've been taught the term. Dissonance? Sure, there's some of that. But not atonal in the Webern/Schoenberg/Berg sense.

Serialism aka twelve- tone music is not the same as atonal.

There is more flexibility in the later while the former is a rigid systemic technique.

Atonal music means it's not in a specific, identifiable  key and can drift from no key to a specific key

Think TRISTAN.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Serialism aka twelve- tone music is not the same as atonal.

There is more flexibility in the later while the former is a rigid systemic technique.

Atonal music means it's not in a specific, identifiable  key and can drift from no key to a specific key

Think TRISTAN.

 

I'm fully aware that 12-tone is its own thing, so I don't need any lectures on that. But it's fairly common to use the term for that particular idiom. As I've said previously, it's a flexible term.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Certainly. Unless of course there very different kinds of biscuits

 

Cookies, not biscuits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Thor said:

 

I'm fully aware that 12-tone is its own thing, so I don't need any lectures on that.

😉

Screenshot_2021-04-01-19-04-48~5.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A reminder that the premiere of the concerto will stream live Saturday night at this website: https://www.classicalwcrb.org/show/the-boston-symphony-orchestra/2021-06-11/a-world-premiere-with-anne-sophie-mutter 

 

In addition, the website states that "broadcasts are available on demand for a limited time, beginning the Wednesday following the performance at the links below" (https://www.classicalwcrb.org/blog/2021-05-28/tanglewood-2021-on-the-air-and-online). 

 

Really excited for this!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Will said:

A reminder that the premiere of the concerto will stream live Saturday night at this website: https://www.classicalwcrb.org/show/the-boston-symphony-orchestra/2021-06-11/a-world-premiere-with-anne-sophie-mutter 

 

In addition, the website states that "broadcasts are available on demand for a limited time, beginning the Wednesday following the performance at the links below" (https://www.classicalwcrb.org/blog/2021-05-28/tanglewood-2021-on-the-air-and-online). 

 

Really excited for this!! 

 

What time will that be (EST)? I don't want to miss this!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JohnnyD said:

 

What time will that be (EST)? I don't want to miss this!

 

The concert begins at 8 p.m. Eastern Time on Saturday night

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Will said:

A reminder that the premiere of the concerto will stream live Saturday night at this website: https://www.classicalwcrb.org/show/the-boston-symphony-orchestra/2021-06-11/a-world-premiere-with-anne-sophie-mutter 

 

In addition, the website states that "broadcasts are available on demand for a limited time, beginning the Wednesday following the performance at the links below" (https://www.classicalwcrb.org/blog/2021-05-28/tanglewood-2021-on-the-air-and-online). 

 

Really excited for this!! 

 

The Saturday concert might not be available on demand, as it is being made available on DG Premium (on video format) on Sunday evening.

BSO Now is live webcasting the video of the concert, but this will be the only one in the season that won't be available on demand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Will said:

"broadcasts are available on demand for a limited time, beginning the Wednesday following the performance at the links below"

 

1 hour ago, Miguel Andrade said:

The Saturday concert might not be available on demand, as it is being made available on DG Premium (on video format) on Sunday evening

I think it will be available on Wednesday on WCRB since the DG stream is only available until Tuesday.

image.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I expect to love this concerto.  I will probably love just as much these philosophical musings by Williams on the nature of music.  Great, great stuff.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

 

E66CPseUcA8XzTX?format=jpg&name=large

 

SWEET! I also saw in the program notes that, in addition to the world premiere, the Maestro himself is conducting it. I forgot about that; that is phenomenal! By any chance, is anyone planning on recording the performance of the entire piece? Or will the concert be available for on-demand download? I would sure like to have this be part of my Apple John Williams library.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

will the concert be available for on-demand download? I would sure like to have this be part of my Apple John Williams library.

 

On 7/1/2021 at 12:53 PM, lairdo said:

The DG Stage (Deutsche Grammophon's digital stage with paid ticketed events) will be broadcasting the July 24 concert from Tanglewood. From the email I just received:

 

"In the second half of the month we’re delighted to present the world premiere of John Williams’ Violin Concerto No.2 with Anne-Sophie Mutter from this year’s Tanglewood Festival 2021..."

 

https://www.dg-premium.com/dg_stage_video/world-premiere-of-john-williams-violin-concerto-no-2-at-tanglewood-2021/

 

Cost is €9.90 and the ticket is valid until July 27 for repeat viewings.

 

 

 

On 7/8/2021 at 6:35 AM, TownerFan said:

Great news: the concert will stream online on Deutsche Grammophon streaming platform DG Stage:

 

https://www.dg-premium.com/dg_stage_video/world-premiere-of-john-williams-violin-concerto-no-2-at-tanglewood-2021

 

On 7/19/2021 at 11:00 PM, Will said:

A reminder that the premiere of the concerto will stream live Saturday night at this website: https://www.classicalwcrb.org/show/the-boston-symphony-orchestra/2021-06-11/a-world-premiere-with-anne-sophie-mutter 

 

In addition, the website states that "broadcasts are available on demand for a limited time, beginning the Wednesday following the performance at the links below" (https://www.classicalwcrb.org/blog/2021-05-28/tanglewood-2021-on-the-air-and-online). 

 

Really excited for this!! 

 

On 7/19/2021 at 11:07 PM, JohnnyD said:

What time will that be (EST)? I don't want to miss this!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, thank you. I'll definitely buy a ticket to stream it. Better to see the concert as well rather than just listen. However, what I meant to ask was if it is available to download so it can be replayed any other time, rather than stream for a limited time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right - since you can stream it, all you have to do is record the audio in Audacity, save that, then cut out just the Concerto and save that as a second file, and add that to your library

 

Nobody will be selling the live performance in digital stores

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a great reminder for me to wear bug spray tomorrow.


The mosquitoes have been absolutely BRUTAL here this week, like nothing I've ever experienced in my life.  I guess 3 straight weeks of rain'll do that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Right - since you can stream it, all you have to do is record the audio in Audacity, save that, then cut out just the Concerto and save that as a second file, and add that to your library

 

I'll give it a try. Hopefully someone else will be able to do that. I'm not very tech savvy (regarding computers, at least).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/22/2021 at 9:29 AM, Disco Stu said:

For the past 6-9 months my listening has more and more been dominated by jazz of the 20s-50s, so it's gratifying to see that Williams still keeps that music of his formative years in his mind.  Thornhill is interesting because so much of his output is nakedly commercial but for the attentive listener (as I'm sure Williams was in his teen years) the Thornhill arrangements often have ear-tingling features of harmony and orchestration.  By the end of the 40s Thornhill was also using Gil Evans as an arranger and started recording some less frivolous tunes by bebop pioneers like Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, and Illinois Jacquet.  Clearly that specific Thornhill era was hugely influential on Williams.

 

I like to imagine JW really vibing on something like this around age 17

 

 

That's really cool!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Will said:

So what's the deal with the Arte.tv link @Steve identified above?

 

 https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/104491-000-A/anne-sophie-mutter-und-john-williams-mit-einer-urauffuehrung/

 

Is that a paid subscription service or something?

It is a free streaming link for the full concert. Stream starts sunday at 8 pm german time. I suspect it will only be available in Germany and France.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Steve said:

It is a free streaming link for the full concert. Stream starts sunday at 8 pm german time. I suspect it will only be available in Germany and France.

Did somebody say VPN? ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, carlborg said:

What a beautiful album! Thank you @Disco Stu

 

 

 

Thornhill is this fascinating mixture of serious progressive jazz and a sort of pop classical easy listening sound; WIlliams' continued interest in him makes all the sense in the world given the interesting contradictions of Williams' own career!  Williams commissioned a Dick Hyman arrangement of "Snowfall" in the early 80s that has stayed in the Boston Pops Christmas repertoire ever since.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

 

Thornhill is this fascinating mixture of serious progressive jazz and a sort of pop classical easy listening sound; WIlliams' continued interest in him makes all the sense in the world given the interesting contradictions of Williams' own career!  Williams commissioned a Dick Hyman arrangement of "Snowfall" in the early 80s that has stayed in the Boston Pops Christmas repertoire ever since.

Is that the one recorded on 'Swing, Swing, Swing'?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, carlborg said:

Is that the one recorded on 'Swing, Swing, Swing'?

 

Yep that's the one!  Personally, I prefer Angela Morley's arrangement that she recorded herself in the 50s (under her birth name) and that John Wilson later recorded for his Morley tribute album.  I've always wondered why Williams commissioned a new one when he worked with Morley as an arranger/orchestrator frequently in the 80s.

 

Here's that Morley arrangement:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.