Trumpet Concerto - New Recording for Trumpet & Piano

Disco Stu

19 minutes ago, ricsim88 said:

Interesting. Name doesn’t ring a bell. The reason for the 1st and 2nd movement being 1 track, is that in this unrevised version, the 2 are connected without a break.

Williams revised the ending of the first movement specifically for the Tom Hooten recording. 

I'd completely forgotten about that!  He never can resist tinkering.

THREE recordings for this now, while others have none, or abysmal ones (like the clarinet concerto). A scandal! 

In all seriousness, thanks for the heads-up. I'll check it out on streaming platforms, but I think I'm all set for this piece, having both the Sandoval and Hooten albums (former on CD, latter as digital files).

1 hour ago, ricsim88 said:

Interesting. Name doesn’t ring a bell. The reason for the 1st and 2nd movement being 1 track, is that in this unrevised version, the 2 are connected without a break.

Williams revised the ending of the first movement specifically for the Tom Hooten recording. 

I think he has revised it previously for the first movement to be played as a standalone piece.  He then incorporated into the full concerto. 

3 hours ago, Tom said:

I think he has revised it previously for the first movement to be played as a standalone piece.  He then incorporated into the full concerto. 

I thought Tom  mentioned that the new 1st mvt ending was done specifically for this recording, but I could be mistaken. 

54 minutes ago, ricsim88 said:

I thought Tom  mentioned that the new 1st mvt ending was done specifically for this recording, but I could be mistaken. 

The new ending was originally written for Tom to perform with the Marine Band in 2016, here:

From the program note of that concert:

The original ending to the first movement of the concerto subsides and quietly segues into the second movement. Mr. Williams has composed a new coda for the first movement specifically for this concert by Mr. Hooten and the U.S. Marine Band. Today’s performance represents the world première of this new music, which will stand as an alternative ending for future performances of the first movement alone.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The new ending was originally written for Tom to perform with the Marine Band in 2016, here:

From the program note of that concert:

Perhaps the orchestra version was done for the recording.