Anyone else ever just wait for the video?

People make a big deal about going to the picture show to see a flick, but often I just like to wait and see it on tape instead. Or even just wait for it on tele if I'm too miserable to even borrow it from the video shop. And usually I can just tape it myself and pause the ads out. Then I can watch it whenever I want.

1 hour ago, Þekþiþm said:

see it on tape instead

borrow it from the video shop

just tape it myself

What decade do you live in?

Just now, Fargo said:

What decade do you live in?

That's his "humor". Intentional anachronism=funny.

When I don't have interest on the movie, I happily wait for it to come out. 

For example, people said Doctor Sleep and the new Terminator from last year was decent, but still didn't convice me to spend theater money on it. So I waited for them to come out in home entertainment.

3 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

People make a big deal about going to the picture show to see a flick, but often I just like to wait and see it on tape instead. Or even just wait for it on tele if I'm too miserable to even borrow it from the video shop. And usually I can just tape it myself and pause the ads out. Then I can watch it whenever I want.

You jest, but for people my age, that was actually our life for most of our childhood! :D

I remember some blockbusters premiering on both premium cable and broadcast TV. Our biggest TV network, Rede Globo, exhibits a movie session called "Tela Quente" (as in "Hot Screen") every Monday night after the telenovela with a new big movie. If I remember correctly, their first movie on this session was Return of the Jedi in 89, but it continues until this day.

When Titanic was going to premiere at television, in December 2000, they had to split the movie in two parts (before and during the sinking), because it was so big. With commercials, it only would've ended by 2 a.m., lol.

Although I have gone to the theatre for a handful of movies, I do wait until most things are on TV, but that's mostly because I just like watching random movies that might be older but still good. I never feel that I absolutely HAVE to watch a new movie that interests me as soon as possible, I know I'll get around to it eventually.

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

Oh, those were the times... I remember when a big blockbuster would have its TV premiere... and the suspense of right before pressing rec at the beginning of the movie, trying to time it perfectly, not wanting to screw up!

And the thrill of knowing that, when the movie ended, that you had it!

Hell yeah! I got that down to a fine art.

But I can now buy a Blu-ray, so I'll officially say that taping off the TV sucks,

9 hours ago, rough cut said:

Oh, those were the times... I remember when a big blockbuster would have its TV premiere... and the suspense of right before pressing rec at the beginning of the movie, trying to time it perfectly, not wanting to screw up!

And the thrill of knowing that, when the movie ended, that you had it!

And trying to time the commercial breaks just right. There was always a slightly longer blackout after the last commercial before the movie returned. That was the tell. 

19 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

And trying to time the commercial breaks just right. There was always a slightly longer blackout after the last commercial before the movie returned. That was the tell. 

And the last ad was usually a house promo for another show on that station.

I very much doubt I'll ever watch a movie in a public cinema again as I'm not really interested in the kinds of movies that are being made these days (I may make an exception for JW3 but only if it gets incredible reviews).

My wife also hates going to the cinema for hygiene reasons (and has for a long time, way before this pandemic started) so that plays into it as well.

Plus the benefits of home watching outweigh the theatrical experience (provided one has the tech). In TRoS I had one of those "and this is what is going to happen next" guys two seats away from me, explaining everything happening onscreen to his pre-teen son *face palm*

I would enjoy the drive in experience but only for older films. Hopefully that will become a thing again.

I love going to the cinema.

Buying candy before the show, finding your seats, the hush that settles in as the movie starts...

The curtains slowly pulls away, the big silver screen lights up, the occasional chair creaks and the rustling of candy wrappers in the dark.

There’s also something thrilling about sharing a good movie - when the movie is good - with a large audience, you can feel it in the air, the atmosphere, it is tangible.

28 minutes ago, rough cut said:

There’s also something thrilling about sharing a good movie - when the movie is good - with a large audience, you can feel it in the air, the atmosphere, it is tangible.

Fanboys.jpg

I agree with rough cut. There's something about the ritual itself, of going to the cinema. Film is always best in the cinema, no doubt. Of course, I'm lucky to be able to see films at press screenings, without annoying audience members, but no amount of home cinema I've seen (and I've seen a lot of fancy setups) have been able to replicate that.

14 hours ago, Thor said:

I agree with rough cut. There's something about the ritual itself, of going to the cinema. Film is always best in the cinema, no doubt. Of course, I'm lucky to be able to see films at press screenings, without annoying audience members, but no amount of home cinema I've seen (and I've seen a lot of fancy setups) have been able to replicate that.

What you need to fully replicate the experience is a guy with crackly candy paper right behind you that foots you in the back every few minutes! And an abnormally tall guy right in front of you.

31 minutes ago, Thor said:

In theory, yes, but only when everything is perfect. That's why I vastly prefer to watch movies at home, because it's a more controllable environment. The only thing I can't control is the size of the screen, but as we all know, size isn't everything.

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What you need to fully replicate the experience is a guy with crackly candy paper right behind you that foots you in the back every few minutes!

hqdefault.jpg

The horror, the horror ...

A quick question, for you, @Thor: what is the difference, in atmosphere, between a press screening, and a public screening? Do critics respond as members of the public would, or do they feel that they have to adopt a different attitude to what they are watching?

4 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A quick question, for you, @Thor: what is the difference, in atmosphere, between a press screening, and a public screening? Do critics respond as members of the public would, or do they feel that they have to adopt a different attitude to what they are watching?

Yeah, they have to pretend they like everything.

I'm sure that @Thor will correct me, if I'm wrong, but...critics are paid to watch films, and then, pass comments. Not the sort of asinine comments that form the content of so many film websites ('"Brilliant!!" - Dave, from Manchester'". Fuck that!), but lucid, insightful, and, above all, honest and educational comments, which befit their cinematic/educational background (yes, I'm looking at you, Winkleman, you total idiot!).

11 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Yeah, they have to pretend they like everything.

Really? You've never read your favorite critic(s), and read contrary reviews?

Most of the time, my colleagues act well, and there is a lot of space for each individual -- depending on which cinema is being used (varies from very small screening rooms at the distributor to using the Cinemateque theatre). It's a 'no-no' to take a seat immediately in front of another critic, for example, and there is almost always at least one seat free on each side. But I've experienced troublesome press screenings too. There was one time, during Asghar Farhadi's THE PAST (a mellow movie), where a young critic behind me decided to eat a couple of CRISP BREADS(!) during the screening. I mentioned this in the podcast we were recording afterwards, and a few weeks later I ran into that same critic at some event. He had heard my complaint in the podcast, and wanted to apologize. 

Also, some big films -- like STAR WARS or whatever -- usually has lots more 'press' than usual, so that's more like a regular screening, really.

These days, I find that if I watch a movie at home - no matter how good the movie - there is always a distraction: my phone.

Either I get a text, or I want to send a text, or I want to look something up they said in the movie or something the movie reminded me about, I pause to go to the kitchen to refill food, snacks, drinks etc etc.

All those things, I avoid by seeing the movie in the cinema. It just becomes that much more of an immersive experience.

Actually, I am watching a movie as I am writing this.

• 2 weeks later...