Star Wars A New Hope 2-LP Walt Disney Records

The Dark Trilogy

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

I just got confirmation that these are, indeed, vinyl reissues of the 1977 OST album.

Thanks for checking.

No surprise that it isn't what we might've hoped.

But at least it's not a re-release of those 1997 expanded editions.

Which means it doesn't harm our chances of getting better ones at some point.

We're just right back where we started.

That's all.

People started buying more cassettes than vinyl by around 1985, more CDs than cassettes by around 1990, more digital purchases than CDs by around 2010, and streamed more than downloaded by around 2015.

Vinyl made its comeback in the late 2010s, so CD is due to make its comeback...  in the early 2020s?

Vinyl again?? Jesus! Didn't we have a vinyl for the 40th anniversary, with the Sony's so called "remaster" from the original album tapes? (yes, I simply hate to called it a remaster, but technically, and ONLY technically, that's what the 2016/2017 release is).

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I just got confirmation that these are, indeed, vinyl reissues of the 1977 OST album.

Yeah, I did not think this was referring to a remastered and definitive release, but that DOES NOT mean that it will not happen in the near future.

What we've learned lately is that you can rerelease OT Star Wars music as many times as you want, in as many consecutive years, with whatever selection of music, and in whatever format, and the market will (apparently) never be saturated. You can always do it all again next year. So let's never get discouraged thinking one OT score release will prevent another one from happening soon!

It will be even more hilarious if these vinyl issues turnout to be the ones sourced from the new Shawn Murphy remixes that we saw on cd and not the Sony Classical vinyl editions master which Shawn also did. 

I thought the Sony reissues of the OSTs were pretty good. 

As far as Disney's handling of the OSTs, despite some clunky edits, I really enjoy the prequels. They sound nice and punchy and II and III really come alive compared to the original muddy albums.

19 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I thought the Sony reissues of the OSTs were pretty good. 

And the original artwork is far superior to this day. The box set Vinyl edtion is gorgeously done. A keeper even if you dont have a turntable!

I guess it's better than releasing a new MM scratch rebuild, remix and remaster exclusively on vinyl.

Fuck, I'd better delete this, I don't want to give these braindead morons ideas!

22 hours ago, Jay said:

Vinyl made its comeback in the late 2010s, so CD is due to make its comeback...  in the early 2020s?

Vinyl made its comeback in the late 2000s.

I can't see any reason why CDs would make a comeback, though.

But aren't the cracks and pops part of the vinyl charm? It was for me anyway. You'd have to damge CDs to get that kind of 'enjoyment.' (I actually did that when I was really small.)

16 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

But aren't the cracks and pops part of the vinyl charm? It was for me anyway. You'd have to damge CDs to get that kind of 'enjoyment.' (I actually did that when I was really small.)

With CDs, they'll end up skipping and may not even play if damaged. You're more likely to end up with the broken record effect where the album stops and/or a bit repeats over and over.

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Yeah, I liked that. Then I wanted to copy them to my computer years later and found out most of the damage was irreversible. Dark times.

Actually, it's often possible to remedy, by using a mechanical CD polisher.

I don't know why the 2018 releases are called "dismasters". They only botched ESB, but not all tracks. SW and RoTJ both sounds great to me, specially RoTJ.

My biggest quarell about the 2018 remaster of SW is that they didn't include the actual album take of the "Detention Block Ambush" section of "The Last Battle" track. I'd love to listen to an improved remaster of it.

Demasters because 5 of them have small to major problems, only RotJ is pretty much perfect. Including but not limited to: the brass not popping enough (TIE Attack is much better on the SE than the demaster, it actually has life and joy), too long take crossfades causing phasing, mix too bright, mix not even bothered with (Augie), etc.

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

Demasters because 5 of them have small to major problems, only RotJ is pretty much perfect. Including but not limited to: the brass not popping enough (TIE Attack is much better on the SE than the demaster, it actually has life and joy), too long take crossfades causing phasing, mix too bright, mix not even bothered with (Augie), etc.

I must admit, even though SW is the most consistent of all of the SE regarding sound quality, I don't like the SE sound very much. I prefer the Anthology and the dismaster.

About the prequels, I don't listen to them that much, but I much prefer "Duel of the Fates" from the dismaster to the 99 OST.

50 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I guess Shawn Murphy's bound to make a few rights among all the wrongs.

Yes. Specially with the ones he recorded himself.

But it's still baffling to me what happened to ESB. Take for instance "The Asteroid Field". Murphy's remix for the 2005 "Musical Journey" DVD was great. Then it got completely f*cked up in the dismaster. Literally that track alone is the dismaster of all the dismasters. Why couldn't he just stick with what he did in 2005??

Maybe he only worked on premastering on these sets like the booklets state and we should stop bringing him up and propagating the myth that he did it all or was very important, AHEM, shark

19 minutes ago, Holko said:

Maybe he only worked on premastering on these sets like the booklets state and we should stop bringing him up and propagating the myth that he did it all or was very important, AHEM, shark

Let's not call him Shawn Murphy anymore. Let's cal him "Maclunky".

a70d3c908bf17b89386dd86873c59dd5e7ee7282r1-480-270_hq.gif

30 minutes ago, Holko said:

This is where he belongs - in the SE version of the Sarlacc pit!

Sarlacc-BTM-DB.png

8 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Pieter, I'm sure I don't know what you mean :D

Just meant that the thread title you suggested actually exists:

"Lego Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Out (2012)"

;)