James Horner's LEGENDS OF THE FALL - 2020 Intrada 2CD set

Jay

INTRADA Announces:

ImageImage

LEGENDS OF THE FALL
Music Composed and Conducted by JAMES HORNER
INTRADA ISC 443

First and foremost, Intrada wants everyone to know that you and your families are all in our thoughts, hoping you stay safe and healthy through this trying time. May you find solace in the vast wealth of beautiful music in the universe, where we often turn to help sort through and understand our feelings.

And now back to our regular program...

Intrada's latest release from composer James Horner is one of his grandest works -- the 1994 western Legends of the Fall. Horner graced Legends of the Fall with no fewer than five broad, sweeping themes that recur throughout the picture, writing almost all of the score in the key of D major or related keys. The film was directed by Ed Zwick, with whom Horner previously collaborated on his magnificent score to Glory. After Zwick discussed the score and heard Horner's final product, Zwick commented, "All I can say is that somehow James managed to distill all these lofty conversations into a score that is at once brooding and lush, redolent of both love and loss, and that touches that secret place of awe I had experienced only once before—upon my first reading of Legends of the Fall." Not that the score isn't without its moments of action, including a brilliant moment where Horner lays down the theme for Tristan on strings and horns over a bed of propulsive rhythm. It all combines to create an epic score and one of Horner's finest.

While the original CD release was a generous presenation of Horner's score, this new presentation expands the program considerably, filling up two CDs, including 35 minutes of alternates.

The film tells of a two-generational saga—filled with loss and desire—involving Col. William Ludlow (Anthony Hopkins in the film), a renegade with a moral stripe; his distant wife, Isabel (Christina Pickles); their three sons: Alfred (Aidan Quinn), Tristan (Brad Pitt) and Samuel (Henry Thomas); and the woman who suffers the fate of loving all three of them, Susannah (Julia Ormond).

INTRADA ISC 443
Barcode: 720258544308
Retail Price: $29.99

Note: Due to local restrictions related to the pandemic, shipping time may be slower than usual

For track listing and sound samples, please visit the Legends of the Fall soundtrack page at http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12172/.f?sc=13&category=22848

media.nl?id=31585&c=ACCT67745&h=608febd1

media.nl?id=31586&c=ACCT67745&h=2d171692

media.nl?id=31587&c=ACCT67745&h=a7fc65d9

LEGENDS OF THE FALL (2CD)
James Horner
Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume ISC 443
Film Date: 1994
Album Date: 2020
Time: 133:54
Tracks: 31
Price: $29.99

Expanded 2-CD release of “legendary” James Horner soundtrack! Hit western period film from TriStar Pictures made Brad Pitt a superstar and countless theater-goers swoon! Edward Zwick directs, Susan Shilliday, Bill Wittliff script from critically-acclaimed novella by Jim Harrison, John Toll wins an Academy Award for his magnificent cinematography. Anthony Hopkins, Aiden Quinn, Henry Thomas, Susan Ormond all feature with young long-haired, free-spirited Pitt as Tristan. Deeply emotional story begins in 1914, prior to the “Great War”. Close-knit family of men and boys finds challenge upon arrival of Susannah (Ormond), engaged to Samuel (Thomas) who longs to go to war. High drama, family crisis, Native Americans, multiple love stories, death all feature in two-generational saga. 

James Horner receives Golden Globe nomination for his magnificent and massive outdoor score. Numerous themes, epic-scale expansive sequences, warfare, romance, love and loss, tragedy all play into richly-woven musical tapestry. Horner manages to broadly develop many ideas and yet keep everything cohesive courtesy both grand orchestral sweep and highly intimate moments, all drawn from use of similar-keys and intertwining of themes. Brilliant painting on a large scale! Highlights are many: Solo trumpet intoning main Legends theme in lean, haunting manner near the outset, warm Americana-style Ludlow theme used frequently but especially rich as the boys go “Off to War”, multi-emotional dimensions of “Samuel’s Death”, percussive outbursts and surging ideas during “Farewell, Descent Into Madness”. Deserving of special spotlight is powerhouse climactic sequence when shootout with police ushers in meaning of “family” with Horner’s masterful music taking center stage. Horner nails the moment! Still another spotlight goes to extremely well-written ending to the score which summarizes major themes and recedes movingly into the distance. Memorable for sure! Yet another asset: Customary manner of lengthy cues from the composer on display here! 

Intrada expanded release includes many previously unreleased cues: “Susannah”, “The Letter”, “The Calf and the Bear”, “Tristan’s Quiet Heart”, “A Moment Alone”, several others. 2-CD set also features 35 minutes of alternates! Loving CD production by Mike Matessino and Neil S. Bulk, highly-informative notes by Frank De Wald grace rich booklet designed by Kay Marshall. Thomas Pasatieri and Don Davis orchestrate, Shawn Murphy Records and mixes. James Horner composes, conducts the London Symphony Orchestra. Intrada Special Collection 2-CD set available while quantities and interest remain!

TRACK LIST

CD1 SCORE PRESENTATION
01. Legends Of The Fall (4:20)
02. Susannah’s Arrival, The Train Station* (2:27)
03. Susannah* (4:36)
04. The Ludlows (5:41)
05. Off To War (5:55)
06. To The Boys (2:49)
07. The Letter* (1:44)
08. Samuel’s Death (8:26)
09. Susannah Stays On* (1:05)
10. Coming Home, Tristan And Susannah* (5:02)
11. Alfred Moves To Helena (3:00)
12. Calf On The Barbie, Bear In The Sights* (2:23)
13. Farewell, Descent Into Madness (8:14)
14. The Changing Seasons, Wild Horses, Tristan’s Return (5:12)
15. Goodbyes (3:12)
16. Love And Bootlegging* (1:15)
17. The Wedding (3:08)
Disc 1 Total Time: 68:37

CD2 SCORE PRESENTATION (continued)
01. Recollections Of Samuel (2:04)
02. Isabel’s Murder (2:03)
03. Tristan Goes To Jail, Last Visit* (3:16)
04. Revenge (6:23)
05. A Moment Alone* (1:10)
06. Alfred, Tristan, The Colonel, The Legend (15:16)
Total Score Presentation: 98:00

THE EXTRAS
07. Twilight And Mist* (2:36)
08. Legends Of The Fall (Extended Version)** (6:36)
09. Isabel’s Murder, Recollections Of Samuel (3:58)
10. Legends Of The Fall (Without Violin)** (4:19)
11. The Train Station (Alternate)* (0:51)
12. The Changing Seasons (Without Synthesizer)** (1:42)
13. Tristan’s Return (Film Version)* (2:44)
14. Alfred, Tristan, The Colonel, The Legend (Film Edit) (12:18)
Total Extras: 35:04
Disc 2 Total Time: 65:23

*previously unreleased
**contains previously unreleased music

Ordered! I'm excited to hear this. And it sure is nice to have something to look forward to.

I'm tired of seeing Brad Pitt's face on all my CDs! I wonder what would work as an alternate cover for this.

Wow the splash art in that article is nice!

legends-album-layout_light_light.jpg

I'm surprised that's not on Intrada's site anywhere.

Wow!  That theme analysis is amazing!  Why can't more scores get amazing articles like this, this is great!

Anyone else notice that the back cover artwork picture says track 1-12 is called "The Calf and the Bear", but the press release says "Calf On The Barbie, Bear In The Sights"?

Or that the back cover artwork picture says track 1-16 is called "Tristan's Quiet Heart", but the press release says "Love And Bootlegging"?

I would speculate Matessino/Bulk changed Horner's original cue names into what you see on the back cover, but the original names remained in the doc whoever makes the press releases pulled the track list from

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Anyone else notice that the back cover artwork picture says track 1-12 is called "The Calf and the Bear", but the press release says "Calf On The Barbie, Bear In The Sights"?

Or that the back cover artwork picture says track 1-16 is called "Tristan's Quiet Heart", but the press release says "Love And Bootlegging"?

I would speculate Matessino/Bulk changed Horner's original cue names into what you see on the back cover, but the original names remained in the doc whoever makes the press releases pulled the track list from

Correct. It's a joke title, a riff on "Shrimp on the Barbie" from Paul Hogan in the 90s. 

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Are Horner's original titles and reel/part numbers included in the booklet?

If it was a Goldsmith score I would say it is likely, since quite few of the Intrada releases of his scores have a cue assembly guide (Ghost and the Darkness, The Sand Pebbles)

but this is Horner so who knows (for what it's worth Ten Commandments also has a cue assembly guide)

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

Are Horner's original titles and reel/part numbers included in the booklet?

Not at all, no. 

I wish Horner scores got that type of info in their booklets like Goldsmith scores did.

5 hours ago, Smeltington said:

I'm tired of seeing Brad Pitt's face on all my CDs! I wonder what would work as an alternate cover for this.

There's one in the FSM custom cover art thread that features his, um, backside.

Posted on April 18 by user Solium (you'll probably need to scroll up to find it)

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=138846&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=10&r=454#bottom

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

There's one in the FSM custom cover art thread that features his, um, backside.

Posted on April 18 by user Solium (you'll probably need to scroll up to find it)

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=138846&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=10&r=454#bottom

LOL. I was expecting something more revealing. That might actually be usable!

I'm fond of the original album and generally I feel that, save for some exceptions, Horner's scores tend to become a little bit too much when presented in complete form.

Anyway, Legends of the Fall has some of the best, most lyrical writing Horner ever did--how can you not love a piece such as "The Ludlows"? And the orchestrations are just spectacular, with a little help from two of the most talented gentlemen in the field (Don Davis and Thomas Pasatieri).

I've never seen the film but know the main theme and really like it (I'm a fan of Horner in this lyrical mode, though I've noticed some of his themes become repetitive in some scores due to excessive usage, as in Bicentennial Man). Any recommendations about purchasing this?

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

I've never seen the film but know the main theme and really like it (I'm a fan of Horner in this lyrical mode, though I've noticed some of his themes become repetitive in some scores due to excessive usage, as in Bicentennial Man). Any recommendations about purchasing this?

I recommend you listen to the OST on YouTube or Spotify before. If you like it, the expanded edition will have more of that style. 

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got around to listening to Legends of the Fall and enjoyed it quite a bit. The use of shakuhachi felt pretty random, but that's Horner for you. I like how it was used even if it didn't make logical sense. The music throughout defaults to being pretty, peaceful, and unfussy, which helps moments of heightened feeling or drama stand out more when they appear.

Does anyone have any info on the extras? In particular, which ones are "keepers" and which are redundant? I doubt that the film edit of "Alfred, Tristan, The Colonel, The Legend" has any alternate material, for example.

Ok, I made an effort to look into the extra tracks on the Intrada set, and here's what I was able to figure out. Please let me know if you see anything needs to be corrected! I never saw the film or heard the OST so I'm completely new to this score.

For my edit, I took the Intrada "main presentation" tracks, swapped "Legends of the Fall" for "Legends of the Fall (extended version)", and edited in the extra material from "Tristan's Return (film version)". At the end, the only bonus tracks I kept were "The Train Station (alternate)" followed by "Twilight and Mist". I omitted all the other bonus tracks.

Here's my breakdown of the tracks from The Extras section:

Twilight and Mist
"Twilight and Mist" is a song in the film sung by Henry Thomas. This seems to be the piano accompaniment without the vocals. The tune from this track is a theme also heard elsewhere in the score. An identical or near-identical piano passage is heard at the beginning of the track "The Ludlows". If desired, "Twilight and Mist" could be edited into the main presentation before "The Ludlows" to match the chronology of the film.

Legends of the Fall (extended version)
Version of Disc 1 track 1 featuring 2 minutes 15 seconds of additional material at the end. This could arguably be used in the main presentation, but was left in the bonus tracks "to keep the album versions in the main sequence", according to Neil S. Bulk in a post on FSM.

Isabel’s Murder, Recollections of Samuel
Presumably this configuration was included only because it appeared on the OST. Appears to be the same material from Disc 2 track 1 and Disc 2 track 2.

Legends of the Fall (without violin)
Same as Disc 1 track 1, but a violin line is absent that can be heard in Disc 1 track 1, and on the OST. Not sure why this version is included here... maybe it was used in the film?

The Train Station (alternate)
A longer alternate composition to Disc 1 track 2. The first 30 seconds of the alternate is unique; the rest seems to be the same as the main presentation.

The Changing Seasons (without synthesizer)
This is the version heard on the OST. It's a portion of Disc 1 track 14 "without the low F note synthesizer drone" (quote from jameshorner-filmmusic.com).

Tristan’s Return (film version)
Version of a portion of Disc 1 track 14 featuring additional material. This could arguably be used in the main presentation, but was left in the bonus tracks "to keep the album versions in the main sequence", according to Neil S. Bulk in a post on FSM. In the "film version" track, the additional material starts at 1 minute 38 seconds and lasts about a minute. Also, the entire "film version" track seems to be a different recording from the same material in the main presentation.

Alfred, Tristan, the Colonel, the Legend (film edit)
Disc 2 track 6, with several sections removed to match edits made for the film. Appears to have no unique material.

Thanks! Not sure if I want to place it there, since it would feel pretty redundant with the opening of The Ludlows. In fact I wonder if it's the exact same composition, but I have no way to be sure, unless someone else knows.