The Reivers feat. Burgess Meredith (original 1980 version, YouTube audio-only)

thx99

The suite has new music

actually I just realized nobody talks over that and I could edit it out of the suite cleanly .wonder why I never thought of it.Added as bonus track to album

From what I recall, the suite is definitely preferable to the OST. Not just in terms of the music itself, but the recording. Reivers has that typically crappy sound of old JW recordings. The suite is more musical and not married to a silly movie. However, JW intended it to be heard with narration. Several years back I was witness to a live performance and JW still had someone narrating it.

I love the suite with the narration. They go wonderfully together. I wish JW would record his narrated suite for Angela's Ashes and perhaps compose narrated suites for Memoirs of a Geisha. Sleepers and The Accidental Tourist

I heard him do it with the CSO and Senator Simpson (I think--he was long since retired).  It is a wonderful piece of art and damn fine music as well.  

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I heard him do it with the CSO and Senator Simpson (I think--he was long since retired).  It is a wonderful piece of art and damn fine music as well.  

I also saw a performance narrated by Simpson, with Williams conducting “The President’s Own” US Marine Corps Band. Musical performance was great. Simpson, not so much.

30 minutes ago, thx99 said:

I also saw a performance narrated by Simpson, with Williams conducting “The President’s Own” US Marine Corps Band. Musical performance was great. Simpson, not so much.

He did okay at Chicago but paled in comparison to Meredith (which is unsurprising).  

9 hours ago, King Mark said:

The suite has new music

actually I just realized nobody talks over that and I could edit it out of the suite cleanly .wonder why I never thought of it.Added as bonus track to album

I did that years ago... and yes, "The First Car in Town" and "The Horse Race" are great standalone pieces and unlike anything on the OST. 

I must have done it before but I can't find any edits on my PC.Weird, this is something I should have automatically thought to do ebefore

9 hours ago, Romão said:

I love the suite with the narration. They go wonderfully together. I wish JW would record his narrated suite for Angela's Ashes and perhaps compose narrated suites for Memoirs of a Geisha. Sleepers and The Accidental Tourist

That!

13 hours ago, Thor said:

I had this on a DVD-R ages ago. Nice to see it's been uploaded to the tube.

I can't recall a video recording of that one... would love to watch it. I've had the audio for that for over a decade though.

9 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I can't recall a video recording of that one... would love to watch it. I've had the audio for that for over a decade though.

I can rummage through the closet and see what I find. I may be confusing it with something else. Obviously, we all have the MUSIC FOR STAGE AND SCREEN album, with the Meredith narration; I know it's not that.

It was also performed in London in 1998. I forget the narrator -I know it was an American actor that I wasn't familiar with. I have the flyer from the night, but the narrator isn't mentioned. I recall it sounded a little different. I think "The First Car In Town" was either slightly faster or slower than the recorded suite. "The Horse Race" piece sounded fantastic! 

2020-04-22 23.30.17 22.jpg

17 hours ago, King Mark said:

7 hours ago, pete said:

I did that years ago... and yes, "The First Car in Town" and "The Horse Race" are great standalone pieces and unlike anything on the OST. 

Same here. I did my edit as soon as I bought the album in 1994, and never listened to the original again. I love Meredith in the Rocky movies, but dislike his voice as a narrator.

3 hours ago, pete said:

It was also performed in London in 1998. I forget the narrator -I know it was an American actor that I wasn't familiar with. I have the flyer from the night, but the narrator isn't mentioned.

The narrator on that occasion was the actor Oliver Ford Davies (who is in fact English).  He did very well as I recall.

8 hours ago, Omen II said:

The narrator on that occasion was the actor Oliver Ford Davies (who is in fact English).  He did very well as I recall.

Thanks. I recall he sure sounded American. Interesting, he had a small role in Episodes 1 and 3 

I honestly can't remember if I knew he was English at the time or if I assumed he was American. And yes, I recall he did a fine job. My memory of the narration is more than a little hazy though. Wow, 22 years ago.