Michael Giacchino's JURASSIC WORLD: DOMINION (2022)

Jay

1 minute ago, Anthony said:

Pretty sure the witty/cringey track titles started back on Alias.

There's certainly a bunch of silly track titles, but I wouldn't call any of them puns:

https://www.discogs.com/master/817372-Michael-Giacchino-Alias-Original-Television-Soundtrack

Anyone else also prefers Giacchino's first Jurassic World score to Fallen Kingdom's? The first one is pretty decent, but FK, as Kasey puts it, is just a Chris Young-wannabe. It also doesn't help that the movie is horrible.

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

Pretty sure the witty/cringey track titles started back on Alias.

Just checked, season 1 soundtrack seems mostly fine, season 2 did show some worrying signs

I dont recall what Chris Young sounds like, but all I know is I dug the vibe of FK's soundtrack way more than the first movie.

JW1 just felt... flatter somehow.

Can't say that Fallen Kingdom reminds me of Chris Young, but I thought both the movie and score were better than Jurassic World 1. They're not a particularly good "Jurassic" movie or score, but they're fun in a stupid-turn-your-brain-off type of way.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Clip from the film with Giacchino's score in it

I caught a bit of the Indominus theme in there. And I think those four notes at the begining are Williams' predator motif from the first movie? Anyone can confirm this?

I must say that I'm quite excited to hear this score after listening to those two leaked tracks, since I really liked what Giacchino did in the two previous scores.

10 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

I caught a bit of the Indominus theme in there. And I think those four notes at the begining are Williams' predator motif from the first movie? Anyone can confirm this?

I must say that I'm quite excited to hear this score after listening to those two leaked tracks, since I really liked what Giacchino did in the two previous scores.

Yep, that's Williams' predator/raptor motif right there. Nice to hear it again, been a while. Giacchino never used it before.

To be fair with Giacchino, some of his scores have normal cue names  alongside the puny ones. Doctor Strange's OST album has "boring" tracks like "Inside the Mirror Dimension" or "Ancient Sorcerer's Secret", but it also has a lot of puns with the word "strange".

19 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Anyone else also prefers Giacchino's first Jurassic World score to Fallen Kingdom's? The first one is pretty decent, but FK, as Kasey puts it, is just a Chris Young-wannabe. It also doesn't help that the movie is horrible.

A Chris Young wannabe is still fun to listen to though!

Just as I always found James Horner’s Elfman ripoffs to be better than Elfman himself. 

20 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Opposite opinion here - I prefer the FK score (and it's far better recorded) and I preferred the second movie too. I thought the first film was just really dumb.

Both scores(and films) were average at best. For me, FK was the lesser score in comparison to the first one. The use of a death choir during the indoraptor on the rooftops was overscoring at its finest. I remember walking out of theater thinking wtf was that? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

19 hours ago, Evanus said:

Yep, that's Williams' predator/raptor motif right there. Nice to hear it again, been a while. Giacchino never used it before.

And the “impact thremors “tremolo from t rex chase is there too i think

2 hours ago, p0llux said:

Both scores(and films) were average at best. For me, FK was the lesser score in comparison to the first one. The use of a death choir during the indoraptor on the rooftops was overscoring at its finest. I remember walking out of theater thinking wtf was that? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gloriously overscored!! It is a movie that had a mutant dinosaur on top of a mansion at night! Giacchino got the tone right, better than the script for sure. These movies are supposed to be fun!

So, did you hear the OST for JWD has leaked?

Having had a listen... maybe I'm missing the context, but I honestly think that the music for JWFK was better. This one's a lot of violin flourishes and heavy percussion. I had to check that I was actually listening to Giacchino and not some RCP score.

Having said that, maybe it works in context, and maybe there's stronger material that is, as usual, excluded from the OST.

The cover is indeed atrocious, but I really liked the score! 

There's a lot of more electronic elements this time like guitars and synths (maybe due to Covid?), but it works really well alongside Gia's orchestral music.

Sure, the album is very long and there's a lot of suspense cues that could've been cut, but the action music is pretty fun and the new themes are decent.

Im sad they did not continue the 'logo' covers since jurassic world. At least kingdom had it in the booklet...

55 minutes ago, scallenger said:

I echo that the cover is awful. What is this movie called? CHRIS PRATT AND THE RAPTORS OF DOOM? Jesus.

Hmm maybe its intentional... atrocious cover with atrociraptors...

8 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Im sad they did not continue the 'logo' covers since jurassic world. At least kingdom had it in the booklet...

Hmm maybe its intentional... atrocious cover with atrociraptors...

Someone (not sure who again) made 6 covers for all 6 films with the 'logo'. They're quite good

9 minutes ago, Anthony said:

That might be me you're referring to.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Shame on them for using that JP3 logo! Original one with the Spino skeleton is far better. Other than that they're pretty good. 

3 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I'm guessing all the incidental suspense cues are included because ya'll kept complaining about missing music! 

Honestly Fallen Kingdom was quite comprehensive already. I just liked having the added minimal horror stuff. (and the restored chorus for one track)

I also listened to whats out there and find myself not enjoying it as much as the last outing. But there is still some good stuff in here... and a few tracks that remind me of JP3 surprisingly.

I am just missing a strong new theme.

12 hours ago, TSMefford said:

I echo the sentiments that the cover art is absolutely terrible.

JW: FK wasn't must better

12 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

Honestly Fallen Kingdom was quite comprehensive already. I just liked having the added minimal horror stuff. (and the restored chorus for one track)

I also listened to whats out there and find myself not enjoying it as much as the last outing. But there is still some good stuff in here... and a few tracks that remind me of JP3 surprisingly.

I am just missing a strong new theme.

Any notable JW (as in Williams) motif quotes not previously mentioned?