Which adaptation of a previous Williams score (new question added)

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which film score adapted from Williams material is your favourite, and why?

• Superman II
    • Superman III
    • Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
    • Superman Returns
    • Jaws 3-D
    • Jaws: The Revenge
    • Jurassic Park ///
    • Jurassic World
    • Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
    • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
    • Solo: A Star Wars Story
  2. 2. Which film score adapted from Williams material is your LEAST favourite, and why?

• Superman II
    • Superman III
    • Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
    • Superman Returns
    • Jaws 3-D
    • Jaws: The Revenge
    • Jurassic Park ///
    • Jurassic World
    • Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
    • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
    • Solo: A Star Wars Story
  3. 3. Which film score with minimal quotes of Williams material handled his material best?

• Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
    • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I
    • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II
    • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
    • Supergirl
    • Justice League
    • Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure (released theatrically outside North America)

hornist, it's completely fine if you don't like what other composers do with Williams' original material.  But there's no need to come in and attack other JWFan members who want to discuss it.  Be nice and kind, and let everyone on our site feel free to share their opinions, please!

Is moi hornist? I can't believe someone from such a brilliant, developped country like Finland - often on the top of the UN index of great countries to live in - would find any pleasure in trolling a forum.

You know you can click on any user's name and the next screen has a button you can click that shows you all their prior screen names, right?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

hornist, it's completely fine if you don't like what other composers do with Williams' original material.  But there's no need to come in and attack other JWFan members who want to discuss it.  Be nice and kind, and let everyone on our site feel free to share their opinions, please!

Sorry if somebody has taken my posts too seriously. Maybe different culture, different style. Or perhaps too soft skin. But again, sorry if so!! Love. 

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace is my favourite because it is clearly handled by someone who knows what they're doing. It is followed very closely by Solo, which is the most fun of the bunch.

The least favourite is Fallen Kingdom. This score does nothing for me at all. I really tried. I intensely disliked the film as well.

Supergirl wins in the third category. The score is awesome and the brief interaction between the two themes is lovely.

Karol

On 4/6/2020 at 9:59 PM, Cerebral Cortex said:

Whenever I get the chance to voice my opinion on Rogue One, I love just playing the first minute of The Master Switch for them. 30 seconds of the exact same sound followed by another 30 seconds of a slightly denser version of that same sound. Can you imagine somebody like Williams or Powell ever doing something like this?

There are still parts of the score that I like, but it's something that is far too grating to listen to in full. 

I am reminded of how cool From Russia With Shove is compared to that.

35 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The least favourite is Fallen Kingdom. This score does nothing for me at all. I really tried. I intensely disliked the film as well.

The film is intensely frustrating for me because it has a) a lot of ideas that I thought those movies needed several movies ago b) it doesn't quite work at executing them c) it's rooted in the previous one which I haaaaaaaate

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Is moi hornist? I can't believe someone from such a brilliant, developped country like Finland - often on the top of the UN index of great countries to live in - would find any pleasure in trolling a forum.

Such countries have the most and fastest internet access and thus they're the main source of trolls.

On 4/8/2020 at 2:02 PM, JTWfan77 said:

There are some very lovely adaptations of existing Williams material though, my favourites being the Trip to Earth that seques into a variation of the love them before sequing back, the fun variations on Luthor's theme, and the absolutely heartbreaking piece for Supes and Lois's flight home and break up. Thorne did a fantastic job on both scores.

Per the liner notes on the LLL (and probably the Blue Box too, I can't recall), Williams told Ilya Salkind that he absolutely could not work with Richard Lester. It had nothing to do with being too busy. Makes sense as Lester clearly did not understand the character at all.

I don't deny that whatsoever. I love the section from 6:11 to 6:23 in the first track, and I recall really liking how the Fortress material was handled. It's just that when you're adapting another person's work, you're really expected to put your own spin on it. Gia's efforts with SW and JP might be extremely mixed, but I do certainly feel he at least gave it a go at putting his voice in both properties. Thorne's II, like DrTenma said, is pretty much a glorified re-recording. Definitely a solid one, but that's about it.

I was actually referring to Returns there, per the comment you'd posted above me. Whether it be that or II, it is still a shame Williams never had a proper go at a Superman sequel. I'm just happy at least IV managed to be the CoS of the series in a sense (it's probably more different than what the official credits say).

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

Supergirl wins in the third category. The score is awesome and the brief interaction between the two themes is lovely.

You know, for the longest time, I thought Goldsmith was actually reprising the Smallville theme, since the arrangement was so similar to it. It's only now that I hear it is indeed the main fanfare. Perhaps it was an intentional choice.

For 3rd category, I picked Goblet of Fire simply because it's my favorite score in that series. Williams entries are stronger certainly, but something about Doyle's sensibilities really hit me in the right spot. JL didn't do the most it could with his material, and I'd need to give Supergirl another go when I find a better sounding copy.