Imagine you’re hosting a weekly film music get-together. Who’s attending?

Bayesian

After reading a very enlightening reply to a topic I posted earlier today, it occurred to me that many members on this forum would make a wonderful group that, in another world, would all live close enough to gather every weekend for intelligent conversation and discussion — à la Gertrude Stein and her famous Paris salons a century ago. 

So, imagine you wanted to host a regular get-together where the object was to talk and share earnestly and intelligently — with good wine/beer/pick your poison and in comfy chairs— about all things film music. JW mostly, to be sure, but it’d all be fair game. Who would you hope would attend? (Assume there’s no coronavirus or social distancing.)

My own very incomplete list would include, in no particular order:

@Ludwig and @Falstaft as music scholars, @Disco Stu (obviously), @Miguel Andrade and @Romão for their crazy deep expertise about JW, @Jay for his knowledge about the film music industry and his ties to/knowledge about people on the inside, @Thor for his film music expertise...  I know I’m missing a bunch of people and I’ll come back to update this when those names pop into my head. Others who definitely would be welcome at my salon include @crumbs and @Chewy, who never made a post I didn’t enjoy reading. And @Bryant Burnettewhose survey through Stephen King on his blog or website or whatever was a real fun read some months back. I feel you can tell a lot about what someone will be like IRL by what and how they write on the internet, where you never know who’s reading. 

Who am I missing?? I know it’s more than few. Who would you bring along?

I'd love to meet you too, Bayesian, as well as many others. In the couple of times I've met JWFANners in real life (London, Boston etc.), it's my experience that I get along more easily with everyone in such settings than in this forum. It's funny; over on FSM, in the "Cheers!" thread, we were talking about arranging a Skype meeting (or some similar service) in these social distancing times. Curiously, this was never a topic before the outbreak, but now it suddenly is. In other words, ironically bringing people closer together than usual. I see no reason why this can't be implemented for JWFAN as well.

2 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Anyone except grandpa.

You made me laugh. You’re in!

Also @Chen G., how could I forget?! His posts are the very definition of earnest and intellectual. 

I'd gather everyone to listen to the LLL Titanic, then watch the film, so we could map and study all the edits, from the biggest to the tiniest, all the single minor differences between what James Horner recorded and what actually is on the movie.

On the next weekend, we could do the same for Prisoner of Azkaban.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I'd gather everyone to listen to the LLL Titanic, then watch the film, so we could map and study all the edits, from the biggest to the tiniest, all the single minor differences between what James Horner recorded and what actually is on the movie.

On the next weekend, we could do the same for Prisoner of Azkaban.

Lame.