Questions to Mike Matessino

If you got the chance to talk with Mike, what would you ask him?

Who knows, if he gets really bored during the pandemic, perhaps he could be convinced to come over here and answer a few of the questions, like MV does over at that site which looks like it's from the 90s.

Would the labels consider MOD CD-Rs to circumvent the problem of overloaded CD production plants (and would they be allowed to)?

27 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

Hypothetically, if he were to tackle The Rise of Skywalker, what would he do?

He would refuse. There's no way he'd waste time on such crap. He'd pick up the phone and shout that Man of Steel and The Prestige need his treatment first.

I would talk exclusively about completely unreleased JW scores, and if any initiative has been made to have them released -- in fact, I asked him about this during the Q&A in London two years ago, but we only got into a couple of titles. There is so much more.

All three Harry Potter scores were fully mastered by him in 5 1, then made into stereo for the final CD masters

I believe Minority Report too. Not sure about AI

I'd ask him if Disney already made any contact with him to produce expanded, complete and chronological editions of Star Wars and Indy. And, if not, does he plan to pitch his work to them?

I would ask if he he's interested in and has found elements for the totally unreleased Williams scores (besides Storia di una donna that has been found), and if he has, how he would go on convincing Williams to release them!

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

They would be available in the films they accompany.

Unfortunately combined with dialogue and sound effects, and including the requisite film edits and volume fluctuations.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

I would ask if he he's interested in and has found elements for the totally unreleased Williams scores (besides Storia di una donna that has been found), and if he has, how he would go on convincing Williams to release them!

You and I think very similarly in this regard, filmmusic.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

All three Harry Potter scores were fully mastered by him in 5 1, then made into stereo for the final CD masters

I believe Minority Report too. Not sure about AI

If that's the case, Jay, then why were they not released?

I was fortunate enough to meet Mike last year and ask him my most pressing questions, but if I had the chance again, I would suggest some titles for the Universal Heritage program and ask him how feasible it would be to release them under that banner (in particular, Vangelis' unreleased score for Missing)

I'm sure if there was a non-streaming, 5.1 music medium as popular as stereo CDs, LLL would use it.

It's good that Mike is starting to future proof his expansions so they can be re-released in 5.1 down the line. It would be great to know all the scores he actually mastered in surround sound.

He's always going to be at the mercy of the elements though; I think TLW had to be assembled from stereo elements because the multi-tracks were shedding.

14 minutes ago, crumbs said:

He's always going to be at the mercy of the elements though; I think TLW had to be assembled from stereo elements because the multi-tracks were shedding.

But there's probably a digital backup, although it may not sound as good.

On 4/6/2020 at 8:10 AM, Jay said:

The Harry Potter box set came out in 2018

I think he means the 5.1 versions. I'd love the 5.1 versions.

Didn't the LOTR Complete Recordings come with 5.1 as well? On a DVD-Audio disc? Let's do that again.

I don't believe the labels have the rights to release anything other than a redbook audio CD.  If they were allowed to release a 5.1 release, I doubt the investment it would take to make that happen would ever be recouped by sales, even a big title like Harry Potter.

• 2 weeks later...