Is the score to WATERWORLD one of the 10 best ever written in the history of cinema?

Is the score to WATERWORLD one of the 10 best ever written in the history of cinema?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Is the score to WATERWORLD one of the 10 best ever written in the history of cinema?

I voted Yes because hey, look at my avatar. I have to champion old James here at JWFan ;)

But yeah, Waterworld would be on my top 10 scores from him, maybe top 5. He has always done good job for Kevin Costner, Wyatt Earp and The Postman are classics of his filmography. I love listening to the bootleg Postman score (which is long overdue for an expansion).

7 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Legends of the Fall is better

I know both are named James, but James Horner and JNH are different people :lol:

That said, I'd love to hear a Legends of the Fall from JNH and a Waterworld from Horner.

I've never seen the movie or listened to the score.  I see the score on LLL's site sometimes (temporarily out of stock I believe) and the cover alone always makes me a little interested.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

In order for me to be able to answer this question, I'd like to know what the other 9 "best ever" scores are, so I can make a comparison.

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tunes-01-topp-10-soundtracks/

Click 'show playlist'. This list is like the 10 commandments, etched in stone.

Warning: unpopular opinion incoming

As good as the WW score is, I've always felt the film needed a more "primitive" soundscape, with more emphasis on ethnic instrumentation/percussion and less orchestral bombast (although I generally champion the latter due to my aesthetic preferences).

This is one film which I feel was tailor-made for a Media Ventures type approach.

47 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Thor have you seen the extended cut which runs for about 3 hours and is available in an Arrow Bluray?

I haven't, no! But I aim to.

3 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Thor have you seen the extended cut which runs for about 3 hours and is available in an Arrow Bluray?

This makes the first time I wish I had a Blu-ray player! I never knew there was an extended cut, but man how I would love to watch that right now. I love that movie. 

5 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

This makes the first time I wish I had a Blu-ray player! I never knew there was an extended cut, but man how I would love to watch that right now. I love that movie. 

There is a DVD extended cut too, although it has visible quality differences between the theatrical and the extended scenes (or so I have heard).

I am not a fan of Waterworld in any particular way, I’ve only seen the theatrical cut, but I hear the extended cut is the superior one.

Characters and relationships are better established, and it has more humor, longer action scenes and alternate, better takes where the camera pans, rather than being still, breaths life into scenes.

Hmmm... maybe I should check it out as well.

I love the score to Waterworld; It's one of my favorite 90s scores, one of my favorite JNH scores, and just one of my favorite scores all around.  I enjoy the OST album as well as the expanded album.

But it's not one of the 10 best film scores ever written.