Michael Giacchino's JURASSIC WORLD: DOMINION (2022)

Jay

Just now, Fargo said:

32 damn tracks on this album. I miss the OSTs that could represent the music in a film with under 15 tracks.

Congratulation.

You've just taken your first step into a larger universe! 😉

( too bad more folks here don't agree😣)

1 hour ago, Fargo said:

32 damn tracks on this album. I miss the OSTs that could represent the music in a film with under 15 tracks.

Once you get rid of the end credits weirdly being played twice, the JP album really was perfect. 

In the digital age people just expect you to eliminate what you dont like yourself.

And I dont mind at all, but I can see the other side as fair as well.

Enjoying the score, though I’m really missing the choir, which was one of my favorite parts of JW and FK. :(

Do you think they couldn’t have choir in this one because of COVID restrictions when they recorded the score in April 2021?

The choir in FK felt natural as it was a more gothic sounding score.

I'm only on track 2 of this so far and really liking the score so far. This track in particular just keeps building!

And given that the complete score for FK is only about 2 hours, this can't be far short of complete. Surprisingly it's only £9 at 7Digital so there's going to be a certain point of progress on Spotify where I just go ahead and buy it...

Just saw the film.

It sounds like almost all the music is on the album. There are a few action bits from the third act not on there.

I would've traded that for some.of the suspense music. But other than that I really like this score.

The album is far too long from a pure listening experience perspective - it took me two sittings. But I like all the music and am about to buy it. From a preservationist and Jurassic fan perspective, long albums are good.

3 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Once you get rid of the end credits weirdly being played twice, the JP album really was perfect. 

weird, since the entire thing fits in a single CD

I always considered myself to be one of the completionists that want every cue in the movie... But this album makes a great case for the other side of the Force. A lot of boring suspense cues that could've been cut, which in turn would make the highlights of the score shine brighter.

The first two JW scores had pretty good albums. I don't think there were many good unreleased cues on them. 

21 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I always considered myself to be one of the completionists that want every cue in the movie... But this album makes a great case for the other side of the Force. A lot of boring suspense cues that could've been cut, which in turn would make the highlights of the score shine brighter.

The first two JW scores had pretty good albums. I don't think there were many good unreleased cues on them. 

I missed 2 big action cues for the Indorex in the first JW soundtrack, but other than that they were both very well put together yeah.

Screenshot_2022-03-03-18-04-48.png

8 hours ago, Fargo said:

So, Fargo, KOTM , Me and Thor are now members of THE LISTENABILITY BRIGADE.

The counter revolution has begun!😁

Screenshot_2022-03-13-22-51-03.png

46 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Why do you even hang out here?

46 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Maybe the rest of us should change our opinions to match yours and give up on those missing cues since you personally don’t want them.

That would be a good start😄

2 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Giacchino scores have highlights?

You really have to dig for them among the sixty odd cues he dumps on us.

Edmilson puts it well (not that Aaron will understand it)

Screenshot_2022-06-10-23-27-04.png

11 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Soundtrack collectors then: Not enough music!

Soundtrack collectors now: Too much music!

DAMMIT Jim! I'm a CONNOISSEUR, not a collector

It's not too long if you have the choice to skip, remove and create your own listening experience without needing a professional editing suite. 

Some scores have a better narrative structure that you can listen to them from start to finish in complete form, others not so much and that's all down to the film's narrative too.

It really boils down to what I've said all along:

I'd rather have more music now than wait twenty years, complaining on a forum for some speciality label to produce it. 

The thing that confuses me about Bruce is that he still edits his own albums for the scores he listens to. It'd be one thing if he was too old fashioned to know how to use the technology to achieve that, but he's got a whole system down to a science. Which makes me ask: shouldn't the C&C approach make it easier for one to make better albums?

Actually , I don't edit albums, I program them each time I listen.

The program takes many listens to create.

Only scores I really love inspire me to take the time to create a playlist.

If I'm on the fence , I'll pass on a score that is hopelessly bloated

I can't tell you how many.times folks have posted they couldn't get into a release; then, after I give them MY program, they say " thank you, I enjoy it now".

It's in Composers own best interest to make an attempt at creating a great listening experience.

Just look at the albums created by people like JW, MMorricone, Zimmer* Goldsmith.

They understood this.

* I bought the two disc of version of INTERSTELLAR and KOTM!

So the CD release will only contain 22 tracks, runtime 1:17:23:

1 Jurassi-Logos/Dinow This - 2:33

2 It's Like Herding Parasaurolophus - 2:46

3 Upsy-Maisie - 1:42

4 Clonely You/The Hunters Become the Hunted - 2:37

5 The Campfire in Her Soul - 1:45

6 Hay of the Locusts - 1:11

7 A Sattler State of Affairs/Alan for Granted/Sattler? I Barely Know Her - 2:42

8 The Wages of Biosyn - 3:49

9 Free-Range Kidnapping - 4:32

10 A-Biosyn' We Will Go - 3:53

11 This Dodgson Burns Bright/The Maltese Dragons - 4:54

12 In Contempt of Delacourt/Dance of the Atrociraptors - 5:24

13 The Geneticist's Gambit/Cicadian Rhythms - 6:14

14 A Dimetrodon a Dozen - 4:14

15 She Shoots, She Scorches - 3:12

16 Gigantosaurus on Your Life - 1:52

17 Ladder and Subtract/What's Your Major Malcolm Function/Six Degrees of Evacuation - 3:49

18 Gotta Shut Down the Blah Blah Blah - 1:38

19 Wu-Ing for Redemption - 1:46

20 Battle Royale with Reprise/Six Days Seven Denouements - 5:09

21 All the Jurassic World's a Rage - 2:43

22 Suite, Suite Dino Revenge - 8:58

Source: https://www.ccmusic.com/michael-giacchino-jurassic-world-dominion-original-soundtrack/665415408843

Strangely Wu-Ing for Redemption is only 1:46 on the CD release (3:35 on the digital version), maybe they only included the first half of it on the OST (the track can be easily edited so it could make sense).

Anyway, I really wonder why labels that bother making physical releases can't put them out on 2 CDs, it's not like it would cost a lot more for them.

I don't see any point in buying this if it's missing 30 minutes of music... and then people will wonder why the CD format is dying!

5 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Giacchino scores have highlights?

I distinctly remember much discussion of almost every bit of Star Trek

1 hour ago, HunterTech said:

Which makes me ask: shouldn't the C&C approach make it easier for one to make better albums?

That's part of the point

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

I don't see any point in buying this if it's missing 30 minutes of music... and then people will wonder why the CD format is dying!

I briefly looked on Amazon before buying from 7Digital (just in case a CD was cheaper) and only found an expensive import, and just assumed it would contain the same content.

And I too am rather amazed they bothered doing a pressing, especially if they have to create a new program specially for it.

I hate to mention it again, as I try to avoid complaining about things that really don't matter, but what the hell is up with that cover art? It really is shit. It's like someone missed off a layer where all the white background is, and put a dinosaur from a comic on there. I hope someone can make a really awesome alternate cover.

Edit - boom: (courtesy of AA exchange)

michaelgiacchino_jurassicworlddominio_f7

In the age of digital it would be far easier to just do two releases - one as complete as the composer is comfy with, and another rearranged for optimal listening. Isham's the only compooser I know of who's tried it a few times.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Can't see the image.

This one looks like the cover to JURASSIC WORLD: The Definitive Collection of Music from the Jurassic Park and Jurassic World Trilogies - performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and the Crouch End Festival Chorus, conducted by Nic Raine.

IMG_20220611_142845.png

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

More albums should do what Danny Elfman did for his Goosebumps score:

Program a listening experience that works well on album. Then after the main program, include a bunch of bonus tracks/the rest of the score.

Everyone can enjoy the main program, and real score nerds can then assemble their own expanded/complete version.

Bonus points if it comes with instructions for the chronological version

6 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I briefly looked on Amazon before buying from 7Digital (just in case a CD was cheaper) and only found an expensive import, and just assumed it would contain the same content.

And I too am rather amazed they bothered doing a pressing, especially if they have to create a new program specially for it.

I hate to mention it again, as I try to avoid complaining about things that really don't matter, but what the hell is up with that cover art? It really is shit. It's like someone missed off a layer where all the white background is, and put a dinosaur from a comic on there. I hope someone can make a really awesome alternate cover.

If you bother to check Back Lot Music's youtube channel, you will find out JW3 has 3 different cover arts 

- Chris Pratt on a motorcycle (the one used on Apple Music for example)

- a portrait of Giganotosaurus (the more widely used version, also the physical CD cover)

- the classic black/orange T-Rex skull used on youtube

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Did nobody else notice Da Plane and Da Cycle isn't on the CD version??? 

WTF??? 

This is nuts, the one cue that is released the earliest and supposed to be a music highlight (which it is) is left out from the physical album

Great that the digital release is almost complete. The selection for the CD version apparently leaves out some of my favorite tracks.

My highlights playlist is 62 min. including the following tracks:

1- (1) Jurassi-logos/Dinow This 

2- (3) It's Like Herding Parasaurolophus 

3- (4) Upsy-Maisie 

4- (5) Clonely You/The Hunters Become the Hunted 

5- (8) A Sattler State of Affairs, Alan For Granted, Sattler-I Barely Know Her 

6- (9) The Wages of Biosyn 

7- (11) A-Biosyn We Will Go 

8- (13) You're So Cute When You Smuggle

9- (15) Da Plane and Da Cycle 

10- (16) You're Making Me Feel Wu-zy 

11- (19) A Dimetrodon a Dozen 

12- (21) Gigantosaurus On Your Life 

13- (24) Gotta Shut Down the Blah Blah Blah

14- (27) Wu-ing For Redemption 

15- (28) Battle Royale With Reprise, Six Days Seven Denouments 

16- (29) A-O-Kayla 

17- (30) All the Jurassic World's a Rage 

18- (31) Larry Curly and MOE 

19- (32) Suite, Suite Dino Revenge 

If I would select the tracks for a 1 CD, 77 min. version I would include also:

10 - "Free Range Kidnaping" 
14- "In Contempt..."

22- "Ladder And Subtract..."

I listened through the first half of the album in the car yesterday, and apart from the noticeably low volume, I really enjoyed it.

Some less positive aspects - there's no dominating new theme that I could pick out. The first two scores have very clear new primary themes, and while this does have some new themes, they didn't come to the front as a primary identity for me.

Also, the music tends to just stop quite a lot, just as an idea or melodic crescendo is developing.

Those issues aside, it's got some cracking action, some subtle references to JW's themes and just some really beautiful moments. I actually like several of the action cues more than Da Plane and Da Motorcycle - I'm a little surprised that of all of them to release as a single, they chose that one.

On 10/06/2022 at 6:58 AM, Gibster said:

It’s not

This is the opening logo in the film and it's heard on the first track on the album at te end (2:11)

And after seeing the film twice I don't really understand the multiple titles.

The tracks all plays continuously in the film and Giacchino has never really done the multiple titles.

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

This is the opening logo in the film and it's heard on the first track on the album at te end (2:11)

And after seeing the film twice I don't really understand the multiple titles.

The tracks all plays continuously in the film and Giacchino has never really done the multiple titles.

It’s similar but not the same thing

I watched the movie yesterday (which was quite silly, but fun) and I have gone through the whole score just a couple of times, and I have to say that it's quite good, but I think not on the level of Fallen Kingdom.

I really like what Giacchino does with all the pre-existing themes, his own as well as Williams themes. He offers some new and interesting variations which I really loved, and also has some really cool action pieces (especially in the sequence that happens in Malta). My main issue it's the same that @Richard Penna states here

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Some less positive aspects - there's no dominating new theme that I could pick out. The first two scores have very clear new primary themes, and while this does have some new themes, they didn't come to the front as a primary identity for me.

The first Jurassic World had all the new ideas presented with great development, and Fallen Kingdom had a couple of new really strong themes. This one is a bit more disperse on the new ideas, as well as what they represent. The suite does a good job of summarizing them, but even after watching the movie, I don't really know what each theme represents, as the moments that stood out where the ones with previously established themes.

That said, it took me a couple of listens to the Fallen Kingdom score to get used to it's new themes, and now the Fallen Kingdom theme it's on my favourite's from Giacchino, so perhaps it's just time. Has anyone managed to figure out what the different themes are and what they represent?