Which Williams did this rousing war march better?

karelm

Neither, really. We've discussed this before, but they're both too slow to be 'proper' marches to me (and yes, I'm aware marches can be slow). And hence none are particularly 'rousing'. But good pieces in and of themselves.

5 hours ago, karelm said:

So which Williams wrote the better rousing war music?

John Williams: Men of the Yorkshire March

Ralph Vaughan Williams: 49th Parallel Prelude

Do I really have to choose? Love them both. 

As far as the score to Midway goes, I actually prefer the Men of Yorktown March to the Midway March.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Indeed. 1941, now that's a proper, rousing march.

Grrr, maybe the correct word isn't rousing but stirring.  But then the definition of stirring is:

causing great excitement or strong emotion; rousing.

29 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Do I really have to choose? Love them both. 

As far as the score to Midway goes, I actually prefer the Men of Yorktown March to the Midway March.

Totally agree with you.  Med of Yorktown March is gorgeous and moving music.  You can also sense a bit of proto Throne Room in it too.

8 hours ago, karelm said:

Grrr, maybe the correct word isn't rousing but stirring.  But then the definition of stirring is:

causing great excitement or strong emotion; rousing.

True. That's the discussion we had a few months ago. I guess you can use both words, but rousing -- to me -- has always insinuated some form of uptempo. As does the word 'march' itself, i.e. a piece you can physically march to. Terribly difficult to have a band march firmly to the "Men of Yorktown" tune. As publicist said, it's more like a hymn.

Interestingly and vice versa, Williams' "Hymn to New England" is more like a march. :blink:

5 hours ago, Thor said:

True. That's the discussion we had a few months ago. I guess you can use both words, but rousing -- to me -- has always insinuated some form of uptempo. As does the word 'march' itself, i.e. a piece you can physically march to. Terribly difficult to have a band march firmly to the "Men of Yorktown" tune. As publicist said, it's more like a hymn.

Interestingly and vice versa, Williams' "Hymn to New England" is more like a march. :blink:

How would you characterize a funeral march?  For example:

I think the general definition of a march is not about tempo but rhythm.  But I know you are speaking in generalities.  A waltz has a repetitive 1-2-3,2-2-3,1-2-3, 2-2-3 rhythm but is not a march.  Marches are generally in 2 or 4 as if you are keeping a group of people keeping the same walking pattern, a march.  But that pattern could be slow and solemn (funeral march) or fast and vigorous (military attack) or noble and moderate (a processional like Wagner's wedding "march" is a type of slow march).  You can imagine the bride walking very slowly in an elegant and dignified way rather than a brisk pace.

Though it isn't necessary to be fast such as the previously mentioned funeral marches or Strauss's Radetzsky March.