THE RIVER expanded and remastered by Mike Matessino now available from Intrada Records

thx99

On 5/2/2020 at 4:10 PM, Bespin said:

I’m ready, look!

I love that you have your albums in chronological order (vs my very boring alphabetical by film/TV followed by the compilations and then the concert pieces).

But are your Jedis out of order? Shouldn't the Disney one come after the sleeved one?

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

No love for AMAZING STORIES, Bes?

Honestly, the TV scores and me...

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Wha'?! :o HEIDI?! JANE EYRE?!

Not the TV specials, but the TV series.  A composer of great talent like John Williams, wrote, in my sense, very okay music for TV series, no better, no worse than any of his pairs. I may be wrong, but I think this is a medium where it’s hard to really shine.

Doug's full post (not sure why Amer didn't copy and paste it)

5/2/2020

Staying safe continues to be the common greeting/parting these days. Let it continue to be. This coming Tuesday brings sheltered (and unsheltered) listeners another new Intrada release, and a great one it is. Alongside it are a pair of long out-of-stock titles. New is the expanded (by 20 minutes) CD of John Williams’ evocative slice of Americana, 1984’s The River, starring Mel Gibson and Sissy Spacek. Mark Rydell directed, reuniting with Williams after The Reivers, The Cowboys and Cinderella Liberty. Returning to our shelves and perhaps landing on yours as well are two of Intrada’s best-selling expanded editions: Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Chinatown, both top drawer scores by respectively Alan Silvestri and Jerry Goldsmith. Visit us here on Tuesday the 5th and order one, two or maybe even all three of the releases. You’ll be happy you did. Yep… and stay safe.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8451

The bluesy-ness of the "Love Theme" has always been a highlight for me in this score.  When I first heard the theme to "War Horse," the flute part immediately reminded me of this cue.  Also, back in the '90s, the Babe Ruth biopick trailer used "Ancestral Home" to good effect.  https://youtu.be/xZ7oY0tA7qU

8 minutes ago, TJH132 said:

When I first heard the theme to "War Horse," the flute part immediately reminded me of this cue.

I was talking with @Nick Parker the other day about how much the first half of "From Farm to Factory" sounds like War Horse.  I mean A LOT like War Horse.

It’s whenever Intrada releases a Williams album that I truly appreciate the regularity of La-La Land putting products up at 3pm Eastern on the dot.

If you look at their post times (the right-most column here), they are truly any random time between 5.01pm EST to 8.30pm EST.  A 3 1/2 hour window!

Of course, whether you order it tonight or tomorrow, it still ain't shipping out until tomorrow.

Price: $21.99

OK, so I haven't been paying attention to these types of releases for the last years, but is this the new standard now -- a couple of dollars up? Last time I checked, it was $19.99 or thereabouts.

There was a year or two where practically *every* Intrada release was $21.99 for a single disc, Thor...even stuff like a mostly-synth score, I remember. But then a year or two ago they switched back to $19.99 mostly, and now it seems like it depends on their specific costs for each project. The last year+ of releases from them have sometimes been $19.99 and sometimes $21.99.

Yavar

I think this might be the longest disc of film music in my collection! 

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Longest?

Ordered!

Some of the samples are almost as long as the track itself!  Is that the norm for Intrada?  Sorry don't order from them too much.

42 minutes ago, Jay said:

Across the Stars (deluxe version) is 82 minutes long, that would probably be the top banana.

51 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

There was a year or two where practically *every* Intrada release was $21.99 for a single disc, Thor...even stuff like a mostly-synth score, I remember. But then a year or two ago they switched back to $19.99 mostly, and now it seems like it depends on their specific costs for each project. The last year+ of releases from them have sometimes been $19.99 and sometimes $21.99.

Yavar

Yep, Monsignor is $19.99

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.11896/.f

4 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Some of the samples are almost as long as the track itself!  Is that the norm for Intrada? 

If the track is on the short side, sure 

Sorry don't order from them too much.

I highly recommend Jaws, Jaws 2, Apollo 13, Alien, The Rocketeer, Edward Scissorhands, and The Last Starfighter 

Across the Stars (deluxe version) is 82 minutes long, that would probably be the top banana.

Ooh I forgot about that one

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

I strongly recommend Jaws, Jaws 2, Apollo 13, The Rocketeer, Edward Scissorhands, and The Last Starfighter 

I’ve received Jaws, Jaws 2 and Apollo 13 as gifts.  I’m vaguely familiar with the others but not very much.  Thanks for the recommendations I’ll listen to samples!

40 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

I’ve received Jaws, Jaws 2 and Apollo 13 as gifts.  I’m vaguely familiar with the others but not very much.  Thanks for the recommendations I’ll listen to samples!

Great stuff.

I would point out their re-recordings of Spellbound and Dial M for Murder as worthy of sampling too.  

Broughton's Silverado too.

Oh, and ordered The River. I added in Intrada's re-recording of Julius Caesar too since I did not have that one (conducted by Broughton).

79:32 mins. Maybe the longest from a specialty label I've seen.

From a CD-R, the longest I got to burn was 82:34 mins. That is, playable all the way through in any device I tested, recent and vintage. Anything longer than that is a shot in the dark. I tried an 83 mins one and surprisingly it only worked in my car stereo, which is the last player I expected it to work. With the rest of the devices it started skipping at around 82:35. So I established 82:34 as a safe zone.

Are there any pressed CDs that are that long? Never heard of any.

7 minutes ago, phbart said:

Are there any pressed CDs that are that long? Never heard of any.

4 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Interesting. Didn't think pressed CDs could be stretched like that too. I though it was a luxury of CD-Rs only. So MM could've squeezed another 2:30 or so of alternates... and add another $2 for the price. :lol::lol: