John T. Williams, the trombonist

karelm

2 hours ago, Thor said:

No recordings exist, obviously, but it's probably the instrument he played the most besides the piano. He "fooled around" with several instruments in his youth, including cello and percussion, but he most often mentions the trombone - as in the quote above. Even if he never became a trombonist (and thank God for that!), he has indeed written some great parts for the instrument in his scores.

Fair point.  I've had many teachers mention that trombonists make great orchestrators and composers.  :)

10 hours ago, karelm said:

Fair point.  I've had many teachers mention that trombonists make great orchestrators and composers.  :)

Why could that be, if I may ask?

5 minutes ago, ricsim88 said:

Anyone knows what was the ceremony Williams was attending when he made those comments?

Yes, I forgot to ask that earlier. I'm also curious about that. Was it a recent event?

7 hours ago, ricsim88 said:

Anyone knows what was the ceremony Williams was attending when he made those comments?

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes, I forgot to ask that earlier. I'm also curious about that. Was it a recent event?

It was a Los Angeles trombone festival (yes, those exist) where some of his frequent performers were giving masterclasses/performances.  I stumbled on this looking for local trombone festivals which feature masterclasses and such but forget exactly which one it was.  He is ubiquitous in the local music scene.  Such as the Debut Youth Orchestra fund raiser he was a conductor of one of his pieces and wrote a similar note for them about how much that youth orchestra meant to him type of thing.  Each of these offers some limited insight into a part of his history.

EDIT: I found it.  https://trombonefestival.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-itf-program-book.pdf

1 hour ago, karelm said:

It was a Los Angeles trombone festival (yes, those exist) where some of his frequent performers were giving masterclasses/performances.  I stumbled on this looking for local trombone festivals which feature masterclasses and such but forget exactly which one it was.  He is ubiquitous in the local music scene.  Such as the Debut Youth Orchestra fund raiser he was a conductor of one of his pieces and wrote a similar note for them about how much that youth orchestra meant to him type of thing.  Each of these offers some limited insight into a part of his history.

EDIT: I found it.  https://trombonefestival.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-itf-program-book.pdf

Thanks for the info!

I’m going to a trumpet festival in LA in July, where Tom Hooten will be performing his concerto at the Hollywood Bowl. It sure would be great to see him there. But I’m guessing he’ll be in Tanglewood during that time.