Second Spin shutting down

We also have a little sad news to report: The physical media retailer Second Spin is apparently going out of business due to the impact of the coronavirus. You can currently get their existing stock of titles for as much as 60% off on their website here.

This is very sad. i bought a lot of my soundtracks from them.

Source: https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/040620-1200

Yes. I've been aware of them for years. Sorry to hear them go. I see that they ship without jewel case internationally -- which is great, because it reduces some of the insane costs of shipping internationally these days. Perhaps I'll use this opportunity to FINALLY buy a new CD. I haven't done so in ages. Let's see if I find anything on my relatively small want list.

I looked through their catalogue, and alas I only found ONE item on my want list. So the deal is not worth it for me, I'm afraid.

FIFTY SHADES FREED by Elfman. This is my want list at the present time:

John Williams - Goodbye Mr. Chips
John Williams - Stanley & Iris/Pete'n'Tillie
John Williams - Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
John Williams - Star Wars, Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Danny Elfman - The End of the Tour 
Danny Elfman - Avengers: Age of Ultron 
Danny Elfman - Goosebumps 
Danny Elfman - The Girl on the Train
Danny Elfman - Before I Wake
Danny Elfman - Fifty Shades Darker
Danny Elfman - Fifty Shades Freed
Danny Elfman - The Circle
Danny Elfman - Tulip Fever
Danny Elfman - Justice League
Danny Elfman - Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot
Danny Elfman - Dumbo
Danny Elfman - Eleven Eleven etc.
Danny Elfman - Men in Black International
Danny Elfman - The Grinch
Danny Elfman - Dolittle 

Elliot Goldenthal - Othello Symphony
Elliot Goldenthal - Symphony in G Minor
Elliot Goldenthal - A Midsummer Night's Dream

Alan Parsons - The Secret
Rammstein - Rammstein

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

I've got that!

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

John Williams - Superman IV: The Quest for Peace

I thought you had that one.

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

Elliot Goldenthal - A Midsummer Night's Dream

Better get Mendelssohn's superior version. ;)

21 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I thought you had that one.

I do. In file format (the one that was included with the Blue Box). But I need to have it in physical format.

In fact, I own ALL of the titles on my want list in file format. But I need to have them physically, if I am to continue my completism regarding these artists and composers that I started decades ago. As you can see, I've been severely slacking off in the Elfman department the last few years.

I haven't missed anything. I have them all! :)

But yes, I don't care for any of the big blockbuster things. Had it not been for my completist 'condition', I would never have bought them or had them on any want list. But some of the smaller things; I don't mind getting those in CD format too.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I haven't missed anything. I have them all! :)

But yes, I don't care for any of the big blockbuster things. Had it not been for my completist 'condition', I would never have bought them or had them on any want list. But some of the smaller things; I don't mind getting those in CD format too.

Just think about all the JW expansions you could have bought for those money!

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes. I've been aware of them for years. Sorry to hear them go. I see that they ship without jewel case internationally -- which is great, because it reduces some of the insane costs of shipping internationally these days.

Yes, exactly this. I wish others would follow suit. Most of the time the cases arrive cracked or in pieces so need to be replaced. In addition, they had weekly discount offers of up to 1/3 off for orders over a certain value, and often offered free or very affordable shipping for international buyers.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I see that they don't grade the condition of ther used CDs, so they would be quite useless to me. I like to have my CD albums in at least a very good condition.

I've never had a problem with that, the worst I've received from them is a disc with a few light swirls, but that fortunately played fine. I have received a few inserts that were worse for wear but that is usually factored into the price, so for me it's still a win.

4 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I've never had a problem with that, the worst I've received from them is a disc with a few light swirls, but that fortunately played fine. I have received a few inserts that were worse for wear but that is usually factored into the price, so for me it's still a win.

Well, I never have time to listen to my CDs, so I just look at them. ;)

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Exactly. I usually just look at my want list and listen to samples of stuff I have but am too lazy to commit to :D

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Go get it, it's a limited release! When it's sold out, Stanley and Iris will have chances to get a reissue one day, however, Pete'n'Tillie...

17 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Go get it, it's a limited release! When it's sold out, Stanley and Iris will have chances to get a reissue one day, however, Pete'n'Tillie...

I've had the OST of STANLEY & IRIS for two decades, and am content with that. This album is only on my want list for PETE'N'TILLIE, which I do need to get in physical format to fulfill my own set rules of completism (having a representative release of each composition in physical format once it's commercially available). Yes, I'm no doubt doing the GOODBYE MR. CHIPS mistake all over again by not picking it up while it's still in primary market rotation, but $30-35 with today's crappy exchange rate is too much. And it's only for the PETE'N'TILLIE selection. And I already have it in file format. Hard for me to justify with my empty wallet. But it will no doubt be more expensive later on, on the secondary market, as CHIPS has. Tricky stuff!

Btw, I did not expect to find limited releases like this on Second Spin, but I was surprised not to find a single album of the fairly common RISE OF SKYWALKER.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's funny, because you sure have a lot of time to post on this forum, dude. Lol

4 hours ago, Thor said:

This album is only on my want list for PETE'N'TILLIE.

I know.;) I recommend you to buy it as soon as possible, because my prediction is that if there is a reissue of Stanley and Iris, it will be without Pete'n'Tillie.

7 hours ago, Smeltington said:

I'm flattered!

You better be!

6 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I know.;) I recommend you to buy it as soon as possible, because my prediction is that if there is a reissue of Stanley and Iris, it will be without Pete'n'Tillie.

Or perhaps just without Tillie.

33 minutes ago, Thor said:

It looked that way for a while in the movie, but Tillie eventually teams up with Pete again at the end of the movie. ;)

I guess it was a low budget film, so they could afford to have her in the whole thing.