How has your life changed because of the COVID19 pandemic?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Certainly some JWFanners are affected differently than others, lets share our stories with each other!   In my case on the work front, I am simply working from home every day instead of only

One of the things I was working on a few months ago: a stop motion project for my Honour's Year.

5 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

@JTWfan77 Where do you live?

South Africa

16 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Hey there, proud member of the quarantine insomnia club over here!  If I take a sleep aid, I’m usually good for about 4 hours, until 3, and then there’s no getting back to sleep for me.

My prescription sleeping pills do ZERO. Nada. Nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not doing well. It's long sunken in that Disneyland is closed for a long time and I've been on the dole for nearly two months now when I would have been celebrating a year the company. I don't want all the stimulus money from the government, I just want my old life back.

• 2 weeks later...

My partner and I had to move at the very start of lockdown. Our house purchase completely immediately before it happened and the new house was vacant so we were able to continue. It kept us busy for a little while but COVID-19 added a whole bunch of stress to it all.

With the move only being from a flat to a house 10 minutes walk away, I've not seen anything or anyone beyond walking distance for 2 months now and I'm beginning to really struggle in terms of mental wellbeing.

Workwise, I'm a course administrator at a Conservatoire (incidentally at least one of our academics recorded for LOTR and recent Star Wars scores among others) and this hit just as we had finalised the schedule for summer performance exams. We've had to very quickly change plans to switch to video submissions which has been...stressful to say the least! Working from home as its plus points though and I'm lucky to be in a position where my day-to-day work can actually be done without too much difficulty.

Not much changed for me, my wife and were essential so we both have been working normal hours.

I have been getting great gas mileage since March, traffic has been flowing rather well, although it's starting to get a bit heavier for the drive home. But somewhat similar to what Jay said in his original post, I can go for a long time without socializing. In fact watching how people have reacted and dealt with this has made me even more appreciative that I don't have to socialize a lot to enjoy life.

I haven't been spending a lot of money on stuff either, which is good. 

The only drawbacks are having to keep my mom sheltered and my wife and I haven't been able to go to any of our favorite places to eat.

On 4/20/2020 at 6:55 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

If you have problems falling asleep, I recommend trying to watch a superhero movie.

You know most superhero films are far better than the shit film you use as your avatar. If you want to fall asleep listen to Giacchino or Zimmer.

As far as Covid-2019 goes I just travel to two worksites. I go in an hour early and I stay as late as needed. I wear a mask amongst the public but not necessarily in public. No need fo wear one in the car.

All the shorgages are mostly over. 

I miss going to the movie theatre. I will likely go there before going out to eat.

Turn the volume down to "zero"; that should work ;)

Life, up here, has not changed, that much, for me. I work from home, and go in to work once per week, I go to the store to buy my food, I pay my bills online, or by telephone, I see my friends, the local Chinese has re-opened, and I never eat out, anyway (not at £15 a pop!).

Of course, where I live is dependant on tourism. Like Amity, we need summer dollars, and we are accepting that this summer is a write-off. How this will affect the islands remains to be seen.

• 1 month later...

We've seen more movies and I've played more video games than usual. Still seems like I don't have as much free time as I should no matter what I do.  Like even with all vacation and travel plans canceled, you'd think I'd be getting more stuff done around the house, but other than a great stretch of yardwork in March/April, I feel like not much gets done any more.  I dunno why.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

We've seen more movies and I've played more video games than usual. Still seems like I don't have as much free time as I should no matter what I do.  Like even with all vacation and travel plans canceled, you'd think I'd be getting more stuff done around the house, but other than a great stretch of yardwork in March/April, I feel like not much gets done any more.  I dunno why.

Are you hooked on news? I know friends and family who are disabled by news. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

You have always the exact same amount of time left, not matter how busy you are - at least, that is the case for me.

• 4 months later...

Covid-2019 has caused me to alter my lifestyle.  I drive less than 1000 miles per month. I have been to 4 films in 2020. I have eaten out a total of 5 times since March. We do take-out a lot but actually in a restaurant 5 times. We will risk Red Lobster on Dave's birthday in two weeks. My online purchases have doubled. One thing I haven't done is online grocery shopping. I won't lower my standards for the shit. I've seen the mouth breathers that pull products, talk about chromosome damage.

4 minutes ago, BLUMENKOHL said:

I like to grow my own produce.

We grew a decent amount of our fruit and veg. 

But we do our groceries in the shop rather than ordering it online. Too many stories of people getting bad stuff. 

The year for me:

Movies watched at cinema: 0

Movies watched at home: less than 5

Albums listened to: 1

Podcasts listened to: about 20 to 25

Novels read: 0

Jobs gained: 1

Long distance trips cancelled: 2

Friends and family reconnected with: at least 10 individuals

Online grocery orders placed: 7

Restaurant visits: 1

Takeaway orders: 4

Trips more than 10km from home: 1

Soundtracks ordered: 5

Movies purchased: 12 to 15

Cellphone contracts cancelled: 3

Streaming services cancelled: 2

Leisure walks taken: 1

Weddings attended: 1

Gender reveal parties attended: 1

Number of days working from the office: less than 30

Shrubs planted: 1

Rooms painted: 2

Weight gained: ...

3 hours ago, Jay said:

We have a decent sized garden but it doesn't feed us year round

From the pictures I have seen of your year you could grow lots more. But i would image the deer, birds, squirrels and raccoons could/would decimate it. I have grown corn just once and the deer got it just before it was ready to pick. 

Now I just go to the farmers markets. 

I lost short term memory, so I don't know if I already answered to this thread already.

Yes, it changed my life and for the best. Now I work from home and I order food and alcohol online and they deliver it to my door.

It's a real pleasure.

Of course, nobody I know died of Covid19 so far and I earn my life well. This is not the case of everybody, so I find myself very lucky despite the circumstances.