New Oscar Rule: Academy banning physical FYC Score CDs from next year, digital files will be allowed

TheUlyssesian

I missed this detail in yesterday's announcement

As part of the Academy’s sustainability effort, the 93rd Awards season will be the final year DVD screeners will be allowed to be distributed; these mailings will be discontinued starting in 2021 for the 94th Academy Awards.  Access to the Academy Screening Room will continue to be made available for all eligible releases.  The distribution of physical music CDs, screenplays and hardcopy mailings, including but not limited to paper invites and screening schedules, will also be discontinued next year.  Digital links to materials will be permitted.

So this year is the last year physical music CDs will be allowed. From next year onwards, it will have to be all digital, all the time.

So this is the end of the era of FYCs leaking onto Ebay? (I am sure other bodies will follow the academy's lead and ban physical media soon.)

From an environmental perspective, this should've happened years ago. It also ends the ridiculous ebay activity we've seen.

I reckon they've still been doing it because receiving something physical makes you more likely to remember the film/score than if you just stream it.

But yeah, no more lossless FYCs :|

I'm sorry for the people who insist on lossless music (truly).  But if only this rule had been implemented 4 years ago, we probably would've gotten the BFG FYC digitally.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm sorry for the people who insist on lossless music (truly).  But if only this rule had been implemented 4 years ago, we probably would've gotten the BFG FYC digitally.

Not necessarily. I mean, we never got online links for it as it is.