The "The Phantom Menace Lovefest" Thread

Thor, this is a thread where we all can be happy.

Edmilson, yes!! And what about Blow-Ups?

Such powerful action cues in this score, I wonder if it benefited from following close on the heels of Williams' MOST badass action score, The Lost World?

25 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Edmilson, yes!! And what about Blow-Ups?

Such powerful action cues in this score, I wonder if it benefited from following close on the heels of Williams' MOST badass action score, The Lost World?

Another great track.

My favorite era of action music for Williams is the 90s/2000s, from The Lost World until about 2005. There's some amazing cues in that era. 

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Love the score, of course, but I have no need for another STAR WARS thread. This board has too many of them already. It's as if that's the only thing people care about.

Let's all move on to Star Wars Youtube Poops.

7 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I liked the video game where Qui-Gon walks in on those Twilek hookers.

I spent a lot of time in that game - underrated as far as Star Wars games go, IMO.  A little glitchy, if I recall, but it had a good mix of action and exploration, some RPG style trade quests in Mos Espa and maybe elsewhere.  I think Otoh Gunga was a bit infuriating to navigate through.

I think it’s amazing that Weird Al wrote a song about the entire plot of the movie based on Internet spoilers before its release.  I don’t care much for the song (since it’s just a retelling of TPM and not particularly funny otherwise), but that is a feat and pretty bold!

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, mstrox said:

Agreed, but a straight retelling of The Phantom Menace to the tune of an overlong, middling hit doesn't exactly tickle me as good, funny or not.

It's like when people conflate pop culture references with jokes. But they're not jokes, they're just references, and although they may be intended as humourous, they're not laugh-out-loud funny, they're just kinda there. I think that's the reason I never got Family Guy, I saw a few episodes of it, and I recognised a few pop culture references, but I also recognised they were intended to provoke laughter, but to me they didn't, simply because they weren't jokes, let alone funny.

Can someone please tell what recording this is?  It CAN'T be from The Phantom Menace sessions... and I can't place where this recording is from.

Thanks in advance.

-Erik-

Pretty much all the complete edits I have heard from this score include the piece (and no pieces recorded by different orchestras). And the sound and performance are consistent with the rest of the score. I reckon I might have been the original end credits, but they were replaced by the Duel of the Fates and Anakin's theme concert suites in the final film

42 minutes ago, Romão said:

Pretty much all the complete edits I have heard from this score include the piece (and no pieces recorded by different orchestras). And the sound and performance are consistent with the rest of the score. I reckon I might have been the original end credits, but they were replaced by the Duel of the Fates and Anakin's theme concert suites in the final film

I HIGHLY doubt this was recorded for the end credits of the film. It's WAY TOO short for end credit crawls at that time. And I'm pretty sure the concert suites of Duel of the Fates and Anakin's Theme were written specifically FOR the end credits.

I'm really curious as to what the purpose was for re-recording the Star Wars end titles during these sessions?

-Erik-

1 hour ago, Erik Woods said:

I'm really curious as to what the purpose was for re-recording the Star Wars end titles during these sessions?

Possibly just a warmup/rehearsal on the first day of the sessions that they recorded for the hell of it.

Makes sense when you consider the 16 year hiatus between SW scores. Wasn't it his first score in London/with the LSO since ROTJ?

Guessing this isn't listed on whatever paperwork we have for TPM?

12 hours ago, crumbs said:

Possibly just a warmup/rehearsal on the first day of the sessions that they recorded for the hell of it.

Makes sense when you consider the 16 year hiatus between SW scores. Wasn't it his first score in London/with the LSO since ROTJ?

Guessing this isn't listed on whatever paperwork we have for TPM?

Make sense to me.  That's what I was thinking too!

Cheers,

-Erik-

They'd never spend time and money rehearsing and recording the cue if there wasn't a possibility that it would be used. My guess is that the content of the end title suite wasn't entirely determined at the time.

If they needed a warmup with a familiar cue, which sounds unlikely, they got that with the Main Title.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

They'd never spend time and money rehearsing and recording the cue if there wasn't a possibility that it would be used. My guess is that the content of the end title suite wasn't entirely determined at the time.

If they needed a warmup with a familiar cue, which sounds unlikely, they got that with the Main Title.

I’ve been to recording sessions where other things have been recorded that wasn’t used in the project they were working on.

Again, this recording of the Star Wars end credits is 1) Too bloody short 2) There no natural break to insert anything else 3) Leia’s Theme make no sense. 

BTW, they did have the end credits worked out. Duel of the Fates and Anakin’s Theme were written for the end credits.

-Erik-

I just want to let you know that "phantom menace" and "lovefest" don't go together well, my Michelle.