Who are the composers you listen more frequently?

Edmilson

Sorry if someone have already done this thread in the past.

I keep track of every film music album I listen since 2015. So, these days I decided to run my tables on Python to see who are the composers that I listened the most over these almost 6 years.

And, according to the result, Williams was my champ: he was responsible of 7.51% of all the almost 1,100 score albums that I listened to all over these years. Here's my table of composers:

Composer Number of scores %
John Williams 81 7.51%
James Horner 71 6.59%
James Newton Howard 57 5.29%
Jerry Goldsmith 54 5.01%
Thomas Newman 47 4.36%
Michael Giacchino 32 2.97%
John Barry 32 2.97%
Alan Silvestri 30 2.78%
Danny Elfman 28 2.60%
Ennio Morricone 27 2.50%
Alexandre Desplat 27 2.50%
John Powell 27 2.50%
Hans Zimmer 24 2.23%
Georges Delerue 20 1.86%
Christopher Young 19 1.76%

A little more than a half of all scores I listened since January 1st 2015 were done by these 15 guys.

What about you guys? Who are the composers you listen more frequently?

None in particular. I have about 2000 albums in my iTunes, and I tend to listen to whatever I haven't played in a while, or am in the mood for, or whatever is new. I haven't played any John Williams in ages, probably since the Mutter album. But then I also have periods where I listen to lots of Williams, even playing everything I have of him by year.

In short, I can't give you a straight answer on this.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

None in particular. I have about 2000 albums in my iTunes, and I tend to listen to whatever I haven't played in a while, or am in the mood for, or whatever is new. I haven't played any John Williams in ages, probably since the Mutter album. But then I also have periods where I listen to lots of Williams, even playing everything I have of him by year.

In short, I can't give you a straight answer on this.

Doesn't your iTunes have a statistics feature?

I wish I still had all my old iTunes play count data. Back in high school/college I was listening to music pretty much exclusively through my iPod so it was fairly accurate to that time. Now with easy WiFi access I don’t have to just rely on that, plus I never did get another portable player when my last iPod crashed, just been constantly swapping things in and out of my phone. So hard to say anymore. 

But based on old playlists and general hunches, I would say John Williams and Thomas Newman are easily the top two. Then I think James Horner and Alan Silvestri but mostly just up to like 2004. And then it gets hard to say but I think it’d be Ennio Morricone although mostly through compilations, and Howard Shore for Middle Earth.

Those would be the majority of my “comfort” picks. Pretty much everyone else it’s usually when I’m in a particularly film score-y mood or just randomly binging careers.

In terms of sheer quantity of stuff I’ve listened to over the years, others may be higher like Goldsmith, Zimmer, Elfman, Desplat. I don’t know what those numbers would be but I think they’re less go-to for repeat listening.

John Williams, James Horner, John Barry, Danny Elfman.

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

My LastFM stats for the last 5 years:

played.png

Lana Del Rey?

On 3/31/2020 at 4:04 PM, Jay said:

Williams, Horner, Goldsmith, Elfman, Giacchino

I probably have Giacchino ahead of Elfman, but thats pretty much my rotation.  

John Barry, John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Stu Phillips, Lalo Schifrin and Horner. 

I don't have itunes so would base my listens/content on my media player library. Williams tops the bill with 1059 tracks

Untitled.png