John Williams' workout tracks

finalscore

Being in self-isolation and having to do therapeutic exercises due to a medical condition from 8 months ago, I find the following cues by the Maestro helping to make these exercises easy to get through.

Which of his cues would you play during your workout/therapy? I'm trying to limit it to 10 tracks.

THE IMPERIAL MARCH - TESB

ONE BARREL CHASE - JAWS

SUPERMAN MARCH - STM

TO THORNWOOD - JANE EYRE

HERE THEY COME! - SW ANH

TO SCARBOROUGH - DRACULA

RAIDERS MARCH - ROTA

MARCH FROM"1941"

MAN TITLES - TOWERING INFERNO

ATTACK ON THE WATER SKIER - JAWS2

Neither Williams, nor any other film music, functions as workout music for me. Unless it's upbeat synth stuff and the like. Anything else is really silly, "anorak" stuff for this particular purpose.

When I worked out (I use past tense because I haven't really worked out since the fall of 2017), I prefer psytrance, fat rock beats etc. Alternatively whatever crap they play over the gym loudspeakers; I don't really need music in the first place.

Marches don't really do it for me re: workout - I typically need something propulsive/energetic, not too peppy, not too slow.  A weird stew for me.  Setting the Trap may be just the right tempo, although it's a little short. 

Of the three film score tracks I've used on running or cycling playlists, only one is Williams - Adventures on Earth works great, at least for the chase portion of it.

(The other two are a track from Doctor Who and weirdly a track from Patrick Doyle's Igor).

Every action cue the Maestro has ever done! Everything with propulsive energy.

I do pick up to ten with each workout and exercise. Yesterday, my workout was to the following from Jurassic Park and The Lost World:

The Falling Car and The T-Rex Chase, High Wire Stunts, Hungry Raptor, T-Rex Rescue and Finale, The Lost World, Corporate Helicopters, The Hunt, In the Trailer, Rescuing Sarah, and Ripples.

For strength training I would pick the Arena:

(You can hear me trying to do a single pullup at 4:44)

For cardio, maybe something lighter, like this:

10 minutes ago, Loert said:

For strength training I would pick the Arena:

(You can hear me trying to do a single pullup at 4:44)

For cardio, maybe something lighter, like this:

The complete score? Do you run a marathon, or what?

9 minutes ago, Loert said:

I don't have a sarcastic reply so I'll just say:

No.

Try again! ;)

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Neither Williams, nor any other film music, functions as workout music for me. Unless it's upbeat synth stuff and the like. Anything else is really silly, "anorak" stuff for this particular purpose.

When I worked out (I use past tense because I haven't really worked out since the fall of 2017), I prefer psytrance, fat rock beats etc. Alternatively whatever crap they play over the gym loudspeakers; I don't really need music in the first place.

I haven't tried it, but I bet the score to Tron Legacy would work well!

22 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I haven't tried it, but I bet the score to Tron Legacy would work well!

A couple of the tracks, perhaps, but the only score music that works in a workout context (at least for me) is much rougher than that, beat-wise. Stuff like this could work, for example:

I would also need to make a custom playlist with this kind of stuff; playing whole soundtracks simply doesn't work. And there is absolutely nothing -- zero -- in Williams' canon that would work, not even "Training Montage" from SPACE CAMP.

But again, no music at all is the absolute best thing -- unless you're doing Aerobics or something.

I'm not fan of orchestral music for working out either. I prefer something more electronic, abrasive, rougher. In any case, whatever electronic crap they play on the speakers is fine for me.

Gosh, I miss working out at the gym. This corona could really disappear soon.

Usually don't listen to scores while working out but one time I did hit a personal record on a bench press using "The Death of Rexor" from Conan. Specifically from :37 to about 1:10

When I run I always listen to Temple of Doom.  'Short Round Escapes' all the way to 'End Credits' was a blessing to listen to.

Anything with the TIE Fighter theme ('Ben's Death/TIE Fighter Attack', 'Battle of Endor III', 'The Battle of Crait')

'The Dash Across No Man's Land' - War Horse

'Desert Chase' - Raiders

'The Battle of Hoth Medley' - The Empire Strikes Back

Non Williams, go with these two:

'The Buffalo Hunt' - Dances with Wolves (John Barry)

'Training Sequence' - Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (Michael Kamen)

If you don't choose 'The Elevator Scene' from Revenge of the Sith, you're working out wrong.

-says a guy who barely works out. 

15 hours ago, Darth Porkins said:

Usually don't listen to scores while working out but one time I did hit a personal record on a bench press using "The Death of Rexor" from Conan. Specifically from :37 to about 1:10

now you gotta tell us what the record was!

On 4/16/2020 at 7:22 AM, TheUlyssesian said:

now you gotta tell us what the record was!

It was a couple of years ago but I wanna say 250lbs for 4 reps.