Archival JW Episode One Interview

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is awesome!  I love it and am reading it with JW's distinctive speaking style.  You know what's crazy?  I remember reading all this 21 years ago with unbelievable anticipation and it turns out that was way less time than JW had last worked on a Star Wars film since ROTJ was 1983 and TPM was recorded in February 1999.  More time separates us from this article than separated TPM from ROTJ.

John being modest about Star Wars as "light music."  He does slyly let his estimation of the music rise of the level of opera, though.

This is awesome!  Great find.  His listing of new themes is odd, though.  A theme for Anakin's mother?  And the Queen?  Did we watch the same movie?

The writing for Shmi doesn't come across as thematic until it gete reprised in Attack of the Clones. Its neat that Williams had it in his mind as part of the thematic construction of the score back in the day, as opposed to retconning it (a-la the funeral music).

The princess doesn't have any discernable thematic ideas that I can recall. Either Williams is misremembering, or such an idea got cut out of the score.

My favorite Star Wars score. It literally carries the movie. I just wish the score had been given more presence in the sound mix of the film, and not chopped up so badly.