JW is writing a new violin concerto for Anne-Sophie Mutter - "Violin Concerto No. 2"

Matthias

2 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Oops, yes, updated. Although I was going in my TARDIS so any date works for me.

I know a guy with a TARDIS.  Anytime I ask him to take me somewhere, he says he would, but he just doesn't have the room.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/02/2023 at 9:54 PM, Tom said:

The violin concerto truly is a tour de force.  I am glad it (via Mutter) is taking the classical world by storm.  Has any recent concerto by any composer been performed this frequently?  

As for "contemporary composers" no never, but it also helps that ASM gets whatever she wants, HOWEVER she never played any of her other commissions like this, even the concerto Andre wrote for her I think she played less than this one.

And come to think of it, I don't think there is any concerto in history that got played like this while composers were still alive.

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/05/2023 at 12:52 PM, BB-8 said:

Here's a further appearance of ASM with Violin Concerto No. 2 and "selected film themes":

Schedule & Tickets | Gewandhaus Leipzig (gewandhausorchester.de)

image.png

Secured tickets for this yesterday, hoping that we may be getting Helena's Theme and some of the more recent "selected film themes"...

P.S. Only a dozen tickets left!

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

Has anyone from JWfan (except ASM) been in Lucerne and/or is going to Salzburg for Violin Concerto No. 2?

I stayed in Luzern for 3 days last year, if that's what you're asking?

50 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I stayed in Luzern for 3 days last year, if that's what you're asking?

Not really, I was asking whether somebody in this forum attended the Swiss premier of JW's Violin Concerto No. 2 this year.

A review from Salzburg:

Cinema in the head: brilliant Williams and Stravinsky from the Boston Symphony Orchestra | Bachtrack

"The conductor Leonard Slatkin described John Williams as the most important musical figure of the 20th century, more important even than Stravinsky or Schoenberg. "Can you name seven people on this planet who have never heard of John Williams?" There is no doubt that John Williams' influence on the development of music, especially film music, cannot be overstated. However, one should not compare apples with oranges."

[...]

"Williams' Violin Concerto, which was premiered in Vienna in 2020 by dedicatee Anne-Sophie Mutter and played by her again in Salzburg, is not one of the Hollywood legend's catchiest narrative works. Williams wanted to pay tribute to certain peculiarities that he had observed in Anne-Sophie Mutter's playing. Thus, the concert is characterized by passages that sound free and almost improvised, interrupted by rousing virtuoso runs and technical high-wire acts. With Mutter, it all sounds so natural and natural, as if she were still the very young girl who carelessly plays Bach's Chaconne to the mighty Herbert von Karajan and his Berliner Philharmoniker.

Like Williams, Anne-Sophie Mutter is a musical legend who has an impact far beyond her field. The fact that she takes on the sometimes unwieldy work of her friend John Williams, like so many other contemporary compositions, shows her openness and curiosity as well as her ability to make such rough diamonds sparkle through her interpretation alone. But not everything was raw and unpolished. Especially the passages in which Williams creates timbres, conjures up feelings and then creates a little mental cinema – such as the beginning of the second movement Rounds – were the highlights of the first part of this concert evening. In addition to Mutter, it is thanks to the musicians of the Boston Symphony Orchestra that these moments shone perfectly, and every timbre on the instrumentation palette appeared in optimal light. Nelson had set up his orchestra confidently and the apparatus worked flawlessly until the last desk. As an encore there was Helena's Theme from Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, also by John Williams."

[...]

image.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/05/2023 at 12:52 PM, BB-8 said:

Here's a further appearance of ASM with Violin Concerto No. 2 and "selected film themes":

Schedule & Tickets | Gewandhaus Leipzig (gewandhausorchester.de)

image.png

A few tickets for the above have popped up...

Spielplan & Tickets | Gewandhaus Leipzig (gewandhausorchester.de)

https://gewandhaus.eventim-inhouse.de/webshop/webticket/seatmap?eventId=22620

@michael_grig

On 06/09/2023 at 11:33 PM, michael_grig said:

Damn. I wished I was there. The Leipzig concert is already sold out as well :(

• 4 weeks later...

Nice to see it's still spreading internationally to major venues and artists. Simone Young was a frequent conductor of the Wiener Philharmoniker (in its original function as the Vienna State Opera orchestra), I've seen her conduct Strauss and Wagner (including at least one full Ring) many times.

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

Apparently there will be a live interview with ASM and John Williams today. Can somebody from the US record it maybe?

image.png

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0t-t5CMe9U/

You can stream it here:

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/tv/2023/12/11/amanpour-mutter-williams.cnn

Thanks for sharing, although (obviously) nothing new there. Typical mainstream media interview, with amusing delay. The endless adulations from all directions make me uncomfortable.

Funny with the mistitling of the Violin Concerto No. 2 as "Williams Concerto II", LOL!

But, as always, glad to see Williams sharp as a knife at his age. That's the only takeaway from these kinds of interviews.

40 minutes ago, Thor said:

Thanks for sharing, although (obviously) nothing new there. Typical mainstream media interview, with amusing delay. The endless adulations from all directions make me uncomfortable.

Funny with the mistitling of the Violin Concerto No. 2 as "Williams Concerto II", LOL!

But, as always, glad to see Williams sharp as a knife at his age. That's the only takeaway from these kinds of interviews.

Yeah, ticks all the key words:

Previn

Black Forest

Star Wars

cookies

pencil

concerto

legacy

etc.