Star Wars A New Hope 2-LP Walt Disney Records

The Dark Trilogy

42 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Wow, that's the Bluray master? I thought it was scrubbed of grain and looked waxy? That's a mess of ugly video noise.

No. That was from the DVD print (not the DVD footage, the 1080p scan used for the DVD transfers). The problem is that the DVD print is too grainy, while the Blu-Ray is too waxy. I wish we'd be able to get something in the middle that actually looks good. I was hoping that'd be the case for the 4K version, but it appears to just be an upscaled Blu-Ray transfer.

15 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

No. That was from the DVD print (not the DVD footage, the 1080p scan used for the DVD transfers). The problem is that the DVD print is too grainy, while the Blu-Ray is too waxy. I wish we'd be able to get something in the middle that actually looks good. I was hoping that'd be the case for the 4K version, but it appears to just be an upscaled Blu-Ray transfer.

Yeah I figured that was going to happen when the Disney+ version had the same DNR issues as the Bluray. I don't know why they couldn't just go back and upscale the master before it was scrubbed. 

Oh well, it's only the prequels. They are never going to look good in high resolution because they were only rendered at 1080p. There is simply no new detail to gain via a 4K release (which makes it all the worse to scrub away what little detail was there).

On 4/20/2020 at 3:04 PM, phbart said:

According to IMDb, the 1999 japanese laserdisc is the only released version of the theatrical edition (which I assume it was sourced from a film print).

The initial VHS release too.

On 4/19/2020 at 10:04 PM, phbart said:

I don't think so because the 2001 DVD is not the same as the 1999 theatrical edition, so it couldn't have come from a film print. According to IMDb, the 1999 japanese laserdisc is the only released version of the theatrical edition (which I assume it was sourced from a film print).

The theatrical version was also released on VHS.

In these Trumpian Coronian times, have we forgotten about tape?

7 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

The theatrical version was also released on VHS.

In these Trumpian Coronian times, have we forgotten about tape?

I've loooong forgot about VHS.

Not that anyone should care but apparently this was pushed back to Oct 30 according to Amazon.fr, de and nl. De still says CD.

I'm a little surprised LLL haven't licensed the JP scores for vinyl, actually. Did someone else beat them to the punch?

Hipsters snap up every vinyl mondo releases but aren't drawn to LLL or Intrada's vinyl offerings for whatever reason

And they're hyperlimited, and they're already built up as a hipstersheepfriendly brand.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Isn't Doom and Azkaban already on vinyl?

I don't care, I just wanted to show you the most boring and the coolest Bill Clinton that's possible.

I want Superman expanded score Vinyl this time. Im sure LLL will get around it. But it would more than a 2Lp set. 

Seeing that CD pressing plants are closing and clogged up, the labels should divert their attention to producing vinyl instead as long as they include a high resolution digital download on a micro SD card in a hidden compartment.

18 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Seeing that CD pressing plants are closing and clogged up, the labels should divert their attention to producing vinyl instead as long as they include a high resolution digital download on a micro SD card in a hidden compartment.

Digital codes exist....

2 hours ago, Jay said:

You consider The BFG and Far & Away to be boring scores?

They're okay at best. Generic rather than innovative, corny rather than graceful.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

And Stepmom?!?

I actually like that one. It's just there because of the running gag.

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

s-l400.jpg

I remember when I first saw the cassettes of SW and ESB, and the glorious "Two LPs on one cassette". Wonders of technology, I thought.

8 hours ago, phbart said:

Now seriously. It's this one we've been craving for

Screenshot_20200508-201902_eBay.jpg

That cannot be real. What minuscule sliver of music consumers still buys cassettes??

6 hours ago, Bayesian said:

That cannot be real. What minuscule sliver of music consumers still buys cassettes??

It’s real. Cassettes have made a small comeback in recent years, more for nostalgia than anything. Urban Outfitters usually sells them.

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I had nothing better to do. I also made one of ROTS!

Australia actually had an official ROTS VHS.