Ricard

John Williams to conduct the Philadelphia Orchestra with Anne-Sophie Mutter on violin, January 26 & 27, 2021

I wonder if Williams will make some new arrangements or revisit Han Solo and the Princess, the first page of which showed up in one of Sophie's Instagram posts. I would love to hear that!

4 hours ago, Tydirium said:

So wait, is it not possible to just buy an individual ticket to the event (for a cheaper price)? Is the gala package the only way to attend?

I think they will sale individual tickets later.

Could this be the occasion where he premieres his violin concerto for Mutter? Or is it not ready yet? The programme doesn't say. But surely, Williams must have done something these last few corona-isolated months.

8 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Didn't he say it's finished in one of those interviews where you complained he never says anything of interest?

Ha, ha. Could be! :D

27 minutes ago, Thor said:

Ha, ha. Could be! :D

To be fair, I don't recall if he said it's completely finished, and I obviously don't know how accurate his statement was in the first place. But as far as I remember, he said something to the effect that "it's done now".

6 hours ago, Matt S. said:

I really hope it's recorded and released on CD so we can read endless whining about how the trumpets were late in bar 32, the tempo wasn't right from bars 123-129, and how the orchestra almost completely fell apart for two seconds in bar 87 of the third movement!  Let's just hope they don't use the dreadful Vienna Philharmonic again!

They should just premiere it with a sample library. Someone needs to call John Williams and tell him to start working on MIDI files immediately.

5 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Has he ever written a cello or oboe concerto?

I'd be interested in hearing that!

He has written concertos for both instruments and some other solo pieces for cello. I'm sure it is on YouTube. 

In fact, there aren't that many instrument groups left for which he hasn't written a piece in some form. I would have loved to hear a percussion concerto, since so many of his family members were and are percussionists, but in many ways, I think of IMAGES as one. He also hasn't written a trombone concerto, which would be interesting, since it's an instrument he mastered pretty well in his youth (according to himself), presumably second-best after the piano.