Why don't they ever release original versions of soundtracks from the movies?

toni112007

Yes, why don't they? Just listen to Imperial March from the ESB "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLmUgeHc2tw" (background sounds can't be removed) and if you can hear well you can conclude that this isn't the same bad quality version that we got on the album... I really wish they would one day release original movie mix of Imperial March and ROTS Duel of the Fates version which had different choir from TPM version.

Yeah, the Imperial March sounds better in the scene with Darth Vader star destroyer than it ever has on album. Film mixes tend to be punchier and possibly even have additional reverb that makes them sound better. I don't know. I'm not an expert when it comes to the technicalities of it and there are always people who disagree with me.

Hook is another example for me that has the music mixed not only very prominently in the film mix but it tends to sound better than it ever has outside of the movie.

7 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Hook is another example for me that has the music mixed not only very prominently in the film mix but it tends to sound better than it ever has outside of the movie.

Lucky Didier used the film stems for the Hook expansion then, hey?

Many reasons, but here are a few.  The composer's preferred version of many cues might be different from what the director used.  So what's in the film doesn't match what the composer intended, like a harsh harmony was loved by the composer but not liked by the director so the composer did another take softening the harshness.  The OST gives the composer the ability to release their vision of how it could have been.  Sometimes the composer will prefer a version with mistakes but is a better interpretation for example.  The composer might also be trying things out.  That passage they wanted in 6 horns was best with a solo horn so there are two versions.  The six horn version is on the OST but the solo horn version is in the film for instance.  Sometimes the film editor/sound editor edited the music without the composer's knowledge or used temp score or an alternate take/cue and the composer had no involvement in that last minute choice.  Sometimes the director's choices aren't the best musical choices and there are many different versions of the material.  The composer might put their preferred version on the OST where they are the director which is nothing like what's in the film.  Finally, there is a mastering step that happens to OST to make it sound reasonably well across any listening devise.  Very different from a theater centric mix.  Perhaps most people listen on headphones or iPhone or something so the mixer will create a new mix called the master that is for best overall musical experience which probably means it isn't great at anything but reasonable in any listening situation.  The bass levels, EQ, sheen, balance, etc., will literally be different for the consumer version of this audio.