Michael Giacchino's JURASSIC WORLD: DOMINION (2022)

Jay

The musicians of the orchestra don't look that socially distanced... On the other hand, maybe it's just the string section and they're recording with every section of the orchestra separately?

I do get quite annoyed when I have trouble lining up the track title with my memory of scenes from a movie.  Gia's pun titles often make that difficult.  Silvestri's Infinity War/Endgame track titles were also really annoying about that but with no puns.

MG talks a bit about the scoring process in this podcast:

https://wmmr.com/episodes/daily-podcast-04-29-21/

He's basically hopping on the video chat to London around 5AM his (west coast USA) time, and the musicians are doing evening sessions that run until 10PM London time

The orchestra is split into two different rooms due to covid protocols, and they mix it together later

"AM I PRESSING THE RIGHT BUTTON? WHAT AM I DOING?"

"You're in all caps, John. Can you turn them off please?"

"WHAT? A CAT? I'M NOT A CAT."

"No... "caps", as in upper capitalization, like THIS. It looks like you're yelling."

"ISN'T IT BETTER TO READ LIKE THIS? I CAN'T SEE THE LETTERS AS WELL OTHERWISE."

"Nevermind... can we focus on getting your webcam on... again...?"

"WEBCAM? AM I DOING A SPIDER-MAN FILM NOW? I TOLD STEVEN I DON'T LIKE BIG STORIES ANYMORE UNLESS THEY HAVE REY!"

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Maybe this could open the door for JW to work with the LSO again...

I wish!

But he seems quite wedded to the musicians in LA these days. I'm sure he's keen to get them more work post-COVID (which Indiana Jones 5 will certainly allow!)

I'm sure the LSO would have bent over backwards to perform the Star Wars sequels via video conerence if JW wanted, but I guess he wanted to conduct as much as he could in LA.

I feel more irrational loyalty for the DeCrescent orchestra in LA than the LSO.  Just me.

But then I'm also the only JWFan that prefers the sound of the Sony stage to Abbey Road.

On 4/30/2021 at 12:46 AM, Jay said:

MG talks a bit about the scoring process in this podcast:

https://wmmr.com/episodes/daily-podcast-04-29-21/

He's basically hopping on the video chat to London around 5AM his (west coast USA) time, and the musicians are doing evening sessions that run until 10PM London time

The orchestra is split into two different rooms due to covid protocols, and they mix it together later

why is this being recorded so far out from the release? 

Well, it was originally supposed to open in June 2021.  Covid delayed filming by 4 months, so instead of releasing it in October 2021, they decided Summer 2022 makes more sense.  Makes sense to me.  And no need to wait to record the score just because of that.  Might as well finish post-production in a timely manner and have everyone move on to new projects

I didn’t like Fallen Kingdom’s score as much as I think most people did, even though I usually like Giacchino - the discordant main theme just doesn’t work for me - so I’m very cautiously optimistic about this.

14 minutes ago, Stark said:

I didn’t like Fallen Kingdom’s score as much as I think most people did, even though I usually like Giacchino - the discordant main theme just doesn’t work for me - so I’m very cautiously optimistic about this.

Agreed about Fallen Kingdom. I'm still far more of a fan of the first film's score. Fallen Kingdom has grown on me over time, but still has not overtaken World.

On 4/30/2021 at 5:35 PM, crumbs said:

I'm sure the LSO would have bent over backwards to perform the Star Wars sequels via video conerence if JW wanted, but I guess he wanted to conduct as much as he could in LA.

William ross did most of the conducting, didnt he?

That's audio from the prior scores, like the text of that tweet indicates, the new recordings aren't mixed yet

EDIT: Oh, you probably meant the notes shown on the pages didn't you

3 hours ago, Jay said:

That's audio from the prior scores, like the text of that tweet indicates, the new recordings aren't mixed yet

EDIT: Oh, you probably meant the notes shown on the pages didn't you

to me, the ending played on the video sounds like new music. he could have recorded the video while the orchestra was playing....

1 minute ago, Luke Skywalker said:

to me, the ending played on the video sounds like new music. he could have recorded the video while the orchestra was playing....

Sounded new to me as well. I assumed he was listening to the orchestra close out either the film or the credits suite.

I don't use twitter or instagram. I rely on people crossposting cool film score stuff found on social media to here!

What video game is that?

The music sounds neat

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't use twitter or instagram. I rely on people crossposting cool film score stuff found on social media to here!

What video game is that?

The music sounds neat

Someone said Dark Souls 3. I don't recognize the game either, but yeah, the music sounds neat and scary! I'm surprised no one else posted this, normally someone else posts it and I don't see it until after I post it:lol:

That music wouldn't be out of place scoring something really kooky happening in LOST either 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I just thought it was funny that the first comment under Trevorrow saying here's music from JW:D is someone asking "is this music from JW:D?"

That bothers me to no end yet I do it all the time on here haha.

On 4/26/2021 at 11:25 AM, Edmilson said:

The musicians of the orchestra don't look that socially distanced... On the other hand, maybe it's just the string section and they're recording with every section of the orchestra separately?

I remember reading an interview with James Newton Howard about scoring News of the World, the most musicians they could get in Abbey Road, per Covid protocols, were 40 musicians (socially distanced). So having the musicians spaced out in two rooms make sense for Dominion.

• 1 year later...

The action cue is decent enough, even though it could've been written for almost any other Giacchino-scored blockbuster, like Spiderman.

Apparently, to get the full album you need to contact the guy who posted it on Telegram. :eh:

I think I'm gonna wait until it appears on Spotify (or at least on that forbidden forum).

Not gonna lie, that action cue is pretty good and better than I hoped for from Gia. I hope there's more music in that vein in the full soundtrack. It's unfortunate that it ends at 2:20 with ten seconds based on a three-note motif that sounds, to my ears, really badly harmonized or is simply bad writing.

The action cue is decent enough; bit torn on the electronics, but I suppose they give the sound a bit of added oomph.

Nice but incomplete version of the original theme in the second cue.

I am surprised they didn't leave the obligatory JP1 reference off the soundtrack this time.

I like the action cue, but I say bring on the horror material!