ciarlese

How do you sort your JW albums?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How do you sort your JW albums?

• Alphabetically
    • By album release date
    • By composition date
    • By purchase date

I sort by composer and then chronologically by release date for everything except classical music. However, I do put expansions next to the original release. I am looking for their maturation as a composer so it is sensible to have everything stay within its time period. My composers are not sorted chronologically. It is based on importance and/or shelf space. I sadly lost my whole collection a few years back in a move but I have been slowly building it back. So my current selection is curated but sparse. These pictures make me yearn for my old collection back.

Nothing is alphabetical.

Top shelf are my 6 favorite composers.Golden Age.

Middle shelf:

1. One composer , one score ( 1960-).

Animation. Compilation.

Various composers ( 2 or more scores) British composers. French and Asian composers., 50's, 70"s. WESTERNS , Jazz and funk.

2. Bottom shelf:.

Television, Synth, Rock, Musicals

20200725_095341_HDR.jpg

18 hours ago, blondheim said:

I sadly lost my whole collection a few years back in a move but I have been slowly building it back. So my current selection is curated but sparse. These pictures make me yearn for my old collection back.

I’m really sorry to hear about the loss of your collection. Was it the movers?

I’m happy you’re rebuilding it, but I can only imagine how deflating the experience must be. Or at least I’m imagining how deflating it would be for me. I don’t know if I could ever rouse the motivation to rebuild. 

18 hours ago, blondheim said:

I sort by composer and then chronologically by release date for everything except classical music. However, I do put expansions next to the original release. I am looking for their maturation as a composer so it is sensible to have everything stay within its time period. My composers are not sorted chronologically. It is based on importance and/or shelf space. I sadly lost my whole collection a few years back in a move but I have been slowly building it back. So my current selection is curated but sparse. These pictures make me yearn for my old collection back.

That's sad. How big was the collection?

18 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I like vertically so I can easily read the spines. Every score gets its own space!

Two disc space( SUPE)

Spielberg

Lucas

Stone

Decade

Screenshot_2020-09-02-14-04-16.png

I like mine standing vertically so I can read the spine. 

In order of film release.

49 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

I’m really sorry to hear about the loss of your collection. Was it the movers?

I’m happy you’re rebuilding it, but I can only imagine how deflating the experience must be. Or at least I’m imagining how deflating it would be for me. I don’t know if I could ever rouse the motivation to rebuild. 

No, I left them behind for the second truck because the first truck had so much heavy stuff in it, I didn't want them to get damaged, which in retrospect is ironic. I was briefly staying with a friend in between moves so I was not on the lease and never had need for a key. I hadn't even unpacked them, that was how brief. Before I could come back for them, my friend finished his part of the move without telling me and left them behind and returned his key, and no matter how hard I tried, I was unable to get the landlord to let me into the apartment. He assured me over the phone that he had been in to check and there were no boxes left. That's that tragic tale. I am not kidding when I say sometimes I am just walking around and suddenly I remember and the Kill Bill siren plays in my head. I had just had Howard Shore sign all of my complete recordings when I saw him live in Pittsburgh summer 2017.

I also lost all my writings and compositions up to that point. All my sheet music. All my childhood projects and papers, my yearbooks. It was devastating.

39 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's sad. How big was the collection?

I had whittled it down over the years as I grew less fond of certain things but it was hefty. I had quite a large collection of scores, albums, musicals, classical box sets. I lost my Mercury Living Presence vol. 2 box, that hurt. I lost the LLL Hook, flawed though that expansion was, it was an anniversary gift from my boyfriend at the time and it still stung. Some CDs of concerts I had participated in that can't be replaced. Some special bootlegs of nights of musical theatre that I had to search for over years and years. The worst part is that they were all my original copies. Discs I had held at Christmas time as an eleven-year old. I loved them dearly, cracks and all.

That’s rough, my friend. 😟 But what kind of friend leaves filled boxes behind in an apartment and turns in the key without first asking, “oh, hey, there’s still some of your stuff in there, you wanna grab it?”

Apartments can suck hard. I had a laptop stolen from my apartment in ‘06 and lost an entire photo library that I’ve never been able to replace, among other things.

I hope you do one day replace your MLP box set. I have all three volumes and they are very dear to me. Wilma cozart fine’s recording technique was lightning in a bottle. 

17 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

That’s rough, my friend. 😟 But what kind of friend leaves filled boxes behind in an apartment and turns in the key without first asking, “oh, hey, there’s still some of your stuff in there, you wanna grab it?”

An asshole.

I don't actually use stuff in my physical collection that often; it's mostly there as a backup and a place to find liner notes. Most of the time I'm just listening to my digital rips of the CDs.

With that in mind, any organization I do is mostly out of a desire for neatness and order, not out of pragmatic need. And since my desire for neatness and order is...spotty, so is the organization of my collection. I do try to group similar items together - all the Star Trek albums, all the Disney parks albums, all the classical albums, etc. Some composers with a significant presence in my collection get their own sections. Williams has his own shelf; his standalone films are all together and then his franchises are all next to each other. Beyond that...it's kind of a free-for-all.

• 1 year later...

I just reorganized my JW collection... again... 

1) TV/Film scores (+ the first recordings)

2) Compilations (JW recordings)

3) Chronological BPO recordings & collabs, etc.

4) JW works recorded by others (+ a special place for Charles Gherardt recordings)

20220625_154345.jpg

20220625_155755.jpg

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Every CD in my collection (including JW scores) is alphabetical/chronological.

Alphabetical, you're a store? :P

In a word: idiosyncratically.

I have all my non-JW OSTs alphabetically, then all my JW ones alphabetically, followed by the film music compilations:

F90526C9-5798-4111-9569-20FDA2BB77D3.jpeg

JW’s non-film works then get filed with my classical stuff, all under W.

1B30F79B-CEE2-4065-B603-36D9AAEEC1EE.jpeg

Can’t remember why I put By Request here. Might have been short of space on the Film shelves.

I arrange Labelwise. So that I way I remember which lable released what. On top of that all major lables are syncronised according to their composers. All unopened new albums are also arranged in that same way before I open them.

I divide my film scores and other orchestral music from all other music.  Film scores are sorted alphabetically by title.  Rock/pop/etc. albums are sorted alphabetically by artist and then chronologically.  I have about a 50/50 split.  I do the same thing separately with my boxsets and irregular size releases.

5D1A65D4-B829-482A-8B8F-093ABB5487E3.jpeg

A08CD99A-093B-4CFB-8369-D56AF05E0F8E.jpeg

The shelves are all doubled up front to back.

You need FIVE YEARS in your life, Mike.

My only quibble with FIVE YEARS was that you didn't get the 5.1 ZIGGY STARDUST included. I had to buy the vinyl release, for that. Ken Scott did a bang-up job remixing it.

I love the new mixes of LODGER (such an underrated record), and NEVER LET ME DOWN.

I’ve tossed/donated all of my previous releases, except for a few of the Ryko reissues from the 90s which had bonus tracks which didn’t end up on the boxes.  I don’t have 5.1 capability (or vinyl) so I’m just happy to have definitive presentations of all the albums.  (I did keep my old Never Let Me Down because they didn’t restore Too Dizzy even for the box).

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

I divide my film scores and other orchestral music from all other music.  Film scores are sorted alphabetically by title.  Rock/pop/etc. albums are sorted alphabetically by artist and then chronologically.  I have about a 50/50 split.  I do the same thing separately with my boxsets and irregular size releases.

A08CD99A-093B-4CFB-8369-D56AF05E0F8E.jpeg

The shelves are all doubled up front to back.

How do you know or remember what’s behind the visible layer of CDs??

Incidentally, that big black & white box in the top right of the second photo looks way outsized and out of place. I’d be happy to take it off your hands for you. Just to help you improve the overall look and feel of your CD collection, you know.

3 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

How do you know or remember what’s behind the visible layer of CDs??

I never go blindly looking for or perusing CDs - I know what I’m looking for and find it based on my filing system (film title or rock artist).

19 hours ago, mstrox said:

The Bowie boxes!:lovethis: I want them too - all of them! How's the sound on the latest box set? Is Earthlings now listenable (referring to the sharp sound of the previous master)?

I like Earthlings a lot, but the thin sound always turned me off.

20 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I love the new mixes of LODGER (such an underrated record)

It is indeed among his most underrated albums, Black Tie White Noise and Heathen being the other two that come to mind.

20 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

and NEVER LET ME DOWN.

Do you like the 2018 version?

40 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

...Black Tie White Noise...

For personal reasons, BLACK TIE WHITE NOISE is my all-time favourite Bowie record.

Do you like the 2018 version?

I don't dislike it. Then again, I've never disliked the 1987 version. I see the 2018 version as a variation on a theme.

I like Earthlings a lot, but the thin sound always turned me off.

It's EARTHLING, or, to be extremely pendantic, EART HL I NG :).

It took me a while to get into EARTHLING, after the über-dense 1. OUTSIDE, but I've grown to like it.

The way my film music CD collection is organized is obviously the best, but it's the hardest to do, I confess!

I need my friend Wikipedia to keep it in this order, but it gives me a nice career overview of each composer.

All these works didn't came BANG in one year at once, each composer have its early period and its maturity period. The art of a composer evolves in time.

And it is a good way for me to learn to remember the period of composition of each work.