JW in the classic FM Hall of Fame 2020 - 13 entries!

bollemanneke

• 11 months later...

Why is WOTW ahead of CE3K?

Probably because FM radio is more likely to play film music in modern times.

In the Seventies , you never heard film music on fm

Einudi?

Binge?

Who?

Diversity picks?

😎

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Don't trust a ranking that ranks Einaudi above Verdi, Saint-Saens, Ravel and Wagner.

And why is there no Prokofiev?

The annual Classic FM poll is based on the radio station's listeners nominating their three favourite pieces of classical (in the broadest sense of the term) music.  Classic FM tends to play the more accessible pieces from the classical repertoire without too much variety - you are unlikely to hear any Stockhausen or Boulez, for example - therefore to some degree the poll will always reflect the pieces they play most.  Prokofiev is played on Classic FM, but it tends to be either Dance of the Knights from Romeo and Juliet or the troika from Lieutenant Kije and not much else.

@Fabulin's list shows the composers with most entries in the top 300 and the positions of those entries.

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Einudi?

Binge?

Who?

Diversity picks?

If Classic FM was a BBC station you might have a point about diversity, but Ronald Binge's music is about as white and English as you can get.  His light music is especially well loved by British listeners of a certain age, especially Sailing By, Elizabethan Serenade and The Watermill.  Listeners will not vote for something they don't like, so it is a fairly democratic poll at least.  As for Einaudi, while the attraction of his music is largely lost on me, the fact is that Classic FM plays it an awful lot so he is bound to feature prominently in any poll of listeners to the station.

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Why is WOTW ahead of CE3K?

Probably because FM radio is more likely to play film music in modern times.

In the Seventies , you never heard film music on fm

Einudi?

Binge?

Who?

Diversity picks?

😎

Why is WOTW in that list in the first place?

Bruce was responded to my post from a year ago: 

On 4/13/2020 at 12:51 PM, Jay said:

The real question is how did it place higher than CE3K

Which was my response to your original post

On 4/13/2020 at 12:40 PM, bollemanneke said:

how did WOTW get in that list?

On 3/29/2021 at 1:48 PM, Thor said:

Am I to take it, then, that this John Williams fellow is a famous composer?

John Williams? He's a comer.

On 3/29/2021 at 4:20 PM, GerateWohl said:

Don't trust a ranking that ranks Einaudi above Verdi, Saint-Saens, Ravel and Wagner.

Agreed. It's just repetitive, moronic gobshite. A second year music student could do better.

On 3/29/2021 at 10:12 PM, rough cut said:

I really should listen to the expanded WOTW that’s lying around here somewhere.

Intrada are just posting a replacement for mine because the first one they sent has last been seen at Heathrow, over 6 weeks ago.

Nice to see Williams on there, but it’s a silly list anyway. There used to be a campaign encouraging people to vote for their favorite videogame music so that it would be ‘recognized’ as classical music. Now I love videogame music, but I don’t see the point of putting the soundtrack of Banjo Kazooie next to Mozart.

29 minutes ago, Remco said:

Nice to see Williams on there, but it’s a silly list anyway. There used to be a campaign encouraging people to vote for their favorite videogame music so that it would be ‘recognized’ as classical music. Now I love videogame music, but I don’t see the point of putting the soundtrack of Banjo Kazooie next to Mozart.

That's missing the point. Obviously every such list gets sillier and sillier the lower one goes. But that is true for any list, whether made by critics, audiences, or whomever. Williams is a composer of the caliber of Tchaikovsky and Haendel and his position makes the list more, not less valid. It has been an elephant in the room for quite some time that this is where he belongs.The takeaway is that we have yet another indicator of his ongoing canonification.

The list says he’s popular among ClassicFM listeners. What does it really say about canonification and, does it really matter?

Williams is a caliber on his own really. What’s the point of comparing him to Händel or Tchaikovsky or any other composer that made totally different music in the past?

10 hours ago, rough cut said:

Sounds like something from the gossip column.

Last seen on a plane, heading to Ibiza with a hot blonde on his side.”

That's pretty much what I picture my lost CDs doing right now.

15 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Intrada are just posting a replacement for mine because the first one they sent has last been seen at Heathrow, over 6 weeks ago.

Your copy escaped before it even arrived. :lol: