Star Wars I-IX Playlist, or: How I Learned to Stop Socializing and Love John Williams

mrbellamy

Very nice playlist, of course.

My additions would be:

The Sail Barge Assault - ROTJ

I think it really showcases Luke's heroism and maturity from the ending of ESB.  He's even the only one mindful of the droids "Let's go, and don't forget the droids."  It's also just one hell of an action cue.

Parade of the Ewoks - ROTJ

People might dislike the Ewoks, but it's hard denying their lovely theme.  But so much of that movie takes place on Endor, that it's hard to not have their theme in an ultimate playlist.

Han and Leia - TFA

It's the last time they are together before Han is killed and has some really warm moments with Poe and Finn reunited.

On 4/28/2020 at 7:39 PM, Bellosh said:

Very nice playlist, of course.

My additions would be:

The Sail Barge Assault - ROTJ

I think it really showcases Luke's heroism and maturity from the ending of ESB.  He's even the only one mindful of the droids "Let's go, and don't forget the droids."  It's also just one hell of an action cue.

Parade of the Ewoks - ROTJ

People might dislike the Ewoks, but it's hard denying their lovely theme.  But so much of that movie takes place on Endor, that it's hard to not have their theme in an ultimate playlist.

Han and Leia - TFA

It's the last time they are together before Han is killed and has some really warm moments with Poe and Finn reunited.

I do want to reconsider those ROTJ tracks. I think with Sail Barge Assault, I took it out when I took out “Carbon Freeze” and then just forgot about it. It is on the longer side and at that point in the listen I do just feel like I want to get to the Emperor, but you are right that my list is lacking in actual Luke heroics and it is silly not to feature Endor. Maybe will try swapping out Into the Trap. It's like a house of cards or Jenga...

"Han and Leia" is definitely one of those that's gone back and forth. I think the reason I decided to leave it out was because the theme has just recently finished "Leia Breaks the News" and ends unresolved, so I like that it leaves you hanging, then "The Jedi Steps" hints at his death scene, and finally the sad reprisal in "The Spark" sort of says it all to me. This is just how I hear it and I can fill in the blanks. The 2018 arrangement tells so much of that story for me and I was mostly looking for a single callback per OT theme in the sequels where possible since there are so many.

Also for pacing, I found "Han and Leia" slows things down too early, Kylo Arrives, Resistance, Abduction, Ways/Force is a really exciting sequence and I wanted to keep that momentum. Then Jedi Steps is a good breather. Also like that the Force Theme with Rey getting the lightsaber is the first re-introduction of an OT theme.

On 4/28/2020 at 8:12 PM, Fabulin said:

The Tide Turns / The Death of Darth Maul

Victory Celebration

And the use of "They Will Come" with the a clean edit of the concert March of the Resistance ending.

Yeah, with those first two it's just about the sequencing. I really like how "Anakin's Theme" leads into "Across the Stars" into "Anakin's Dream" and so then it's just too late lol. I decided I just wanted to hear the music illustrate Anakin's fall. Also the big Force Theme in Tide Turns spoils hearing it for the first time at the end of Anakin’s Dream which I found kinda amazing.

And then Victory Celebration, I felt like I just needed to give the sequels space for the Emperor to not really be dead, for things to not actually be that great haha. It is what it is. I like how "Funeral Pyre" ends the story in a big but also unresolved-sounding way, it leads me to expect more.

And I like the Victory theme in "They Will Come"! The way it tails off, I think it leads into the beginning of "Approaching the Throne" well. Also any opportunity to set it up for "Farewell," I like how he brings it in alongside the Resistance March in both "They Will Come" and "Approaching the Throne" back to back, it feels natural and exciting to me. That's a really good edit, though, hmmmmm.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Han Solo also gets a little gypped but that’s always been an issue with him, musically.

You COULD always include "The Adventures of Han."  It's definitely an outlier in the musical landscape; it makes sense that you left it off, since it doesn't really have a place in the Skywalker Saga, but I thought I'd mention it.  I also wouldn't end with A New Hope and End Credits, but that's just a personal preference; I know it's controversial but I would probably go with the Finale track from Episode IX.  

3 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Haha yeah, it occurred to me at some point but mm, never tried it. I dunno where it would even go, really. 

Yeah, I'm looking now and I don't know where I would put it, either... maybe before Han Solo and the Princess?  But you're probably right just to leave it off.

57 minutes ago, Matt S. said:

I also wouldn't end with A New Hope and End Credits, but that's just a personal preference; I know it's controversial but I would probably go with the Finale track from Episode IX.  

Yeah, the "A New Hope and End Credits" choice had several parts to it. I knew I'd have to leave out Throne Room from the New Hope section, and I'm still considering just going to the Skywalker Symphony recording or just the original. However I do like having Binary Sunset (plus Leia and Luke, it's sort of faithful to Ep IX's ending in a way) and I also think it's valuable to have a callback to "Battle of the Heroes" in its full arrangement, in context it's a unique reprisal from "Anakin vs Obi-Wan" and referencing the most pivotal moment from the beginning of the story, generally makes sense to me. And as I mentioned, it honors the fact that it was a critical part of JW's final word on Star Wars for 10 years. But idk. I also think the Throne Room arrangement itself is both brilliant and ridiculous haha. At that point, it's just Star Wars baby. 

I've considered the finale from Ep IX but I think it's a nah for me.

59 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

However I do like having Binary Sunset

Boy, are you spoiled for choice on that front! 

It does make a logical bookend though, assuming the original cue goes somewhere near the start. 

Yeah I mean, it does and doesn’t. I’ve largely kept the Force Theme out of the prequels and limited the actual Binary Sunset arrangement itself to really the original and the final reprise. Then you can count Vader’s funeral pyre, and maybe a half dozen other full statements that are quieter or just don’t follow that exact arrangement, plus all the random half statements and things. So it’s spaced out where I feel like I appreciate it at the end. 

But the way I kinda hear the structure of this thing as it’s suited me is that you have a prologue (I-III), then basically a novel (IV-VI), then like a final chapter which is a self-contained short story that skips 30 years ahead (VII-VIII), and a long epilogue and acknowledgments (IX) :lol: so in that sense I made it so Binary Sunset essentially bookends the OT portion, plus a final reprisal.

I knowwww but it's just so much Return of the Jedi lmao. What a great score.

I think I will just go for it, though, and slot in Sail Barge and Ewoks before Into the Trap, edited the main post. You do need Luke’s heroism and it occurred to me Ewoks sort of works as a light fun precursor of sorts to Resistance March as well, marshaling the troops etc. with Trap quickly getting you through some Rebel action.  Those three together carry momentum to the throne room pretty well.

@Bellosh so I was reasoning out why I didn't really care for "Han and Leia" in the playlist and had a thought....

Because what I really like about the run of Scavenger through Ways of the Force is that it gives Rey and Kylo Ren a clear musical runway to establish themselves, uninterrupted, and it has a really steady development that "Han and Leia" always messed with for me.

But then I considered the fact that what's nice about going to "Jedi Steps" and "The Spark" is that then dials it back, slows down, and really focuses on the OT heroes.

So even though it breaks with a literal timeline, it occurred to me that, actually, "Han and Leia" could flow really nicely following "The Ways of the Force". Because after the new stuff has basically gotten its own suite, then you would get this run of Leia's theme, Han/Leia's theme, Leia's role in the Resistance, Ben's conflict through Han/Leia's eyes, Force theme, Luke on Ahch-To, the motif from Han's death, and finally reprisals of Force, Luke/Leia, Han/Leia, all building up to the ghost of Imperial March.

So it's splitting those threads where you get separate musical rundowns of the sequel characters followed by the OT characters, then a return back to Rey and Kylo.

You really worked hard on this! And I enjoyed reading all your reasoning for your choices. The question of how to curate the "Story of Star Wars" from the music of all 9 episodes is daunting. But I've also been thinking about what to listen to in honor of May the Fourth.

I'm thinking I'll just make a quick playlist of one or two pieces per film, so it's manageable, not to tell the whole story, but just to have something I can listen to in a reasonable amount of time to celebrate the occasion. Maybe I'll add some stuff from outside the films, like Adventures of Han, Galaxy's Edge, and the new Han Solo and the Princess. I wish it was practical to listen to ALL NINE scores this weekend... but that's a bit much. I'm considering listening to one score per day on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. I've been meaning to listen to both ROTJ and TROS, so maybe I'll add ROTS and make my theme "the third movie in each trilogy".

I did a 2 hour Spotify playlist focusing mainly on the concert arrangements. Some difficulties to prepare it as not all the albuns are available in Spotify (Force Awakens is not, so I had to use tracks from a compilation).

Here's the link: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2FPslwPXOBcHNglKgwlBSn?si=ud4tfx7-RL-nqx8r0UYJOA

It must vary from country to country because The Force Awakens is definitely on Spotify US