Spiderman round 2.

JoeinAR

Decided to give the Spiderman DVD a look this weekend, to see if I want it.

I will pass.

As I thought before its a good movie, but its so damn slow.

Danny Elfman fails to deliver a great score. I noticed it, or actually didn't notice it.

This isn't in Superman's league, or Batman's.

Sadly 2nd time around isn't as good. Not nearly as good.

Best line in the movie is when Aunt May tell's Peter "you're not Superman you know." Boy was she right.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sums up my experience of seeing the movie a second time in theaters, rather well. I was checking my watch the whole time. Even my 10-year-old nephew was bored. It was strange because we'd really enjoyed it the first time around. As I'd seen AOTC by that point, I was also a bit confused by the way many main-stream critics were praising Spider-Man while bashing Episode II. I don't mind negative reviews as they don't affect my enjoyment of a movie, but I would prefer critics to be objective and fair from a purely critical standpoint. How anyone can honestly say that the dialogue and performances are that much better in Spider-Man is rather difficult for me to fathom. The only possible explaination I can come up with is that these critics expected more from a Star Wars movie while expecting Spider-Man to be complete pile of crap. Off the top of my head, I can only recall Roger Ebert being equally harsh on both.

I loved the movie on the first time i saw it, but, like alot of other people it seems, thought it was down-right boring on the second. I have it on DVD (mainly because my brother is a fan) and i have listened to the commentary. The director seems to love the score (i don't really know why) because he kept referring to it as "Danny Elfman's beautiful score." The thing i felt was really wrong with the score was that it seemed to completely lack power which is something it should have had considering it was a super hero movie. :? It didn't have a main theme either. Overall, i didn't like it very much and i think that this is a pity because it introduced me to Elfman's work and it wasn't such a good score of his for me to notice first because even though i have heard some of his better scores, that first experience from his music was a sour one.

My girlfriend fell asleep during Spiderman.

I guess when it comes to filming Superheroes only The X-Men is being worthy for a viewing or two. I haven't seen the sequel though.

And Superman I and II, of course. Whether they've dated (as some people say) or not. I don't care. They still rule in my memory.

----------------

Alex Cremers

As I said, in my memory, meaning, it's been quite a while now since I've seen them. But who am I? Just listen to the general consensus ( especially the devine professional critics) and your quite alone with your Superman II doubts, Stefancos. Most people think it's even better. Maybe I just have to buy that DVD box, to find out , huh. Why don't you give me yours since you're not doing anything with it?

Anyway, kneel before Zod!

----------------

Alex Cremers

Even though i don't enjoy number I so much anymore, i am anticipating spider-man II. I don't really know why, i guess i am just one of those people who falls into the traps of movie marketing. One reason i really want to see the sequel is because of Doc. Ock, one of my favourite Spider-man villains! And another reason is for Kirsten Dunst :roll: :oops: :lsvader:

Will Danny Elfman score Spidey 2, he doesn't do to many sequels i heard.

Alex, Superman II is definatly NOT a better film, it's an uneasy mix between the spot on tone of the fist film and the misplaced camp humour Richard Lester brought into it after Richard Donner was fired.

Also, it totally lacks the epic feel of the first film.

You know that a film is in trouble when it has Clifton James playing a souther sherrif.

Reeve manages to keep this film from crashing and burning, the best scene in the film IMO, is the moment in the honeymoon suite when Lois discovers he is Superman, he first tries to deny it, in his typical Clark Kent fasion, sees it's pointless, then takes off his glasses and changes his posture and BECOMES Superman.

Reeve was brilliant in these films, even if the scripts were not.

Stefancos- Who only watched Superman III once. :lsvader:

I have seen spiderman just ones.

So I'm still having the happy thoughts of the film

But when I think again and this time in more detail. I have to admit it wasn't as great as I first thought.

But still the acting is a lot better than the acting of Hayen Christensen in ATOC.

Just listen to the general consensus ( especially the devine professional critics) and your quite alone with your Superman II doubts, Stefancos. Most people think it's even better.  

That isn't the consensus here. Any and all of us who have seen Superman and Superman II know that had Richard Donner been allowed to create the movie he wanted, then Superman II might have been great, but as it is, its just watchable because of Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder.

Alex, watch the Superman DVD and listen to Donners commentary and you will find some real understanding on why many of us here feel this way.

I've only seen Spider-Man once. That was enough.

Neil - who saw Superman - The Movie 5 times in 3 days in the theater.

Meanwhile

Kneel before Alex, Stefancos! Kneel before... What? Well, well, well. Now Joe has joined forces with Stefancos? Kneel before Alex, Joe! You too Stefancos. Kneel and pray I won't be seeing and reviewing Superman II anytime soon.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Bow, yield, kneel, that stuff closes out of town.

Finally, I'm starting to hear some bad things about Spider-Man! It took a while but I'm glad to hear that others are coming around and realising what a dull and uninspiring film this really was. I've seen it just the once during its cinematic release and found it trite and cheesy and lacking in almost any redeeming features. Total dross.

CYPHER

What Spiderman has that AOTC lacked is a good script and direction that wasn't hopeless. I enjoyed it. ;)

Personally I think it lost sight of the characters and made it boring. The ending is just Spidey and Goblin beating the living crap out of each other untill one of them gets it in the little Goblin.

Justin -Who MUCH prefers the X-Men films.

Yay, me too Justin! And it's not just because I prefer the X-Men comics at all, honest ROTFLMAO. Seriously though, the two X-Men films are in my opinion far superior to Spider-Man. But that hardly comes as a surprise now does it? Personally the climactic battle between Spider-Man and Green Goblin felt like something out of the Power Rangers movie. No, wait... the Power Rangers TV SHOW! LOL

CYPHER

While Spiderman wasn't perfect it was an enjoyable film to watch. I liked it the first time I saw it and still do. It's one sequel I'm actaully looking forward to seeing.