Michael Giacchino's JURASSIC WORLD: DOMINION (2022)

Jay

THANK YOU for explaining that. I was not aware of that terminology! And it drove me crazy trying to understand why it was titled that in Dominion. At first I thought it was a fun reference to Alan, Ellie, and Ian... but in the film it just plays at the start of the end credits. So I was like "why the hell was it called that, then?". And here we are, lol.

3 hours ago, scallenger said:

And it drove me crazy trying to understand why it was titled that in Dominion. At first I thought it was a fun reference to Alan, Ellie, and Ian...

Until I realised it was an end credits piece, I assumed it was a Three Stooges joke, referring to Alan, Ellie and Malcolm as you say, but I couldn't figure out why MOE was capitalised.

I feel like it gets better with repeat listens (unlike Fallen Kingdom's score, which I loved right away). Whether you like the film or not, watching it may also put it in a better context in this case. 

Just now, scallenger said:

I feel like it gets better with repeat listens (unlike Fallen Kingdom's score, which I loved right away). Whether you like the film or not, watching it may also put it in a better context in this case. 

I am going to see it with my mates on Friday night. We are not expecting anything beyond daft fun.

Karol

Do not expect great effects. There is a scene early on involving dinosaurs and horses. 

that looks asylum quality.

Hi, everyone! I used to post here under Score_Fan, although it wasn't particularly often so I don't blame anyone for not remembering me haha. It's a bit of a bump and somewhat off topic, but can anyone identify the instrument used at 1:08-1:23? The bells (?) Thank you!

I don't think this has been brought up before, but there's a typo in the tracklist (at least on the Apple Music version) that's been annoying me. Track 21 should be "Giganotosaurus On Your Life" (with the pun being the "not" part of Giganotosaurus), but Apple Music has Track 21 listed as "Gigantosaurus On Your Life", almost like someone started to spell "gigantic" by mistake.

Anyway, I really hope someone catches/corrects that before the tracklist gets printed on any CDs or the Mondo vinyl...

Oh, how nice. I preordered the cd from amazon, at it has the autorip function, so i own the full digital edition legally too!

i hope it is not a flaw and gets changed in the future to only feature the cd tracks… 

I think that happened when I got the CD of Interstellar. The autorip gave me whatever 'deluxe' version was out at the time.

Why would you be fussed about them changing it in future when you can just download and keep it now?

23 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I think that happened when I got the CD of Interstellar. The autorip gave me whatever 'deluxe' version was out at the time.

Why would you be fussed about them changing it in future when you can just download and keep it now?

Oh i thought it was only available from

Amazon music player or app kind of streaming

Just watched the movie. It was quite bloated, and ridiculous, and overcrowded, and stuff. Gone is the more grounded approach of the first two, it's all just silly gibberish now. But I enjoyed it more than FK, for what it's worth. It wasn't good but there were some entertaining bits.

Can't recall any extra music of interest.

Karol

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, DemonStar said:

It was there in the Qobuz version too

It was?

That disc looks gnarly! Shame the cue selections are apparently weird, but this score went in one ear and out the other so I guess ya’ll can just grab this if you want a cool-looking disc to stare at.

The cd selection got all the williams quotes (a rarity because they usually leave some of these out*) but i think is missing crucial action material and the cd ends being too underscore-y, or that was my 1st impression.

*damn, its missing the lovely Larry curly and moe. A crime.

3 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

The cd selection got all the williams quotes (a rarity because they usually leave some of these out*) but i think is missing crucial action material and the cd ends being too underscore-y, or that was my 1st impression.

*damn, its missing the lovely Larry curly and moe. A crime.

A great composer makes the underscore as interesting as the set pieces.

Finally caught the film and actually enjoyed the pulpy nonsense of it all. Helped that I spent 2 months seeing everyone trash it, so my expectations were low.

Thought Gia's score was great! Not as good as Fallen Kingdom but much more mature than Jurassic World. The cue where Grant/Ellie fly to Biosyn was an instant favourite (A-Biosyn We Will Go). Da Bike and Da Plane obviously. Therizinosaurus Will Be Blood is incredibly effective in the film, as was the opening logo cue (album mix is disappointingly muted by comparison).

Love the early cues with Blue and Beta, especially the music on oboe as she ventures through the snow (1:01 onwards, track 5). Love how the theme returns with broader orchestration when the two raptors journey in tandem, nice touch. The flute material that opens Free-Range Kidnapping is gorgeous; doesn't seem to be a recurring idea sadly... it really should be.

All the percussive material for the Malta scenes works a treat, fantastically recorded too. I appreciated the restraint and more emotional grounding for the last few cues (both the montage in A-O-Kayla and the various goodbyes in All The Jurassic World's A Rage). A lovely way to close the trilogy, especially the rarely used B-section of the Jurassic Park theme in the end credits.

There's definitely a maturity to Gia's writing across the trilogy and he's improved out of sight integrating JW's material alongside his own (maybe except the island fanfare in that moment with the Giga).

Has anyone checked the film to see what's unreleased from the digital album? At first glance the Pyroraptor on Ice cue seems to be missing, also the cue where Dilophosaurs are stalking Claire. Overall I think the highlights are accounted for though, and all the Williams quotes are intact... and the sessions will leak within a year so whatever :D

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

The flute material that opens Free-Range Kidnapping is gorgeous; doesn't seem to be a recurring idea sadly... it really should be.

Well it is used in "Clonely you/The Hunters Become the hunted" at 2:05.

It's Giacchino's Raptor theme from "The Lost World" videogame.

Also used in the 1st film, Sessions tracks "Bond of Brothers" at 1:50 and "Raptor your heart out" at 2:10.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Has anyone checked the film to see what's unreleased from the digital album? At first glance the Pyroraptor on Ice cue seems to be missing, also the cue where Dilophosaurs are stalking Claire. Overall I think the highlights are accounted for though, and all the Williams quotes are intact... and the sessions will leak within a year so whatever :D

The one you mentioned + the plane attack by the Quetzalcoatlus.

The chase in Malta is missing some stuff.

And some small cues are missing when Claire & Ellie fight the Locusts when trying to get the power back on. I think those are the most important ones

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Finally caught the film and actually enjoyed the pulpy nonsense of it all. Helped that I spent 2 months seeing everyone trash it, so my expectations were low.

I particularly enjoy the ridiculously trashy Malta sequence. Cat laser trained dinosaur assasins, dinosaur black market, Tintin-like over the top motorcycle chase sequence. It's just hilariously entertaining. 

And I do enjoy the score actually. 

Karol

17 hours ago, crocodile said:

I particularly enjoy the ridiculously trashy Malta sequence. Cat laser trained dinosaur assasins, dinosaur black market, Tintin-like over the top motorcycle chase sequence. It's just hilariously entertaining. 

And I do enjoy the score actually. 

Karol

The Malta scenes were probably the film's strongest, even though it started to feel like a Bond film on steroids. But it opened the door for future directions to take the franchise (dinosaur trafficking, Triceratops horns becoming the new ivory trade, militia fighting for the imprinting tech that can control raptors, etc).

Would be cool to see another big game hunter enter the fray, like Ronald Tembo in TLW. I'd love to see a T-Rex hunt in the African Savannah.

It's funny that across the JW trilogy, most of Spielberg's batshit crazy concepts from John Sayles' abandoned Jurassic Park 4 script eventually came to fruition. Dino hybrids (Indominus, Indoraptor), trained raptors used in warfare (and turning against their owners), a giant mansion housing a secret dinosaur lab in the Swiss Alps (ultimately split in half between the Lockwood Estate in FK and Biosyn's Sanctuary in JWD).

They wisely ignored the dreadful human/dinosaur hybrids idea though, but I half expected that would be the big reveal with Maisie in JWD.

On 29/07/2022 at 3:17 AM, Luke Skywalker said:

It's Giacchino's Raptor theme from "The Lost World" videogame.

Really?! I've listened to that soundtrack plenty of times and didn't recognise it! Which track on his TLW soundtrack?

Definitely noticed his cheeky quote in the first Jurassic World score though (when the raptors are chasing the vans).

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Really?! I've listened to that soundtrack plenty of times and didn't recognise it! Which track on his TLW soundtrack?

Definitely noticed his cheeky quote in the first Jurassic World score though (when the raptors are chasing the vans).

The very opening of “climbing the tower” 

the opening 30 seconds of “laboratory hunt”

1:57-end of “break of freedom”

Opening of “forest explodes” and several reditions throughout.

those are all raptor levels. The compy and trex also have disticnt motifs, but he didnt use them 

i realised recently that many instruments in this score are samples, so it is not as orchestral as it should and sufferts a little for it

On 28/06/2022 at 4:11 PM, Max said:

I don't think this has been brought up before, but there's a typo in the tracklist (at least on the Apple Music version) that's been annoying me. Track 21 should be "Giganotosaurus On Your Life" (with the pun being the "not" part of Giganotosaurus), but Apple Music has Track 21 listed as "Gigantosaurus On Your Life", almost like someone started to spell "gigantic" by mistake.

Anyway, I really hope someone catches/corrects that before the tracklist gets printed on any CDs or the Mondo vinyl...

This is spelled wrong on the back cover of the physical CD edition as well

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Oooh multiple versions of things... should be a cracking session leak someday!

I still hope we get an official release of the complete scores for the three JW films. (maybe MM might be able to do something about that?)