The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

16 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Christ are there seriously paragraphs being written over this petty dispute? Some things never change. 

It's because Thor gives off the impression of being a logical person, so one feels the urge to keep trying and trying (to little avail).

So Thor...when was the last Varese Club batch that was all expansions again? ;) 

Yavar

24 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

So Thor...when was the last Varese Club batch that was all expansions again? ;) 

Probably the one before this, I have no idea. But either way, great to see a little Conti gem put out there. You see, it DOES make sense to wish for premieres from Varese!

As for US MARSHALS, I've seen the film once, many years ago. Fairly pedestrian compared to the wonderful THE FUGITIVE, and the score rather perfunctory - which is why I never picked it up in the first place, and certainly have no intention to now. But I'm well aware an expansion has been a deep wish for fans for years. Congrats to them, I suppose!

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Probably the one before this, I have no idea

Trick question. I don't think there has ever been a Varese Club release yet that had no reissues or premieres. Last time it was a reissue with an expansion. Time before that it was a reissue and a premiere with an expansion. And this time it's a premiere with an expansion.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

You see, it DOES make sense to wish for premieres from Varese!

Sure, but it does NOT make much sense to say, "Please, no expanded/C&C/"Deluxe" (sic.) releases!" ;) 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

As for US MARSHALS, I've seen the film once, many years ago. Fairly pedestrian compared to the wonderful THE FUGITIVE, and the score rather perfunctory - which is why I never picked it up in the first place, and certainly have no intention to now. But I'm well aware an expansion has been a deep wish for fans for years. Congrats to them, I suppose!

I just learned on the FSM board that (similar to First Knight and the Lancelot theme), the original U.S. Marshals album left off entire themes Goldsmith had written, so it seems this had a stronger argument for expansion than even I was aware of...

Yavar

14 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I just learned on the FSM board that (similar to First Knight and the Lancelot theme), the original U.S. Marshals album left off entire themes Goldsmith had written, so it seems this had a stronger argument for expansion than even I was aware of...

That score has themes now? Color me intrigued!

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I guess you won't cover the score in your show before this release is long out of print... ;)

You're probably right! And there are plenty of other scores before and after it which are already out of print. :) 

Yavar

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Sure, but it does NOT make much sense to say, "Please, no expanded/C&C/"Deluxe" (sic.) releases!"  

It makes perfect sense. And I'm no doubt going to say it again.

There's a difference between expressing a preference to see more premieres, and actively not wanting expanded releases to happen.

The first of those is a preference that is as reasonable as anything. The second is just selfish.

14 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

There's a difference between expressing a preference to see more premieres, and actively not wanting expanded releases to happen.

The first of those is a preference that is as reasonable as anything. The second is just selfish.

I'm pretty sure such nuance escapes him.

42 minutes ago, Thor said:

It makes perfect sense. And I'm no doubt going to say it again.

4da.png

36 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Tha'ts completely insane. Wanting to see more premieres automatically means not wanting expanded releases to happen.

And....I hate to break it to you, but WISHES are 100% selfish.

I probably will. Time will show. I usually don't care about announcements such as these, but anyone is free to wish for whatever they wish.

Varese, thank you for releasing Conti's THE BIG FIX! I hope there will be more premieres in the time to come, and less expanded releases!

35 minutes ago, Thor said:

Tha'ts completely insane. Wanting to see more premieres automatically means not wanting expanded releases to happen.

What?

How is it 'insane' to be able to express a preference but also be open to both types of releases happening?

Are you really that truly selfish that you actively don't want expanded releases to happen?

Don't bother answering that. I've had enough and we all know the answer.

17 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Are you really that truly selfish that you actively don't want expanded releases to happen?

Yes. That’s what preferences are about,

2 minutes ago, Ricard said:

Then you'll keep polluting this forum with endlessly redundant arguments that will help *nobody*.

No arguments in this case. Just wishes. Surely, a person is allowed to have a wish.

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

Seriously, what is your issue? Please, be specific. Is the call for 'premiere' and 'no expansion' problematic somehow?

Call for others enjoyment to cease yes

22 minutes ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

Call for others enjoyment to cease yes

How is my wish ‘call for others enjoyment to cease’? Do I somehow have a magic power over film music labels?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Seriously, what is your issue? Please, be specific. Is the call for 'premiere' and 'no expansion' problematic somehow?

I am only using your words, you called it a call first, not me.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Not Aladdin’s third wish! ;) Doesn’t anybody wish for world peace or an end to hunger, etc? Don’t see why wishes have to be selfish.

How is it that somehow I myself can both “want to see more premieres” and “want expanded releases to happen”? Doesn’t seem so insane to me.

Yavar

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Since the speciality labels have quite a limited capacity, more expansions does indeed mean fewer premieres.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Varese, thank you for releasing Conti's THE BIG FIX! 

Hoping you'll write a review soon!

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Do I somehow have a magic power over film music labels?

C'mon, we all know that you're secretly running all the major specialty labels!

I'm actually with Thor on this. The labels should put an indefinite freeze on expanded releases, and cease production on them permanently. The music that was initially left off the original albums was never meant for public consumption, therefore the studios should lock them in moratorium forever, never to be heard outside the films themselves.

I can certainly recommend The Big Fix. An isolated score feature has been prepared for the Twilight Time bluray release, so this one was about to happen sooner or later. If you don't know the score, you can find a montage of certain cues on my channel:

• 1 month later...

OK this is really interesting.  Peter Hackman is one of the nicest people I have ever met in my life, and previously I had never heard him say anything negative about basically anything in the world.  But lately he's been making some posts on FSM dissing on Robert Townson (without directly using his name, though).

While working at Varése, the amount of releases Cary and Bryon and sometimes I wanted to get out was enormous and my gosh we tried are darnedest, but we got resistance from time to time from someone. I can't even begin to remember how many years Dolores has been being worked on 5 or more yrs I think.

On another note...

When you allow the other producers at the label to release the actual recording for a legendary film by one of the greats, but then take it back once the composer passes away because you want all the praise & admiration from the film music community and your friends after you release it, then it is not about the music nor the composer, it's about yourself. That is when it's time to take a step back and look within to find out, how I can get that passion back, that drive to make it ALL about the music.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=140019&forumID=1&archive=0

In case you can't read between the lines, he is talking about Townson wanting to produce all Goldsmith expansions himself, slowly down how frequently they came out after his death.

Bryon Davis followed up with

Yep...but concerts were always more important rather than prolifically releasing albums. I love concerts as do all of us but we get paid to put albums together. Getting music to the world is important and no one producer/person is more important than the music

It seems Townson kiboshed an expanded Brainstorm by Horner:

Ahh Brainstorm, now there's an interesting Varèse memory I have with Cary and Bryon. SO close to get to work on it, SO freaking close, then snatched back then never worked on...

And an expanded Dante's Peak by Frizzel, @Richard Penna

Bryon Davis is the first person quoted below

Yep. Remember Dante's Peak as well? So much work and then somebody had to put the kibosh on it because well...ego.

Funny that all we wanted to do was get the stuff people have been wanting out sooner rather than later. Sorry fans of film music, we tried

At least there is this followup from Bryon Davis:

Is that a way of saying that Dante's Peak won't come out?

That's easily my most wanted Varese expansion, as the OST is a lamentable representation of the score.

No. We want it out.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=140084&forumID=1&archive=0

I met him backstage after the Prisoner of Azkaban concert in London two years back.  He took all the credit for making Dracula happen, not mentioning Mike at all.

There was two hot young ladies there he was trying to impress, he told us all that he was the one who found the missing tapes to make the release happen