Michael Giacchino's JURASSIC WORLD: DOMINION (2022)

Jay

So sad to see Giacchino attached to this, but the projects deserve his (and Trevorrow's) lack of talent, in a way. All the JURASSIC WORLD films have betrayed their legacy, even if they work marginally well as straightforward 'creature features'.

8 hours ago, Thor said:

So sad to see Giacchino attached to this, but the projects deserve his (and Trevorrow's) lack of talent, in a way. All the JURASSIC WORLD films have betrayed their legacy, even if they work marginally well as straightforward 'creature features'.

I would agree the films have betrayed their legacy, but I wouldn't extend that to the scores.

14 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I would agree the films have betrayed their legacy, but I wouldn't extend that to the scores.

Giacchino is the worst offender in that regard. But you know me; I hate his music with every fiber of my body.

The blatant lack of respect for the franchise and lack of a new story is by far worse. I can tolerate the scores because it's the only element of the films that takes its role seriously and with a small degree of respect for Williams' work. Trevorrow and the screenwriters are hacks.

It's perfectly possible and undramatic to hate a person's music. In the case of Giacchino, however, it's even more than that. It's also what he represents, his huge fan base ("The Emperor's New Clothes") and the fact that he takes over and partly ruins a great many franchises which I love. He seems like a nice person, but I desperately wish he had chosen a different profession.

I never thought Gia had that much of a big fanbase. He is popular, of course, maybe beloved by fans of Lost, Pixar and the Abrams Trek movies... But I don't think he has a lot of avid supporters, like Goldsmith had, or Williams, or Zimmer, etc.

I mean, HZ and JW have their own fan forums, but where's MGfan.com? lol

1 hour ago, ATXHusker said:

It's a little dramatic to claim that the new movies have "betrayed" the original, like the original films were Citizen Kane or Casa Blanca.

No, JURASSIC PARK is actually better than both of those. :)  But the betrayal is in the very philosophy the original three was based on (especially the balance between 'awe and wonder' and 'action setpieces'). It's not dramatic to claim that at all; in fact, it's rather commonsensical.

I guess my point is there are bigger and far more important things to "hate" then a composer's musical style, especially in these times... 

I'm sure there is, but as it happens, we're discussing music and films here. Let's keep the context, please. I don't see what's so strange about disliking or even hating an artist's or composer's music? Most of us do; even you.

I was keeping the context, you brought your opinion to the table and I responded to it. 

You're correct, there are musicians that I can't stand, but I don't come on here acting like they've ruined my life using words such as "betrayed".  The original JP was certainly a game-changer for the entire industry, I'll whole-heartily agree with you there.  But as Dr. Malcolm prophetically said in TLW "Oooh! Ahhh! That's how it always starts. Then later there's running and screaming".  TLW & JPIII were good movies, but they couldn't hold a candle to the original.  Same could be said for the JW duo.  That doesn't mean they cannot be entertaining, because they were.  

I totally get the MG fatigue, but you cannot deny the man has composed some fantastic pieces in his time.  The fact is there are waaayyyy more movies being made now than there were 30-40 years ago, therefore you need more composers to compose music for those films.  Like it or not, MG is one of the most recognizable composers today, that's why he is getting asked to compose a good-sized chunk of the larger mainstream movies in the last 10 years and going forward.  The vast majority of the movies that he's scored lately are in the "popcorn flick" realm (Star Trek, Marvel, Jurassic World).  These films are meant to be entertaining and not to be picked apart and criticized. Call me old-fashioned, I guess, but I go to these types of movies to have a good time and to be entertained.  I'm not expecting to see anything thought-provoking LOL

@Thor if we cross paths in the future we can down a few ales! :):beerchug:

I'm fine with Giacchino, he seems like a nice guy and I think his music is mostly okay. But I hate how he's so overrated, and how he's scoring almost everything. That said, I'm fine with him doing JW3, continuity and everything. 

7 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

It's a little dramatic to claim that the new movies have "betrayed" the original, like the original films were Citizen Kane or Casa Blanca.  I guess my point is there are bigger and far more important things to "hate" then a composer's musical style, especially in these times...  Take it from my homie Yoda... ;) :beerchug:

Image result for fear leads to anger

Here you've found Thor's habit for using hyperbole to get his point across, although I'm starting to wonder if it's an English-as-a-second language thing, and he simply hasn't learned how to express his views in a more level-headed manner with English nuance.

Perhaps it's too dramatic to say JWorld(s) have betrayed the legacy of Jurassic Park, but I'm of the opinion they should never have been made. You can't rekindle the magic of the first, and the driving fan force behind this new trilogy has been surviving purely on nostalgia. 

1 hour ago, Þekþiþm said:

Here you've found Thor's habit for using hyperbole to get his point across, although I'm starting to wonder if it's an English-as-a-second language thing, and he simply hasn't learned how to express his views in a more level-headed manner with English nuance.

Sorry to disappoint you, but it's all perfect honesty. I consider the WORLD films a betrayal of the original trilogy; no need to mince words or be nuanced about it when it isn't.

Too bad Trevorrow didn't use the "it's the final film in the series" excuse to try to coerce John Williams back for Dominion.

Rather disappointed Giacchino is returning for this. At least he's not doing Matrix 4.

Did anybody really expect someone else? Gia has become Trevorrow's go to since the first JW. Not even J.A. Bayona was allowed to bring in Fernando Velázquez for FK, so it was kind of given he'd have Dominion too.

I enjoy parts of the first one. The main theme I actually like more than the original JP theme, even if the latter is the superior one. Been a bit iffy on touching the sequel, considering the very mixed reception. I do wonder if Gia getting to work with Collin again might bring it back to the first more, or if this will go in yet another direction separate from what's come before.

7 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Did anybody really expect someone else? Gia has become Trevorrow's go to since the first JW. Not even J.A. Bayona was allowed to bring in Fernando Velázquez for FK, so it was kind of given he'd have Dominion too.

Indeed. I actually had high hopes for FALLEN KINGDOM. Big fan of Bayona's previous work; he was just the right amount of visionary to pull it off, as opposed to the hack that is Trevorrow, now "relegated" to producer status. Alas, that didn't help. Same for Velazquez -- had hoped for some of the beautiful, lyrical qualities on display in LO IMPOSSIBLE, but of course he was too clever to be hired for this. Let's 'water it down' even further by having MG return. A shame. With both Trevorrow and MG back for this third, my expectations are zero. Even though I'm sure we'll get some sort of mildly entertaining, run-of-the-mill 'creature feature' out of it.

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

Indeed. I actually had high hopes for FALLEN KINGDOM. Big fan of Bayona's previous work; he was just the right amount of visionary to pull it off, as opposed to the hack that is Trevorrow, now "relegated" to producer status. Alas, that didn't help. Same for Velazquez -- had hoped for some of the beautiful, lyrical qualities on display in LO IMPOSSIBLE, but of course he was too clever to be hired for this. Let's 'water it down' even further by having MG return. A shame. With both Trevorrow and MG back for this third, my expectations are zero. Even though I'm sure we'll get some sort of mildly entertaining, run-of-the-mill 'creature feature' out of it.

Curious if you enjoy any of Giachinno’s work Thor? I’m pretty down on him in general but really enjoy the first Incredibles, Ratoutuille and the Planet of the Apes scores.  

Good question. I thought LOST was pretty good in context with the series (although I couldn't listen to it alone; I had one of the soundtracks once), and JOHN CARTER was decent. Surprisingly thematic for an MG score. That's about it. I've sampled a great deal of his work, but I usually just find it irritating (a whole bunch of ostinati and giant chord leaps that are supposed to be called 'themes'; going nowhere fast).

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Surprisingly thematic for an MG score. 

huh?!  MG has a ton of recognizable and very hummable themes.  Up, Incredibles, Dr. Strange, Spider-Man, JW, etc... just to name a few.  Other than the Avengers theme, I dare say he has two of the more memorable themes in the MCU.

11 hours ago, Matt C said:

At least he's not doing Matrix 4.

I wouldn't rule him out just yet. Gia has the amazing hability of scoring a lot of blockbusters, and it doesn't matter if they are premiering close. In 2015, Tomorrowland, Inside Out and Jurassic World came out within a few weeks from each other, and he managed to do all three. So, if Lana Wachowski invites him, he probably will do it, alongside The Batman, Jurassic World 3 and Spider-Man 3.

Maybe four blockbusters is a little too much even for him, but I don't know, usually when people invite him to do a movie, he transforms into Jim Carrey's character on the movie Yes, Man.

And I'll be really pissed off if he is hired for Matrix 4. I don't hate the guy or his music, but come on, he'll have a lot of movies already coming next year. Don Davis needs way more this opportunity than him.

If MATRIX 4 really comes to fruition, anything else but Davis will be a big disappointment (except maybe Goldenthal, who can do similar stylistic stuff, but he won't do it, and won't be asked).

Just now, Not Mr. Big said:

Will they create a good guy dinosaur this time?  They always make them bad.  

Well, in the first WORLD film, they tried to make one of the raptors sorta good ("Blue", was it?), especially in that ridiculous ending with tons of anthropomorphization.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Well, in the first WORLD film, they tried to make one of the raptors sorta good ("Blue", was it?), especially in that ridiculous ending with tons of anthropomorphization.

They need to engineer a dinosaur with the sole task of doing good.  Williams can write a heroic march for it

35 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Oh come on, I loved Blue.

I liked him/her too, up untill they tried to humanize him/her at the very end (on repeated viewings, I've tried to see if I was just imagining things, but I wasn't -- it goes counter to the instinctual beast it has been presented as earlier, even attacking Owen). I also hated the laughable 'running/driving through the jungle' bit, which reminded me of the jungle battle in CRYSTAL SKULL.

Blue's "arc" (?) on this movie was very confusing. She was an allied to Chris Pratt, then she turned against him, and then she and the other raptors helped him to fight the Indominus, which was a dinosaur that kills other dinosaurs for sport, like a dino-serial killer.

And to think that Trevorrow earned a lot of money for writing crap fanfic like this...

JW 1 might be fun, but let's face it, it is a big budget version of a Syfy movie.