TV Series to Watch?

Pieter Boelen

So with the whole world closing down, looks like there will be plenty of couch-time ahead.

But I'm not sure what to do with it.

I feel like I've kind-of run out of fun TV series to watch.

Most stuff on Netflix tends to sound dark and dreary.

And I'm kind-of allergic to that...

Stuff I like in general is upbeat adventure/fantasy with a dash of comedy in there.

Stargate, Doctor Who and The Orville do pretty well.

Lately I got caught up on Lucifer and am almost finished with Good Omens.

So, do any of you have any recommendations to share?

Any stuff to help keep our spirits up this coming time?

I have recommendations for some good shows that are not dark and dreary.

Half-hour comedies:

• Schitt's Creek (5 seasons available on many streaming services, the 6th/final season is currently airing and will probably be added to streaming services once its done).  Great show that starts with the main character being self-centered dicks for the most part, but they grow and change over the seasons and it becomes a truly wonderful, uplifting show.
  • The Good Place (All 4 seasons have finished airing and no more are being made, only seasons 1-3 are streaming but 4 should be added soon).  Another pretty warm, mostly uplifting show, especially in the latter seasons.
  • Parks and Recreation (all seasons streaming; Season 1 is not great and season 2 is only OK, but seasons 3-7 are fantastic.  Stick with it if you start with season 1!  Or just start with season 3 and go back to 1&2 once you're hooked.)
  • Brooklyn Nine-Nine (funny cop show that starts out being the Andy Samberg show but soon becomes a great ensemble that touches on some nice issues)
  • Angie Tribeca (Naked Gun/Police Squad! style comedy show, very silly.  4 seasons then it was canceled).
  • The Last Man On Earth (starts out being the Will Forte is an awful person show, but eventually he becomes a better person and the cast grows to a nice ensemble).  4 seasons then it was canceled.
  • Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (3 seasons aired on Netflix and it got a proper finale, though they later filmed a followup movie that hasn't come out yet)

Hour-long dramas

• The Orville (Basically a modern update of Star Trek: The Next Generation, with more comedy.  If the first 3-4 episodes turn you off, do stick with it, as those are the only ones with serious potty humor and they go in a different direction after that).  Might be exclusive to Hulu, not sure.
  • Sherlock (BBC show with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman as modern-day Sherlock and Watson.  3 great seasons, a one-off special, then a mostly bad 4th season)
  • Downton Abbey (six seasons and a movie.  Not the greatest show but fits the criteria of what you're looking for and IS well acted and mostly well-written)
  • Stranger Things (Depends on how strict you are with "dark and dreary" as there is some violence and people die, but generally its a fun 80s nostalgia trip)
  • A Series of Unfortunate Events (I've only seen season 1 but it's generally pretty light despite the dark themes)
  • The Mandalorian (most episodes are actually closer to 30 minutes than an hour, but this is a fun Star Wars show that has about as simple plots as it gets)

That's about all I can think of, most other really good TV of the past decade (Chernobyl, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Hannibal, Mr. Robot, Westworld, Mindhunters, True Detective, Ozark, Barry) are "dark and dreary" for the most part

Thanks very much!

I'll see if I can look some of those up

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Good Place (All 4 seasons have finished airing and no more are being made, only seasons 1-3 are streaming but 4 should be added soon).  Another pretty warm, mostly uplifting show, especially in the latter seasons.

Definitely one of the best comedy shows I've ever seen.

For anyone else reading: strongly recommended indeed!

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Orville (Basically a modern update of Star Trek: The Next Generation, with more comedy.  If the first 3-4 episodes turn you off, do stick with it, as those are the only ones with serious potty humor and they go in a different direction after that).  Might be exclusive to Hulu, not sure.

Watched them all as they came out.

Love it!

Science-Fiction, Comedy and good, fun, likeable characters.

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

Stranger Things (Depends on how strict you are with "dark and dreary" as there is some violence and people die, but generally its a fun 80s nostalgia trip)

I watched the first season and it did absolutely nothing for me.

Completely confused here on why people like it so much.

I wonder if I'd feel different if it had taken the Spielberg influence one step further and gone for a Williams sound too.

Like in the "Edge of the World" Netflix movie with music by Bear McCreary.

I liked that one quite a bit.

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Mandalorian (most episodes are actually closer to 30 minutes than an hour, but this is a fun Star Wars show that has about as simple plots as it gets)

Agreed!

I like it much better than Rise of Skywalker.

Looking forward to Season 2. :D

Alias is a fun choice, nice call. 

Maybe Fringe as well?

And of course Agent Carter, but I remember Pieter's already seen that one.

I really wish some streaming service from here where I live bought the rights to The Orville. I don't think neither of those we have available here have translated the show.

I want to watch it, but I don't have time and patience to torrent all the episodes.

I don't know if Buffy or Angel are on any streaming services but I think those are funny, smart shows to watch.

For sitcoms you can't go wrong with Cheers or Frasier, they should be on Netflix.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

You don't have Hulu in Brazil?

No, unfortunately. Unless I'm missing one, just Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Go, Apple TV and a local one called Globoplay, which is from our biggest media conglomerate (Rede Globo) and contains local and foreign shows.

Disney + is supposed to get here this year.

I'm not a big streaming guy (I do have Netflix but I rarely use it) and I don't really watch that many shows, but I must say that Lost in Space (Netflix) and The Outsider (HBO) have piqued my interest and I think I'm going to give them a go eventually. Has anyone seen either show to be able to comment as to what I can expect in brief, non-spoiler terms? I've heard good things about both and I'd like to know what JW Fanners think.

Add My Brilliant Friend to the 1 hour drama category. Season 2 of 4 (?) is airing now, I'm waiting for it to finish so I can binge it one per day.

The End of the F***ing World is probably as good as any streaming series you can find, and an absolute must see. At only two compact seasons it's easy to binge on two evening (or even one).

I have these two threads over on FSM about this.

Science fiction/paranormal shows (with a small section of non-paranormal shows at the end):

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=77587&forumID=7&archive=0

Sit-coms:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=116750&forumID=7&archive=0

6 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I must say that Lost in Space (Netflix)

I second the recommendation of the 2018 Lost in Space. It's streaming, but it's not dark and depressing as many TV shows from that era. It's a fun, uplifting, wholesome family adventure with great VFX, a cool orchestral score composed by Christopher Lennertz and an entertaining antagonist in Parker Posey's female Dr Smith.

It's actually amazing how they updated the old 60s show for the 2010s, but without making it feel too dark. Anyway, fun for all ages!

9 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The End of the F***ing World is probably as good as any streaming series you can find, and an absolute must see. At only two compact seasons it's easy to binge on two evening (or even one).

I really love this show, but it’s pretty dark. 

17 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Lost in Space (Netflix)

See here.

The Outsider (HBO)

See here.

10 minutes ago, Pieter Boelen said:

Anyone ever heard of this one?

See here.

On 3/24/2020 at 5:17 PM, Jay said:

A Series of Unfortunate Events (I've only seen season 1 but it's generally pretty light despite the dark themes)

Started on this one.

So far, so good.

Looks to be quite a bit of sarcastic humourin in there.

15 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I really love this show, but it’s pretty dark. 

It's one of those brilliantly balanced things that are both dark and funny and pleasing to watch at the same time.

I only saw the first series and it was very rewarding.

On 3/24/2020 at 5:30 PM, Edmilson said:

I really wish some streaming service from here where I live bought the rights to The Orville. I don't think neither of those we have available here have translated the show.

I want to watch it, but I don't have time and patience to torrent all the episodes.

One word: Stremio

I even managed to sideload it onto my Android TV. I now have VPN enabled HD streaming with a push of a button on my remote.