John Williams and Anne-Sophie Mutter @ Verizon Hall (Philadelphia, PA) - April 19, 2022

Ricard

I wonder if Williams will make some new arrangements or revisit Han Solo and the Princess, the first page of which showed up in one of Sophie's Instagram posts. I would love to hear that!

4 hours ago, Tydirium said:

So wait, is it not possible to just buy an individual ticket to the event (for a cheaper price)? Is the gala package the only way to attend?

I think they will sale individual tickets later.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Could this be the occasion where he premieres his violin concerto for Mutter? Or is it not ready yet? The programme doesn't say. But surely, Williams must have done something these last few corona-isolated months.

8 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Didn't he say it's finished in one of those interviews where you complained he never says anything of interest?

Ha, ha. Could be! :D

27 minutes ago, Thor said:

Ha, ha. Could be! :D

To be fair, I don't recall if he said it's completely finished, and I obviously don't know how accurate his statement was in the first place. But as far as I remember, he said something to the effect that "it's done now".

5 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Has he ever written a cello or oboe concerto?

I'd be interested in hearing that!

He has written concertos for both instruments and some other solo pieces for cello. I'm sure it is on YouTube. 

In fact, there aren't that many instrument groups left for which he hasn't written a piece in some form. I would have loved to hear a percussion concerto, since so many of his family members were and are percussionists, but in many ways, I think of IMAGES as one. He also hasn't written a trombone concerto, which would be interesting, since it's an instrument he mastered pretty well in his youth (according to himself), presumably second-best after the piano.

• 1 year later...
On 08/04/2020 at 5:03 AM, Ricard said:

An additional concert of the same program is scheduled for January 26, this time in Philadelphia:

https://www.philorch.org/performances/our-season/events-and-tickets/2020-21-season/a-night-with-john-williams-and-anne-sophie-mutter/

On 29/08/2020 at 8:07 AM, Ricard said:

The make-up date is now Tuesday April 19, 2022

https://www.philorch.org/performances/our-season/events-and-tickets/2021-22-season/winter-spring/an-evening-with-john-williams-and-anne-sophie-mutter/

• 4 weeks later...

This is close enough to Carnegie Hall I'd considering a road trip that includes both shows, and visiting friends we have in the Philly area... but I dunno

Anybody from JWFan attending this show?

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed a change on the performance details page. I assume this is what they plan to perform. Do they usually announce these things ahead of time?

Williams Sound the Bells!
Williams Violin Concerto No. 2
Williams “Flight to Neverland,” from Hook
Williams Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Williams “Donnybrook Fair,” from Far and Away
Williams Theme, from Cinderella Liberty
Williams “Hedwig's Theme,” from Harry Potter
Williams “Throne Room and Finale,” from Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

11 minutes ago, Toillion said:

I haven't actually heard the Violin Concerto No. 2. Is there someplace I can find it?

Yes and no

It only just premiered last year, it's still a brand new work

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31908-jw-is-writing-a-new-violin-concerto-for-anne-sophie-mutter-violin-concerto-no-2

The Tanglewood premiere was broadcast live on the internet

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34000-tanglewood-2021-season-includes-several-williams-concerts/

A recording made in Boston will be on a new album coming out this year by DG

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34168-second-williams-mutter-album-in-the-works/

So that will be your first way to legally hear it if you don't pursue fan recordings of the Tanglewood stream

Sound the Bells keeps appearing on these programs recently, doesn't it? But has it actually stayed on until the actual concert? I know it was planned for Vienna as an opener, then replaced with Olympic Fanfare, and then dropped in favour of Flight to Neverland (but at least the fanfare reappeared in Berlin).

I think it may be his favorite own fanfare.  Since composed, it has opened a lot of his concerts.  My guess it was his suggestion to use it as the opening of Evening at Pops as well.

I will add it to my surmised favorites of Williams's own compositions:

Fanfare: Sound the Bells

Fugue: Shark Cage

Scherzo: Motorcycle 

March: Imperial 

Overall film piece: either Close Encounters, Throne Room, or Adventures on Earth.

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

Fanfare: Sound the Bells

Fugue: Shark Cage

Scherzo: Motorcycle 

March: Imperial 

:lol: I dunno why, but this made me laugh

Sounds the Bells opened both his Cleveland shows in 2002 and 2018, so this will be the third time I’ve seen him open with it. Not gonna lie, it’s pretty fucking hype when the strings come in as an opener for the concert

• 2 months later...

I'll be there in Philly on April 19th. Will likely even self-quarantine starting this Friday the 8th (can WFH the week before Easter) to make damn sure the 'rona won't make me miss this! 

My last Williams concert was at Tanglewood in August 2019 almost three years ago, and I was unable to make it to the 2021 BSO concerts due to the US land border with Canada remaining closed until November.

Who else plans to be there? Maybe we can arrange a JWFan pre-concert dinner like the good old days in Boston?

On 09/04/2022 at 3:10 PM, Toillion said:

This is coming up quick! I’m trying to plan out a 4 day trip. Anyone have any must sees or eats for someone’s first time?

Liberty Bell in the historic area museum (east of downtown, closer to the river). Some like to check out all the Rocky locations (steps of City Hall, etc). Must eats would be an authentic cheesesteak at Geno's (or Pat's) just south of downtown. Note on this: they like taking orders as quickly as possible. Have cash on hand and simply indicate the type of cheese you want on it (American, provolone, CheezWiz) and with/without onions.

For shopping, PA has no sales tax on clothes (up to $300 I think). Nearby Delaware has no sales tax on anything.

I'd be up for a pre-concert meetup as will of other JWFanners care to join?