Michael Giacchino's JURASSIC WORLD: DOMINION (2022)

Jay

In Contempt of Delacourt has some nice shades of The Lost World, it's just a shame that it was buried under loud, obnoxious sound effects.

This is very disappointing about the CD release. Of all the tracks to leave off the album... LOL. Especially after they showcased it. Kind of a joke! Still going to get it, but truly as a "completeness sake" trophy of sorts, lol.

EDIT: Now the Dominion OST CD says it will be released in July on Amazon. Blegh.

Screenshot_2022-06-13-19-51-50.png

Screenshot_2022-06-13-19-49-10~3.png

😣😣😣😣😰😰

On 11/06/2022 at 5:33 AM, JTWfan77 said:

Can't see the image.

This one looks like the cover to JURASSIC WORLD: The Definitive Collection of Music from the Jurassic Park and Jurassic World Trilogies - performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and the Crouch End Festival Chorus, conducted by Nic Raine.

IMG_20220611_142845.png

I really like this art.

What is wrong with you people?!

46 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Weren't you literally just complaining a few pages earlier about the digital release being too long?

I sympathize with Scallenger.

I understand his frustration.

I remember being disappointed the " Docking" cue was originally left off INTERSTELLAR.

Same with the end titles of THE FIRST AVENGER.

But, it's not the end of the world😁

Any , Are you really expecting consistency or logic from a man who looks like the guy in the picture ?!😄😉

This whole thing is fucked. Seriously, if they're going to bother with a CD release at least they should try and include what they can. Once again, all the attention goes to bloody vinyl.

3 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I sympathize with Scallenger.

I understand his frustration.

I remember being disappointed the " Docking" cue was originally left off INTERSTELLAR.

Same with the end titles of THE FIRST AVENGER.

But, it's not the end of the world😁

Absolutely, it's not the end of the world.  Me, personally, I don't worry about the exact form that the score takes in its official release, since I always just make my own edits to deal with anything that I don't like about a given score release.

Any , Are you really expecting consistency or logic from a man who looks like the guy in the picture ?!😄😉

The guy in your meme was consistent and logical, because "It's not complete" and "there's a cue missing" mean the same thing.

Anyways, what I was getting at is that you constantly mock Expansion fans as being irrationally angry about not having enough music, then turn around and actually get angry when a score is released with more music than you, personally, would like to listen to.

I just thought of all cues to not have on the CD it is hilarious that it's the one that was first released online in full officially, haha. And for good reason: it's one of the biggest standout tracks of of score. 

12 minutes ago, scallenger said:

I just thought of all cues to not have on the CD it is hilarious that it's the one that was first released online in full officially, haha. And for good reason: it's one of the biggest standout tracks of of score. 

Yeah, it also felt to me like you were just making a funny observation about what a strange decision it was to leave it off.

On 12/6/2022 at 5:17 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

Hah! I just noticed the melody at the end of track 5, with the kind of 80's computer sound beats...is Giacchino's Lost World Raptor theme!

I

Nice catch. Pretty sure “Free Range Kidnapping” opens with the raptor theme as well on soft woodwind. It would make sense since the two scenes basically follow into each other.

9 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

Nice catch. Pretty sure “Free Range Kidnapping” opens with the raptor theme as well on soft woodwind as well. It would make sense since the two scenes basically follow into each other.

not his first time using snippets from The Lost World game in JW franchise. In the "Raptor Your Heart Out" from the first movie, the raptor theme from the game is also used as a propulsive rhythmic pattern which fits perfectly in an action track

Clemensen's review is up

https://www.filmtracks.com/titles/jurassic_dominion.html

I mostly agree with him, in the sense that I think it's a good score with some cool moments, but it doesn't have new themes as strong as the ones in Fallen Kingdom, which is (for me) far superior to this one.

I'm in the cinema now with the end credits playing and to add insult to injury that "Da Plane and Da Cycle" isn't on the physical CD edition, the entire cue plays in the end credits on top of being used in full in a memorable scene in the film.

I can't fathom the thought process that led to it not being included on the CD edition 

So now that I've seen the movie I still have no idea what any of the new themes represent lol

I will say that I didn't notice any cool music in the film that I didn't remember form the OST album

So I don't think there's any major unreleased highlights or anything

On 14/06/2022 at 8:15 AM, Arpy said:

This whole thing is fucked. Seriously, if they're going to bother with a CD release at least they should try and include what they can. Once again, all the attention goes to bloody vinyl.

Actually, if you look closely at pictures on Mondo website, it looks like the vinyl set presents the same programme as the CD.

Karol

There is a funny spotting moment in this film

There's a prologue, then some other scenes with the World characters, etc, it's all scored fine.

Then Laura Dern has her introduction scene out of the blue, and there's no music at all

Then Sam Neill has his introduction scene out of the blue, and his reveal is scored with the main theme from the first movie as like a big hero moment.

Why?

10 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm in the cinema now with the end credits playing and to add insult to injury that "Da Plane and Da Cycle" isn't on the physical CD edition, the entire cue plays in the end credits on top of being used in full in a memorable scene in the film.

I can't fathom the thought process that led to it not being included on the CD edition 

Yeah, exactly this. It's so puzzling and weird to omit it on ANY score release, especially given that it is not a very long cue! There is easily some more boring underscore that could have been edited or cut to have made room for it. It really is a bizarre choice.

I rank this score as my second favorite of the trilogy, with Fallen Kingdom taking the top spot easily. The first Jurassic World may have most of the best themes, but that score as a whole (especially in complete form) just has too slow of a pace for a Jurassic score, musically. I'm not sure if Colin at the time gave him misdirection to not make the music be so... lively... but it's just really kind of there. That and the recording quality of that score isn't very good compared to Fallen Kingdom and Dominion. Dominion on the other hand is a really fun listen all the way through, even with its less memorable new themes. Like the film, it's a nice fun ride but not nearly as impressive, insane, and masterful as Fallen Kingdom's score.

Anyone want to take a stab at what the new themes might represent, and maybe post some timestamps they can be heard in outside of the suite?

55 minutes ago, Jay said:

There is a funny spotting moment in this film

There's a prologue, then some other scenes with the World characters, etc, it's all scored fine.

Then Laura Dern has her introduction scene out of the blue, and there's no music at all

Then Sam Neill has his introduction scene out of the blue, and his reveal is scored with the main theme from the first movie as like a big hero moment.

Why?

Trevorrow doesn’t see the wimmins as heroes. Why else is Chris Pratt always marketed as the star of this trilogy when BDH has more screentime?

Not that I resent such, of course.

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

Anyone want to take a stab at what the new themes might represent, and maybe post sometime stamps they can be heard in outside of the suite?

No thanks. This went in one ear and out the other. Would be the least interesting Jurassic score if JW1’s recording and performance weren’t so awful. FK still has the Giacchino rigidness, but I enjoy it.

19 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Trevorrow doesn’t see the wimmins as heroes. Why else is Chris Pratt always marketed as the star of this trilogy when BDH has more screentime?

Not that I resent such, of course.

Really? Claire saved the day in JW, and Ellie Sattler is the main drive among the classic characters here.

I'm just being cheeky, don't mind me. Having to make up for years of building a reputation of being a BDH simp.

(But Chris Pratt does creep me out. He doesn't seem like a real person, even less than usual for a celeb)

Chris Pratt gave awesome performances in everything he was in through like 2014, including all of Parks and Rec, Zero Dark Thirty, Her, The Lego Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy....

then the usual thing happened when people become A listers and now he just kinda does whatever movie and gives the same performance in them.  I guess he's still funny as Star Lord but who cares about anything else

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Chris Pratt gave awesome performances in everything he was in through like 2014, including all of Parks and Rec, Zero Dark Thirty, Her, The Lego Movie, the first Jurassic World....

then the usual thing happened when people become A listers and now he just kinda does whatever movie and gives the same performance in them.  I guess he's still funny as Star Lord but who cares about anything else

Agreed except I think he was already at that point for the first Jurassic World (which I found to be a terrible movie, worse than the previous two Jurassic Park sequels -- Jake Johnson was the only halfway decent part of it, IMO).

I remember really liking Pratt early on in the TV show Everwood.

Yavar

My pleasure!

Sorry about the massive wall of the YT videos, haha. I've put them in spoiler blocks to make it easier to load, hope that helps.

Brilliant work!

I was listening in the car today (warning, excessive playback may result in fast driving) and I now love this score, particularly the Biosyn theme. The action generally has such a fresh sound to it - more cohensive than the first two and the synths do add something. There must be something about Gia's approach in musical terms, but for me there's no dull or uneventful part of this score.

Yea it holds my attention better than listening to the full session leaks of either of the first two scores I think

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Why?

Must have been in.his contract!😅

On 16/06/2022 at 3:21 PM, Knight of Ren said:

Clemensen's review is up

https://www.filmtracks.com/titles/jurassic_dominion.html

I mostly agree with him, in the sense that I think it's a good score with some cool moments, but it doesn't have new themes as strong as the ones in Fallen Kingdom, which is (for me) far superior to this one.

I agree with it as well. Not a bad score, but very bland. Horn, rhythm, horn, a bit of melody sprinkle in...

I also agree there is very little narrative focus. The music felt stale and just there. 

The only time I was truly engaged was when the old themes came back. 

I think the comparisons with Fallen Kingdom are a little harsh, but only because the Biosyn theme has felt more prominent in further listens, and while it's not as strong as the remarkable FK theme, I think that's hardly a reason to conclude as he does that the franchise deserved a better send-off.

He's right that the album is too long for one sitting, but I love the different sound he's lent to the score and there are plenty of new motifs and ideas, and some really good action material, that I consider it a 4-star score.

3 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

The series’ sendoff was Williams’ Lost World.

What follows is an overlong epilogue scored by Don Davis and Michael Giacchino.

I really do like "As the Jurassic World Turns" and the theme in "The Park is Closed" as well as the main theme in Fallen Kingdom. But yeah, The Lost World is next level compared to the Giacchino scores.

13 hours ago, Mephariel said:

I really do like "As the Jurassic World Turns" and the theme in "The Park is Closed"

Both of those cues showcase the same theme (the main theme of the score)