Michael Giacchino's JURASSIC WORLD: DOMINION (2021)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2020/03/11/michael-giacchino-to-return-for-jurassic-world-dominion

The first Jurassic World score is solid. There are a couple fantastic tracks in there that still make it in my current rotation.    Fallen Kingdom is utter crap though. 

I liked the score for Fallen Kingdom more, to be honest. Even if the movie itself is far worse.

44 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Babe must be your favourite movie.

Great cinematography and all that, but yeah -- can't stand those types of movies, unless it's animated.

I was under the assumption one could post whatever opinion one had, either positive or negative.

For the record, I don't HATE the WORLD movies. As I've said a few times, I think they work reasonably well as 'creature features' (I've seen WORLD probably 4 times, and FALLEN KINGDOM 2, and I wouldn't do so if they weren't entertaining). I just don't think they're "proper" JURASSIC PARK movies.

Now, the scores, on the other hand, I could more easily use such strong, negative adjectives. The only good thing about them is the original JW themes, and even they were used kinda hokey and self-consciously, with awkward transitions into MG's 'soundalike' elements of a far lesser quality.

JWFK is a movie that made me left the theater thinking and reflecting.

Reflecting about how could I be so stupid on paying my hard earned money to watch this crap on theaters.

Second worst movie of 2018, it's not only the worst because Crimes of Grindewald somehow managed to be even crappier.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I was under the assumption one could post whatever opinion one had, either positive or negative.

My question was why we always have two threads for these things (referring to both this and Star Wars), especially in this case when not many folks here care about these movies. Cut out the cry-baby "you're trying to oppress me!" bullshit, it's quite grating.

3 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

I liked the talking raptor in JP3.

He should have gotten his own cartoon show.

23 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

My question was why we always have two threads for these things (referring to both this and Star Wars), especially in this case when not many folks here care about these movies. Cut out the cry-baby "you're trying to oppress me!" bullshit, it's quite grating.

Ha, ha....you crack me up, Kasey. I haven't even read the other 'film' thread; for me it's enough with one thread about a film/score, but I have no problem with the powers-that-be having one thread for film and one for score.

I don't know what your expectations are for a thread about a film/score, but my suggestion is that you go into it expecting both positive and negative remarks. That's what messageboards are for. If you're only expecting positive remarks, I think you will be disappointed time and again.

26 minutes ago, Thor said:

Ha, ha....you crack me up, Kasey. I haven't even read the other 'film' thread; for me it's enough with one thread about a film/score, but I have no problem with the powers-that-be having one thread for film and one for score.

I don't know what your expectations are for a thread about a film/score, but my suggestion is that you go into it expecting both positive and negative remarks. That's what messageboards are for. If you're only expecting positive remarks, I think you will be disappointed time and again.

I'm just questioning the logic here! It's like having a "film thread" and "score thread" for, I don't know, Theodore Rex! 

And I'm glad I amuse you, despite the condescending tone that makes me sad!

1 hour ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I'm just questioning the logic here! It's like having a "film thread" and "score thread" for, I don't know, Theodore Rex! 

Sure, I agree with you. Having ONE thread for both film and score would be fine by me. 

For the rest, I have no idea what you're talking about.

On 3/13/2020 at 11:10 AM, Thor said:

If MATRIX 4 really comes to fruition, anything else but Davis will be a big disappointment (except maybe Goldenthal, who can do similar stylistic stuff, but he won't do it, and won't be asked).

It's been filming for a couple weeks now.

Lana and her sister usually hire a composer before filming starts (like Jupiter Ascending), so maybe Don Davis is back on board? We'll see.

• 7 months later...

BTL: You worked with Matt and Colin Trevorrow (Jurassic World director) before, so are you generally there from the beginning of their projects and writing any cues or themes in advance?

Giacchino: No, not often. I thought for this one maybe I would, because I had the time, but then I decided to re-shift where I spend my time. I’m usually around, because we’re all friends, so I know what’s going on. We talk to each other through the production. I’ll check in with them, see how they’re doing or in normal times, I can go to the set and just visit, but not so much for work other than to get a feeling for what’s happening. Usually, most of the work, 99% of it, happens in those final stages where there’s a version of the film that I could watch, I can look at, and I can start understanding sort of what what they’re going for and start with that. At this point, it’s more just fun for me, where I can just check and see how they’re doing.

BTL: I would think that with Jurassic World: Dominion, you could at least write some themes, since it’s your third movie and you already have some sense for those movies?

Giacchino: You could normally, but the truth is in normal times, I’d probably be in the middle of two or three other films right now. I wouldn’t have the time to do that, so they line up against each other, and you go, “Okay, this one’s done, what’s next? Bring on the next one.” This would have been one of those times where I could have done that, but then I really just felt the need to spend some time on my own things.

http://www.btlnews.com/composers/michael-giacchino-travelogue-vol-1/