Jump to content

Star Wars A New Hope 2-LP Walt Disney Records


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can't wait to pick up the 3 disc set for ROTJ!    

Star Wars 2CD - A New HOPE

Something like this would be gorgeous:

7 hours ago, Bayesian said:

That cannot be real. What minuscule sliver of music consumers still buys cassettes??

 

On 6/29/2016 at 3:19 AM, rpvee said:

I'm surprised at the lack of conversation about the vinyl release.  Anyway, now it's out on cassette. lol

 

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/ca/en/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=39421706&category=A-VINYL-NEW

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pleased to report that I've successfully transferred the TROS soundtrack to cassette. Now I can finally listen to it in the worst possible quality!

 

Unfortunately I was halfway through recording when I realized the tape can only hold up to 40 minutes of audio, so I didn't get to record every track. :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

 

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Geez, isn't it lucky they transferred all the music elements in the archives just to re-release the same incomplete OST assembly ad nauseam?

No kidding. How many times are they going to go back to this dried-out husk of a well? Why are they so f*cking allergic to the idea of expanding the score?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

Did they release the remastered version of the score on vinyl before? If not, that release would make some sense but yeah, some expanded release would be much nicer :sigh:

The artwork looks great though.

 

I think this is just the mystery "2CD" release from earlier in the year that got delayed until October, and was later discovered as 2LP (after everyone got their hopes up for an expanded 2CD release).

 

There's been so many vinyl reissues of the score at this point, I have no idea whether the "remastered" versions have already been released on vinyl. This (admittedly beautiful) box set came out in 2017 for the 40th Anniversary:

XVLP69.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

 

I think this is just the mystery "2CD" release from earlier in the year that got delayed until October, and was later discovered as 2LP (after everyone got their hopes up for an expanded 2CD release).

 

It is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jay said:

 

It is.

 

Oh @Jay! I just lost a large edit to my previous post because it moved threads! :(

 

So this release marks the 3rd vinyl reissue of the original soundtrack in 5 years (4th if you include the Demastered CDs), while the last expanded soundtrack was released 23 years ago. Yeah, it was also reissued, but the content never changed.

 

I had such optimism when Sony finally lost the license after decades of inaction, thinking Disney would finally treat the music with the same energy as their new film offerings. How naive I was; at least Sony attempted to expand one of the prequels (even if they fell on their face trying) and probably just didn't see the point of redoing expansions for 4-5-6. But the fact that Disney are now sitting on 9 scores with varying degrees of unreleased music, but releasing nothing except lazy cash-grab reissues of a 43 year old assembly, is so much worse.

 

I just desperately hope that Mike has been making some traction with this, or John himself has personally lobbied to the right people now the saga is finished, so these scores can finally be treated with the respect they deserve. It's beyond farcical at this point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the continued LLL expansions have chipped away at Williams' want for expanded releases anymore than he seems to be content to just let the OSTs stand. Unfortunately I think we won't get expanded SW sets until after Williams is gone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Oh @Jay! I just lost a large edit to my previous post because it moved threads! :(

 

Oh no!  Can you re-create it now?

 

36 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I had such optimism when Sony finally lost the license after decades of inaction, thinking Disney would finally treat the music with the same energy as their new film offerings. How naive I was; at least Sony attempted to expand one of the prequels (even if they fell on their face trying) and probably just didn't see the point of redoing expansions for 4-5-6. But the fact that Disney are now sitting on 9 scores with varying degrees of unreleased music, but releasing nothing except lazy cash-grab reissues of a 43 year old assembly, is so much worse.

 

I don't get how it's worse.  If they are putting out a product you don't want that is just money saved.  There are more people on this planet buying vinyl that CDs in 2020, so they are following the money. Simple as that.

 

36 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I just desperately hope that Mike has been making some traction with this, or John himself has personally lobbied to the right people now the saga is finished, so these scores can finally be treated with the respect they deserve. It's beyond farcical at this point.

 

1 minute ago, Arpy said:

I wonder if the continued LLL expansions have chipped away at Williams' want for expanded releases anymore than he seems to be content to just let the OSTs stand. Unfortunately I think we won't get expanded SW sets until after Williams is gone.

 

I am sure Disney will hire Mike to do all 9 scores eventually, it just hasn't happened yet.  Or maybe it's started, but it is such a large project they will wait for all 9 to be finished before announcing anything

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh no!  Can you re-create it now?

 

Doesn't appear so. I re-wrote half of it above, can't be bothered re-writing the rest (just an exploration of the recent vinyl reissues and all their differences).

 

40 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't get how it's worse.  If they are putting out a product you don't want that is just money saved.  There are more people on this planet buying vinyl that CDs in 2020, so they are following the money. Simple as that.

 

Well, it's worse in the respect that they're content to just reissue an existing album from 43 years ago, rather than do anything new with the material.

 

Arguably not much splits the Sony years with the Disney years (because Sony did this same crap with reissues) but there's some key differences that makes Disney's laziness worse:

  • The volume of unreleased music at Disney's disposal is now substantially higher, in light of the 3 extra films Williams scored for them, so 9 potential expansions rather than 6
  • The two relevant parties (Lucasfilm and Disney Records) are now owned by the same parent company (Walt Disney Studios); a very different situation to the relationship between Sony Music and Lucasfilm (where Sony just had a licence to release Star Wars music but had no real ownership over the material)

 

40 minutes ago, Jay said:

I am sure Disney will hire Mike to do all 9 scores eventually, it just hasn't happened yet.  Or maybe it's started, but it is such a large project they will wait for all 9 to be finished before announcing anything

 

I really hope you're right. I concede it's a huge undertaking tackling all 9 scores but it'd be nice if they bridged the gap with something in the interim (Empire's 40th anniversary seems like an obvious missed opportunity, like Star Wars' 40th a few years back). Just knowing they were being worked on would be a weight off people's shoulders.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Why do people prefer a format that snaps, crackles and pops and wears out after too many listens, to CDs?

I'll indulge ya with my experience of rediscovering the pleasure of vinyl. One day I went over to my friends house cause he just bought a turntable to use at his DJ gigs. He was quite excited about it. This was around 2002/2003. He had it connected to his home theater in a box (remember those) set up which was probably around $300 total (receiver and 6 speakers). He played a recording from the 80's that I myself was quite familiar with but only on CD and as the song went on my jaw continued to drop. I heard bass on it for the first time. A warmness. Why did this vinyl record played on a cheap stereo blow away my stereo set up in which I had invested thousands of dollars on?

 

I was hooked and thankfully at the time I could go to used record shops and buy these albums again on vinyl (for like $5) and over the next decade or so I amassed quite the collection plus I still had my records from when I was a kid. Like my beloved Empire soundtrack. 

 

One of my favorite things to do was to have friends come over and I would play them "Processional" from the Sound of Music. First on CD and when that organ kicks they would be very impressed and ask what kind of sub do I have? I'd laugh...then, I would pull out the vinyl that I inherited from my parents and proceed to play the same track at the same volume and they would freak out! One day my friend who came over brought his 7(?) year old son with him just so I could do the same for him. I'll never forget the words that this kid screamed, "make it stop, I'm scared!"

 

I'll take a few snaps and crackles here and there to be able to experience music in a full and robust sound. Unfortunately todays pressed vinyl has the same brickwalled mastering as it's CD equivalent at $29.99 so there's no reason to buy a lot of new records today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Darth Porkins said:

I'll indulge ya with my experience of rediscovering the pleasure of vinyl. One day I went over to my friends house cause he just bought a turntable to use at his DJ gigs. He was quite excited about it. This was around 2002/2003. He had it connected to his home theater in a box (remember those) set up which was probably around $300 total (receiver and 6 speakers). He played a recording from the 80's that I myself was quite familiar with but only on CD and as the song went on my jaw continued to drop. I heard bass on it for the first time. A warmness. Why did this vinyl record played on a cheap stereo blow away my stereo set up in which I had invested thousands of dollars on?

 

I was hooked and thankfully at the time I could go to used record shops and buy these albums again on vinyl (for like $5) and over the next decade or so I amassed quite the collection plus I still had my records from when I was a kid. Like my beloved Empire soundtrack. 

 

One of my favorite things to do was to have friends come over and I would play them "Processional" from the Sound of Music. First on CD and when that organ kicks they would be very impressed and ask what kind of sub do I have? I'd laugh...then, I would pull out the vinyl that I inherited from my parents and proceed to play the same track at the same volume and they would freak out! One day my friend who came over brought his 7(?) year old son with him just so I could do the same for him. I'll never forget the words that this kid screamed, "make it stop, I'm scared!"

 

I'll take a few snaps and crackles here and there to be able to experience music in a full and robust sound. Unfortunately todays pressed vinyl has the same brickwalled mastering as it's CD equivalent at $29.99 so there's no reason to buy a lot of new records today.

 

They wear out when you play them too much. Playing the record damages the record.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bespin said:

Having played vynils since almost 40 years, I can confirm each playing eats a little bit of the sound.

 

I'm sorry for the hipsters that just discovered vynil!

 

If you are nostalgic a about the vintage sound, buy CDs and use a tube amp, you idiots.

Doesn't CD also store a perfect copy of the digital audio? For that reason alone, isn't that what's important to people? The sound changes depending on the mixing and mastering, so what benefit does vinyl have other than to distort?

 

The only thing appealing about vinyl is the sleeve and cover art!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Arpy said:

Doesn't CD also store a perfect copy of the digital audio? For that reason alone, isn't that what's important to people? The sound changes depending on the mixing and mastering, so what benefit does vinyl have other than to distort?

Vinyls usually don't have the same loud, compressed mastering as digital releases. Of course for soundtracks, CDs and digital releases will always sound better than a vinyl record.

But for some pop/rock records, you might find some mixing/mastering differences inherent to the vinyl that are kind of pleasing. But really, it all depends on the albums and how they were pressed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2020 at 10:21 PM, rpvee said:

image.jpeg

https://thesoundofvinyl.com/*/*/Star-Wars-A-New-Hope-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/6NTN0000000

 

Coming out early October. Nothing new musically, but I love that art. Gonna be in trouble if they release all nine matching that way!

 

The 1977 Italian release of the original soundtrack album sported the very same cover:

 

R-2676393-1296132074.jpeg.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bespin said:

Having played vynils since almost 40 years, I can confirm each playing eats a little bit of the sound.

 

I'm sorry for the hipsters that just discovered vynil!

 

If you are nostalgic a about the vintage sound, buy CDs and use a tube amp, you idiots.

A tube amp?

No....no.....NO!

😵

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...