Let's find the Last Jedi caretakers source music!

Datameister

So TLJ has the deleted scene with the party in the caretakers' village, right? Complete with source music featuring bagpipes, drums, and didgeridoo? Yeah, something deep inside tells me that there's no way this was recorded specifically for this film. I feel like this has to be an existing recording, either from a commercial album or a stock music library. In particular, the group Wicked Tinkers seems to have exactly the right sound - I just haven't been able to find any samples of their music online that quite match up with what we hear in the deleted scene.

Does anyone have any leads on this, or ideas of ways we could pursue this further?

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

Got a clip of this deleted scene for us to watch / listen to?

There seem to be two distinct pieces: one that's heard from 1:25-1:27 and 1:45-1:56, and another that's heard from 1:56 and gradually fading out over the next 30 seconds or so.

P.S. If any of you haven't listened to/watched this scene, it features what've got to be the coolest variations on Rey's theme to come out of The Last Jedi. They start around 0:57. I'm glad the scene was cut from the film, but god, it's a shame to lose that incredible music!

Thanks.  The scene is cool I dunno why Rian cut it.

I would speculate that JW would have written the source music, but the scene was cut before he got a chance, so they found some library music to use for the home release of it when they knew it'd be in a deleted scene feature

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Thanks.  The scene is cool I dunno why Rian cut it.

I would speculate that JW would have written the source music, but the scene was cut before he got a chance, so they found some library music to use for the home release of it when they knew it'd be in a deleted scene feature

That's my feeling as well. Finding the music they ended up using for this release really shouldn't matter to me...but for some reason, at least at this moment, it does. :lol:

I always figured this was Party Music and More Party Music in the cue list but that appears to be Canto Bight source music (not sure how the cue RT Shore fits into that). 

I guess we don't know how early the scene was cut and whether JW got around to finishing it. 

It's conceivable they needed some temp music on set for performers to match (long before Williams scored the film) and JW never got around to replacing it because the scene got cut. You'd think it was a late deletion though, most of the VFX are finished.

I just can't imagine this piece wasn't specifically composed for the film, even if it's not a Williams composition. It's way too 'out there' to just be generic stock music that wasn't commissioned for the film. I mean, they went to the trouble of making props that specifically line up with the music: a bagpipe equivalent, a didgeridoo equivalent, and the drums (with the performance lining up with the music).

So my guess is they needed this composed before production began (before Williams had agreed to score the film) so another composer worked with the production team to write an indigenous dance piece they could use as reference on set (and after settling on the sound, the design team created instruments to match).

There's also prop musical instruments for the Canto Bight sequence, but who knows if something different was composed there before Williams scored it (we do know Rian asked if Nathan could score that source music but Williams insisted on doing it).

55 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I just can't imagine this piece wasn't specifically composed for the film, even if it's not a Williams composition. It's way too 'out there' to just be generic stock music that wasn't commissioned for the film. I mean, they went to the trouble of making props that specifically line up with the music: a bagpipe equivalent, a didgeridoo equivalent, and the drums (with the performance lining up with the music).

So my guess is they needed this composed before production began (before Williams had agreed to score the film) so another composer worked with the production team to write an indigenous dance piece they could use as reference on set (and after settling on the sound, the design team created instruments to match).

There's also prop musical instruments for the Canto Bight sequence, but who knows if something different was composed there before Williams scored it (we do know Rian asked if Nathan could score that source music but Williams insisted on doing it).

Actually it's incredibly common for them to go through all this trouble. And there is a lot of stock music out there that sounds just like this, so it's certainly not as "out there" as it may seem.

I'm not sure if the scene was removed very early since according to te audiocomentary Johnson said the scene was there a long time and that he removed it because of pacing... And I see why. The scene is fine but removing it doesn't harm the movie at all, which usually means that the scene is useless. The main loss is that great arrangement of Rey's theme... 

In any case I have a bold guess: could it be a Nathan Johnson composition? Maybe Rian asked his cousin and long-time collaborator to write this source piece of music... Or indeed could be a stock piece that they leave there while waiting for Williams to compose something.

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

As @Manakin Skywalker said. You'd be surprised. Plenty of big films have used library music for on-screen performances, although it is in Star Wars tradition to have completely original music. 

To me it sounds like library music, it could be Nathan, but it doesn't sound like Williams to me. 

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

I feel like Nathan would've mentioned it when discussing the score...

That's a good point, probably he would've said something or even Rian... 

I don't know about the process of this film in particular. But most often source music is written in advance, before shooting, and then sometimes re-recorded in post.

It's most likely some kind of library music: if it were composed specifically for The Last Jedi, even if by someone other than JW, it should turn up in a GEMA Repertoire search, which doesn't seem to turn up anything. For example, the Lin-Manuel Miranda source music does turn up when searching 'The Force Awakens' or 'Rise of Skywalker'.

23 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

It's most likely some kind of library music: if it were composed specifically for The Last Jedi, even if by someone other than JW, it should turn up in a GEMA Repertoire search, which doesn't seem to turn up anything. For example, the Lin-Manuel Miranda source music does turn up when searching 'The Force Awakens' or 'Rise of Skywalker'.

The only wrinkle is that it's not used in the final cut of the film, so I don't know how that would affect the listings (or not).

I'm also curious where that source music from ROTS comes from (the carnival-like piece when Anakin is running up the stairs to the opera house). Obviously John had nothing to do with it, and it's certainly not an important piece of music; but either way I'd like to know where it came from.

13 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I'm also curious where that source music from ROTS comes from (the carnival-like piece when Anakin is running up the stairs to the opera house). Obviously John had nothing to do with it, and it's certainly not an important piece of music; but either way I'd like to know where it came from.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was recorded from a real carnival ala the Basketball game used in AOTC.

On 4/22/2020 at 9:50 AM, Datameister said:

Does anyone have any leads on this, or ideas of ways we could pursue this further?

Tried Shazam and SoundHound, just on the off chance it’s in their databases, but no dice.

Didn’t we find some names for tracks that weren’t on Shazam etc. from YouTube notices? Might be worth a shot.

23 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Tried Shazam and SoundHound, just on the off chance it’s in their databases, but no dice.

Didn’t we find some names for tracks that weren’t on Shazam etc. from YouTube notices? Might be worth a shot.

That's an interesting idea. I'll give it a shot!

57 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Already tried it last week, no luck. I know Lucasfilm often gets a lot of their stock music from APM, and because of the way APM works, they do not put claims on YouTube videos or anything like that; therefore if it is indeed from there, you won't be able to find it without searching through their database by hand.

In theory you could just search by bagpipes and skim through the results.

But there are a lot of stock music companies out there who frequently provide music for major productions (Audio Network, EMI, Universal, DeWolfe are some of the bigger ones) but there's no guarantee they used a big company.