Poll: Legends of the Fall

Jurassic Shark

Poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own the OST of Legends of the Fall?

2. 2. Are you planning to get the expanded release?

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ps, JS, why is this thread not on

"General'?

It probably happened due to the coronavirus.

@Incanus, or someone else with unlimited power, please move this poll to the General discussion category.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Saw the film once. Overlong and boring for the most part.

The OST is fun in occasional Thor-sized chunks; I don't need more.

This.

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

(is this a good James Horner score?)

It's typical mid-90s Jimmy; derivative, but a quite good effort, nonetheless. It's far superior to the film that it was written for.

I already own the bootleg. As I said on the other thread, there's some great unreleased cues if you love the score (like myself) and want to get more of that sound (which is amazing). But if you don't care about the score, or just like it in small doses, the OST provides more enough material of it.

3 hours ago, Smeltington said:

I'll probably get it, but I want to see who worked on it and if it has any issues.

I know right, especially after the Rocketeer and Mummy debacles.

1. No

2. No

Would have voted 'maybe' for #2 though.  I've always liked James Horner's work, and I regret not getting a few of his expansions that seem to have been sold out for quite some time, so maybe I won't miss out on this. 

I've never seen the movie though, and that usually plays a role in me liking and wanting a score, especially when it's a Non-Williams score.  And I have absolutely no intention of seeing this film any time soon.  But who knows.

Legends of the Fall is fascinating for me, in a sense that, if it wasn't for us film music fans, that movie would've been forgotten already.

The movie isn't good, it wasn't exactly a box office hit, nor a movie that won several Oscars... No one should be able to remember this thing, but Horner's music stops this film from being completly forgotten. 

I guess not even Brad Pitt wants to remember he was the protagonist of this movie. The only reason it is talked about until this day is because us, film music fans that love the score.

It's a fascinating way to think about the power of our fandom.

11 hours ago, Smeltington said:

I'll probably get it, but I want to see who worked on it and if it has any issues. Haven't heard the OST, but I like a good James Horner score.

(is this a good James Horner score?)

Mike Matessino and Neil Bulk. 

12 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Legends of the Fall is fascinating for me, in a sense that, if it wasn't for us film music fans, that movie would've been forgotten already.

The movie isn't good, it wasn't exactly a box office hit, nor a movie that won several Oscars... No one should be able to remember this thing, but Horner's music stops this film from being completly forgotten. 

I guess not even Brad Pitt wants to remember he was the protagonist of this movie. The only reason it is talked about until this day is because us, film music fans that love the score.

It's a fascinating way to think about the power of our fandom.

Ever heard of Inchon?

Have had the CD ever since it came out. Great cornerstone of a score in Horner's resume, although the album is slightly over-long as it is (so no expansion wanted, of course). It's been many years since I saw the film, so I have few memories of it. I seem to remember it as a fairly OK western melodrama, but that's about it. And Anthony Hopkins is my second favourite actor of all time, so I can watch him in anything and get immense pleasure out of it.

It's a Goldsmith-scored film. Goldsmith was the master at scoring bad movies, many of which are only remembered by film score fans like us today, based on the music alone. He's really the ultimate example of this.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm inclined to agree. It's also one of my alltime favourite films.

...and mine. It's a sublime piece of work. A good friend of mine thinks it's about two people bitching about a Chinaman. He just doesn't get it.

Hopkins is channelling the same kind of repressive emotion, that De Nero does, in THE KING OF COMEDY.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

It's a Goldsmith-scored film. Goldsmith was the master at scoring bad movies, many of which are only remembered by film score fans like us today, based on the music alone. He's really the ultimate example of this.

3 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

The prime example of a movie that nobody would remember if there wasn't the score.

Thanks. It's amazing that Goldsmith's career has so many movies that no one cares except us, and just because of the score. Horner also has his fair share as well (I love the score for Sneakers, but the movie is completly forgotten) and even Williams. How many of us would've been discussing Far and Away 28 years later if it wasn't for his music?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Morricone probably still wins this crown, but he also did thrice as many movies.

Speaking of which, while i adore Horner's themes for 'Legends..', in tandem with Zwick's schmaltzy opus it 'lifts this movie into pure satire. It's like Barry on steroids, overselling every fateful moment into delirious silliness. It's entertaining but unintentionally.

I agree that it's more than well-represented on the 75-minute Sony album, Horner doesn't develop his material much, so it's just more of the same.

Just now, Edmilson said:

I love the score for Sneakers, but the movie is completly forgotten

What? Everyone of my generation remembers Sneakers, it was the first techie/nerds picture done as well-constructed glossy thriller and was very well-liked.

Yes, SNEAKERS is an oft-mentioned reference point of that particular genre. It's neither bad nor forgotten. If you want Horner "clankers", try the early B movies like BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS or KRULL.

It's that I never really knew that a movie called Sneakers existed until I started listening to Horner. It's one of my top 15 (maybe 10) Horner scores, and I plan on checking the movie anytime soon.

^Don't expect too much. All I can remember from seeing that film is that they couldn't even get the position of Durban correct on the map, the whole cinema audience LOLed at that.

Re Legends, I am listening to the DVD iso and to be honest I think the OST covers all the highlights. I will probably get the Intrada purely as it is one of Horner's signature scores from the 90s along with Braveheart and Apollo 13.

41 minutes ago, Laserschwert said:

Reminds me of watching the "A-Team" movie in a cinema in Cologne, Germany. When an aerial shot of Cologne central station came up (with the cinema I was in just barely out of frame), subtitled "Frankfurt, Germany", the room bursted out in laughter.

Ha, ha. Americans! To them, all of Europe is the same.