Which James Newton Howard soundtracks do you own?

Jurassic Shark

Are you really sure you want a whole buch of posts with anonymous lists, Jurassic?

But OK, I'll do as publicist and make a screenshot:

jnh2.jpg

I own a bunch but to be honest, Waterworld and Signs are the only ones I listen to with any regularity.

You have a lot of fantastic discoveries to make, then, even though you already own his best (WATERWORLD)! JNH is one of the best out there; he's been a favourite of mine ever since I started exploring film music, really (mid 90s). It was a thrill to interview him a few years ago.

That I only own a few albums doesn't mean I haven't sampled most of his output over the years. :) I'm not counting my old JNH mp3 copies, which I never listen to now.

I guess he's just not my cup of tea most of the time.

-The complete score of The Sixth Sense

-La-La Land's OOP 2CD set of The Fugitive, which should be reissued, btw, preferably w/ sequencing mistakes and crossfades removed

I do like his music but realised I have only one James Newton Howard CD - The Village.  Funny story, I was able to get the CD booklet autographed by both Hilary Hahn and James Newton Howard in person on separate occasions several months apart.  As a result it must now be worth somewhere in the region of US $965.342 billion.

6 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I have around 25 or so, and am adding to them frequently. I wish Cameron would have asked him to score the Avatar sequels.

So do we all. Missed opportunity of a lifetime -- both for JNH and us.

Plus, I'm not sure I have much more patience to hear him phone in more generic action material for these bigger pictures.

On one hand, I generally like when he goes old fashioned and orchestral for fantasy films. 

However, on the first Avatar Horner's action material was still very modern, probably by Cameron's request. I fear that he'd asked JNH to do the same for the more traditionally orchestral parts of the score and go more Snow White and the Huntsman and The Hunger Games, and less Fantastic Beasts and Maleficent.

These tracks, for example, could've been a Horner score for any Bourne inspired spy thriller of the late 2000s:

Sky just unlocked its movie features on my account and i saw that overstuffed toy store that is 'Nutcracker and the Four Realms'. THIS is the kind of JNH we need more of.

18 hours ago, Bellosh said:

How much music is missing on the OST?

Maybe 10 mins or so missing, plus a few alternates.

If you're not into the movie, the OST is all you need. I like the movie and love the entire score and I'd buy an expansion in a heartbeat, but it's not essential.

18 hours ago, KK said:

Plus, I'm not sure I have much more patience to hear him phone in more generic action material for these bigger pictures.

Examples?

If I think of "generic action music", James Newton Howard is definitely not the first name that springs to mind...

25 minutes ago, Pieter Boelen said:

If I think of "generic action music", James Newton Howard is definitely not the first name that springs to mind...

I'm a JNH fan, and unfortunately I have to admit that he has written plenty of generic action music over the years, for stuff like The Bourne Legacy, The Tourist, etc.

Even his action music on more fantasy/sci-fi oriented movies like Snow White and the Huntsman and The Hunger Games are more modern and agressive, and without the elegancy and sophistication of other scores.

This track, for example, is a great missed opportunity. There's some amazing choir writing, but it is hidden beneath the Inception's horns of doom (although some of the French Horns also have resemblance with JNH's Blood Diamond) and TDK's string ostinato. I can't help but wonder how better this track would've been if he had abandoned the Zimmerisms and focused on the choir starting on 2:32 to go full Howard Shore.

15 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The Bourne Legacy, The Tourist, etc.

Even his action music on more fantasy/sci-fi oriented movies like Snow White and the Huntsman and The Hunger Games

I avoided those so far altogether...

Seems JNH is one of those 'two in one' composers.

Can do REALLY well. Or really not.

I wonder how much of that is on him and how much on the directors/producers...

I'm generally a JNH fan, so I'm bound to say that his RCP-isms are probably down to director/producer requests.

40 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I'm a JNH fan, and unfortunately I have to admit that he has written plenty of generic action music over the years, for stuff like The Bourne Legacy, The Tourist, etc.

The Tourist has a few good parts. The Bourne Legacy is a terrible excuse for a score, but the film is also terrible.

Some of these are only partial albums, in a few cases where I'm not fussed about the entire album.

A Hidden Life

A Perfect Murder

Alive

Atlantis

Batman Begins

Dante's Peak

Dinosaur

Falling Down

Fantastic Beasts 1

Freedomland

From the Earth to the Moon (whatever episode he did)

Hidalgo

I Am Legend

King Kong

Lady In The Water

Magnificent Desolation

Maleficent

Mumford

My Best Friend's Wedding

Nightcrawler

Peter Pan

Signs

Snow White and the Huntsman

The Devil's Advocate

The Happening

The Hunger Games (1 and 2)

The Interpreter

The Last Airbender

The Lookout

The Postman

The Sixth Sense

The Village

The Water Horse

Treasure Planet

Unbreakable

Water For Elephants

Waterworld

Wyatt Earp

Plus some random miscellaneous tracks, but Windows 10 doesn't search properly in mp3 metadata, so I can't make a list of those.