Michael Giacchino's JURASSIC WORLD: DOMINION (2022)

Jay

44 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Babe must be your favourite movie.

Great cinematography and all that, but yeah -- can't stand those types of movies, unless it's animated.

I was under the assumption one could post whatever opinion one had, either positive or negative.

For the record, I don't HATE the WORLD movies. As I've said a few times, I think they work reasonably well as 'creature features' (I've seen WORLD probably 4 times, and FALLEN KINGDOM 2, and I wouldn't do so if they weren't entertaining). I just don't think they're "proper" JURASSIC PARK movies.

Now, the scores, on the other hand, I could more easily use such strong, negative adjectives. The only good thing about them is the original JW themes, and even they were used kinda hokey and self-consciously, with awkward transitions into MG's 'soundalike' elements of a far lesser quality.

JWFK is a movie that made me left the theater thinking and reflecting.

Reflecting about how could I be so stupid on paying my hard earned money to watch this crap on theaters.

Second worst movie of 2018, it's not only the worst because Crimes of Grindewald somehow managed to be even crappier.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I was under the assumption one could post whatever opinion one had, either positive or negative.

My question was why we always have two threads for these things (referring to both this and Star Wars), especially in this case when not many folks here care about these movies. Cut out the cry-baby "you're trying to oppress me!" bullshit, it's quite grating.

3 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

I liked the talking raptor in JP3.

He should have gotten his own cartoon show.

23 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

My question was why we always have two threads for these things (referring to both this and Star Wars), especially in this case when not many folks here care about these movies. Cut out the cry-baby "you're trying to oppress me!" bullshit, it's quite grating.

Ha, ha....you crack me up, Kasey. I haven't even read the other 'film' thread; for me it's enough with one thread about a film/score, but I have no problem with the powers-that-be having one thread for film and one for score.

I don't know what your expectations are for a thread about a film/score, but my suggestion is that you go into it expecting both positive and negative remarks. That's what messageboards are for. If you're only expecting positive remarks, I think you will be disappointed time and again.

26 minutes ago, Thor said:

Ha, ha....you crack me up, Kasey. I haven't even read the other 'film' thread; for me it's enough with one thread about a film/score, but I have no problem with the powers-that-be having one thread for film and one for score.

I don't know what your expectations are for a thread about a film/score, but my suggestion is that you go into it expecting both positive and negative remarks. That's what messageboards are for. If you're only expecting positive remarks, I think you will be disappointed time and again.

I'm just questioning the logic here! It's like having a "film thread" and "score thread" for, I don't know, Theodore Rex! 

And I'm glad I amuse you, despite the condescending tone that makes me sad!

1 hour ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I'm just questioning the logic here! It's like having a "film thread" and "score thread" for, I don't know, Theodore Rex! 

Sure, I agree with you. Having ONE thread for both film and score would be fine by me. 

For the rest, I have no idea what you're talking about.

On 3/13/2020 at 11:10 AM, Thor said:

If MATRIX 4 really comes to fruition, anything else but Davis will be a big disappointment (except maybe Goldenthal, who can do similar stylistic stuff, but he won't do it, and won't be asked).

It's been filming for a couple weeks now.

Lana and her sister usually hire a composer before filming starts (like Jupiter Ascending), so maybe Don Davis is back on board? We'll see.

• 7 months later...

BTL: You worked with Matt and Colin Trevorrow (Jurassic World director) before, so are you generally there from the beginning of their projects and writing any cues or themes in advance?

Giacchino: No, not often. I thought for this one maybe I would, because I had the time, but then I decided to re-shift where I spend my time. I’m usually around, because we’re all friends, so I know what’s going on. We talk to each other through the production. I’ll check in with them, see how they’re doing or in normal times, I can go to the set and just visit, but not so much for work other than to get a feeling for what’s happening. Usually, most of the work, 99% of it, happens in those final stages where there’s a version of the film that I could watch, I can look at, and I can start understanding sort of what what they’re going for and start with that. At this point, it’s more just fun for me, where I can just check and see how they’re doing.

BTL: I would think that with Jurassic World: Dominion, you could at least write some themes, since it’s your third movie and you already have some sense for those movies?

Giacchino: You could normally, but the truth is in normal times, I’d probably be in the middle of two or three other films right now. I wouldn’t have the time to do that, so they line up against each other, and you go, “Okay, this one’s done, what’s next? Bring on the next one.” This would have been one of those times where I could have done that, but then I really just felt the need to spend some time on my own things.

http://www.btlnews.com/composers/michael-giacchino-travelogue-vol-1/

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I think we have a general theme park thread somewhere, not sure if anyone's made a "Jurassic Park is better than everything" thread yet or not though

As someone whose number 2 nerd subject after film music is rollercoasters, this is indeed a strange (and rare) crossover.

From a purely rollercoaster fan pespective, it genuinely does look like a world-class coaster that could end up in the top 20.

Islands Of Adventure also features Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure coaster which is the most expensive rollercoaster ever built - only $300 million!

I look forward to eventually getting out to Florida to ride them both.

• 3 weeks later...

I also just realized he's written and recorded this score before Spider-man: No Way Home, which opens in theaters 7 months before Jurassic World 3 does.

Of course, this makes sense, considering principal photography of JW3 ended in November 2020, while No Way Home's ended just under a month ago

On 4/23/2021 at 8:40 PM, Evanus said:

Hope the recording quality is more like FK, sounded much better than  JW

This was my first thought too. JW sounds flat and tinny; FK sounds fantastic.

Is it wishful thinking for them to release the score before next year? I suppose Bond sets a precedence here. At least it's recording in London so we should get a good album release.

28 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

This was my first thought too. JW sounds flat and tinny; FK sounds fantastic.

Is it wishful thinking for them to release the score before next year? I suppose Bond sets a precedence here. At least it's recording in London so we should get a good album release.

I think that's the LA>London/Abbey Road difference. The first JW was a LA/Sony recording, right? While FK was recorded in London at Abbey Road. I really disliked the recording and performance on that first score.

So if they're back in London recording at Abbey Road for JW:D, it should sound fantastic.

Plus MG doesn't seem to be overloading himself with projects anymore, so fingers crossed he's put as much energy into this one as he did for FK (which I thought was a sensational score, miles better than his work on JW).

The film will still be locked per their original schedule, it'll just sit on a server at Universal for a year gathering dust (a bit like Bond and West Side Story, which were both locked a year ago). 

They can't keep the entire post production crew hired and tweaking the film until release, because each day of post production costs hundreds of thousands of dollars (and all of that gets budgeted and scheduled before the cameras even roll). Plus crew need to move on to other projects, etc. 

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

it'll just sit on a server at Universal for a year gathering dust (a bit like Bond and West Side Story, which were both locked a year ago). 

Bond wasn't locked - or was but got unlocked:

On 1/27/2021 at 1:07 PM, Jay said:

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Maybe I'm just slow but I don't even get the pun in Alan For Granted.

The character's name is Alan Grant, and there's an English expression that goes "taken for granted", so I guess that's it.

18 hours ago, Jay said:

Bond wasn't locked - or was but got unlocked:

It was definitely locked before the second (third?) major delay, the director said as much over a year ago.

Now the film has seven months of breathing room before it arrives in early November. Many productions would use that extra time to make tweaks and potentially improve the final product.

Fukunaga was asked if that was happening with Daniel Craig’s final outing as 007 and surprisingly it’s not the case.

Fukunaga says: “Although more time would have been lovely, we had to put our pencils down when we finished our post-production window.” He also explained why it would be pointless to tinker any further: “Short answer is money. And although Bond is a big movie, we still have to weigh cost with value. And like anything, you could tinker endlessly. The movie is great as it is.”

Too bad he had to unlock it for that product placement stuff, which still makes me laugh thinking about