Star Wars A New Hope 2-LP Walt Disney Records

The Dark Trilogy

Would expect some sort of official announcement first.

And so soon after TROS was in theaters?

But it does say "DISNEY Records" and "2 CDs".

So it could be...

Another re-release of the existing 2 CD sets.

2 minutes ago, Pieter Boelen said:

Would expect some sort of official announcement first.

These stupid sites put up placeholder pages like this all the time in advance. There's still 1.5 months until that unconfirmed release date when it could be announced.

11 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Well, we did first learn about the Fellowship of the Ring CR reissues through an Amazon link

Holy crap i was ecstatic that I didn't miss out on those for forever after all!

If this isn't actually complete/MM involved, and not just a one off for ANH (shouldn't be, unless 43rd anniversary is a thing lol) then you can count on Disney to milk these soundtracks until the cows come home.  Pun intended.

Reissue of the Sony 2CD edition?? 

Its  the End of Days I tell ya! 

P. S. If they managed to re tweak the JEDI equalization at the last minute then it would be something else. 

Dropping them one by one will be better for our wallets. And they're starting with the best one!

Don't be surprised if it's a straight re-issue from the recent re-re-release that Sony did....well their last one before they lost the license to them. It'll probably be the same for ESB and ROTJ too.

9 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I believe this is a new expansion. I believe Mike Matessino is involved in this. I'm sure about that.

While there is have no doubt that this is an eventuality, let's wait until there is OFFICIAL confirmation on if this Amazon page refers to a new and definitive release.

Don't forget that Mike Mattesino neither confirmed nor denied that the Maestro's scores to the Star Wars Saga will be getting the definitive treatment when he was asked by Maurizio Caschetto at the end of the interview about the releases to The Poseidon Adventure, The Towering Inferno, Earthquake, Monsignor, and Minority Report on The Legacy of John Williams website. So here's hoping! I'm optimistic.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

Why did they have an incompetent person rebuild the OSTs from scratch, though? Don't they even care about paying someone to do proper work?

Whatever! As long as Mike is doing the expansions, we'll be able to use them to rebuild ourselves the OST in the best quality :)

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Why did they have an incompetent person rebuild the OSTs from scratch, though? Don't they even care about paying someone to do proper work?

I'm sure as far as any exec at Disney Records is concerned, Shawn Murphy did do a "proper" job remastering those.  There are so few people working in the industry that truly know what the consumers of expanded film score presentations actually want.  Shawn Murphy and Disney Records execs are not in that group.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Dropping them one by one will be better for our wallets. And they're starting with the best one!

I don't want them starting with the only one that actually sounds good on the 1997 release...

Just now, Drew said:

I don't want them starting with the only one that actually sounds good on the 1997 release...

That attitude is what got us no AOTC UE ;)

50 minutes ago, Holko said:

They literally rebuilt the OSTs from scratch from new scans instead of straightup reissuing the Sony remasters that came out only 2 years before. I think we're very likely to be safe from at least it being a complete SE reissue. We now just have to hope they got MM to work on the real deal instead of Random Intern #74 and #92 fucking everything up just a little here and there.

Yeah I also think it's going to be different than the SE's and Sony, but probably the "de-masters" that Shawn Murphy did with random intern # 82 doing the assembly

That said, I have no issues with the sound of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back on the 1997 SE's

7 minutes ago, Drew said:

Parts of the demaster like the Dies Irae after the hologram (I think) sound a lot better on the demaster... on the other hand TIE Fighter attack sounds a lot less lively than on the SE, flat and punchless.

3 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Hmm then again JW might have insisted MM have a part in this

Yeah does JW have a say in any of his music for Star Wars or is it completely out of his control within the hands of Disney.  I can't imagine MM's name hasn't been brought up.

None of the specialty labels would release a JW expansion without seeking his approval (Quartet's Tom Sawyer release in 2015 was the last time that happened), and I would ASSUME a major label like Disney Records knows this as well but... maybe they don't?  I don't know. 

If this is a new Shawn Murphy rebuild of the 1997 program with no (intentional) changes than that probably wouldn't require JW approval either, like the OST remasters didn't.

Hopefully John Williams has some say in this and that he's happy with Mike's work. I don't see any reason to believe he isn't given how many projects were completed in the past few years. :)

Karol

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Why do I feel like it's not going to take long for this thread to end up with more posts than the ones recent expansions that are already out...

Because all these expansions are excellent and therefore there is not much to be said about them. :)

Karol

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why do I feel like it's not going to take long for this thread to end up with more posts than the ones recent expansions that are already out...

Because Star Wars?

All other non-Star Wars threads eventually die, some more quickly than others with an occasional spike in wizard children's movie discussion. Post a photo of C3PO and this place is crazier than the last lifeboat on Titanic.