THE RIVER expanded and remastered by Mike Matessino now available from Intrada Records

thx99

My copy is set to arrive on Monday per USPS site, can't wait!  It is pretty cool that this and Monsignor are presented similarly filled to the brim in 1 CD.  Monsignor was a really nice listening experience, hope to have the same result with The River.

@Jay What circumstances led to the decision to put the OST on the disc first before the score presentation vs what we have seen in the past with 2 or 3 disc sets with Rosewood, Superman TM, etc.?

I guess I should have re-worded it.  My question is why does the OST come first on the disc vs the score presentation first then the OST?

1 hour ago, ATXHusker said:

My question is why does the OST come first on the disc vs the score presentation first then the OST?

One reason I could imagine is that doing it the other way round would place the end credits and the album opener back to back - and they're the same cue.

35 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

One reason I could imagine is that doing it the other way round would place the end credits and the album opener back to back - and they're the same cue.

Not if they put the bonus track in between!

In general, I'm a fan of putting the composer's original soundtrack presentation first.  I think I will prefer the full score presentation (I expounded on my issues with the OST earlier in the thread) so I'd be annoyed if actually playing the CD was my main way of listening to the score (skipping to track 12 every time I put it in), but since I'll only ever listen to this on my computer/phone it's no problem.

Since years I haven't really listened to an albums the whole way through, so why bother. But I get the feeling that Williams' old album was perfect the way it was constructed. The rest just looks like shorter cues.

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

In general, I'm a fan of putting the composer's original soundtrack presentation first.  I think I will prefer the full score presentation (I expounded on my issues with the OST earlier in the thread) so I'd be annoyed if actually playing the CD was my main way of listening to the score (skipping to track 12 every time I put it in), but since I'll only ever listen to this on my computer/phone it's no problem.

In general, I'm not a fan of putting the end credits at the beginning of the score. It can make sense for very condensed albums that are missing a lot of binding material, or for less coherent scores that don't have much binding material to begin with. We'll see how The River compares in chronological order. I never knew that the first track on the album was actually the end credits, but since I've learned that I'm less surprised by how much its pop style differs from the rest of the score.

Sorry no cat, but I have the disc in my hands! Moments away from enjoying it (until the next meeting starts anyway) - but not complaining that I can work from home. 

By the way, as always, entertaining and informative liner notes from Mike. Not super long, but a nice combination of the history of the film and context + tech notes on the recording sessions and how the release was mastered.

I haven't listened fully through yet, so cannot say I have any overall reactions yet (other than really enjoying it). Interesting how far right the guitar is in some tracks, and I think I get a bit of a Georges Delerue feel for some reason on some tracks. (Which is not a bad thing.) But overall just lovely Williams Americana sounding wonderful on my system.

Ordered this directly from Intrada, along with Take Her, She's Mine and (finally) Air Force One and U.S. Marshals. Considered ordering from Musicbox (total price would be slightly more than Intrada if Intrada gets through without customs fees, and slightly less if it doesn't), but U.S. Marshals was down to a few in stock copies, and those sold out before I had decided where to order. I figure Intrada will probably get it back in stock faster, but with that on backorder and Corona, I expect it'll be a while before I'll actually have these in my hands.

I can’t order it now, as I want to order it with the Disaster boxset. I think they’ll reprint it only by june or july :-(

On 5/8/2020 at 2:30 PM, ATXHusker said:

IMG_5094_(002).jpg

Nice original cover art!

On 5/5/2020 at 7:28 AM, Jay said:

Yea it's a completely different recording. 6 of the OST tracks were recorded on a special day just for album recordings, like ET. 

I don’t want to do the maths, but in my disco like for E.T., do I have to mention that the album contains « mainly » concert suites recorded specially for the album?

On 5/9/2020 at 2:01 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

Ordered this directly from Intrada, along with Take Her, She's Mine and (finally) Air Force One and U.S. Marshals. Considered ordering from Musicbox (total price would be slightly more than Intrada if Intrada gets through without customs fees, and slightly less if it doesn't), but U.S. Marshals was down to a few in stock copies, and those sold out before I had decided where to order. I figure Intrada will probably get it back in stock faster, but with that on backorder and Corona, I expect it'll be a while before I'll actually have these in my hands.

Yeah similar; I have Far & Away (and the back in stock Home Alone) from LLL somewhere over the Atlantic for the last month, and no doubt the same for The River.  So they’ll be great summer treats for us!

One small annoyance. Why are the album tracks first then the film score? That annoyed me on Monsignor too especially since the film score has better sound

21 minutes ago, King Mark said:

One small annoyance. Why are the album tracks first then the film score? That annoyed me on Monsignor too especially since the film score has better sound

Its in chronological release date order!

The Ancestral Home sounds more like a concert piece than a film cue.  I'm reminded of Hymn to New England for some reason

41 minutes ago, King Mark said:

18 minutes ago, King Mark said:

yeah but every other expanded release has the album at the end or disk 2

On 5/7/2020 at 6:06 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

52 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Why does it matter?

29 minutes ago, King Mark said:

yeah but every other expanded release has the album at the end or disk 2

Inchon, Monsignor, Chinatown.

If it really mattered, I agree, most expansions put the OST presentation at the back, kind of like singles, remixes and live versions on pop expansions... in the order versions were created. But, does it really matter? Isn't everyone ripping their collection to iTunes or another player anyway. These releases always end up on several lists for me: JW master playlist, JW (by decade), LLL as issued, JWFan C&C, iPhone list, etc. and tracks are variously reordered, omitted, adjacent to different programs depending.

3 minutes ago, lairdo said:

I think another, separate question is "why" did The River originally get this treatment of an extra recording day, and the work done to compose, orchestrate and ready the parts for recording them? We know from the linear notes that Universal was banking of the film being a big success: Mark Rydell coming off On Golden Pond, Sissy Spacek off of Coal Miner's Daughter, topical story, Mel Gibson's first US movie, and John Williams in the glow of successes (films and music releases) such as ET, Raiders, Superman, Star Wars and Jaws + his very visible Boston Pops appointment and broadcasts + his triumph at the LA Olympics. Were these factors enough to create what amounts to a special version of the score? Did JW push for it because of what it represented to him and showed his abilities in a different light than the summer blockbusters? Interestingly, as far as I can determine, The River's music only shows up in 3 groups of releases: 1. The OST/Expanded release; 2. A series of MCA Record compilations of JW's music for MCA/Universal that were released in various countries; and, 3. the 4-disc collection from Silva Screen and Silva's variants of their various re-recordings (such as a Mel Gibson's movie music).

There's a lot of scores he recorded with a special version for the OST

Earthquake

Jaws

The Fury

Dracula

Monsignor

E.T. 

The River

Skipped through the OST... ehh

Listened through the OST... well just not my thing I guess.

Listened to the Intrada samples... huh.

Listened to the Intrada, both programs... you know, this thing might be really growing on me!

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

Skipped through the OST... ehh

Listened through the OST... well just not my thing I guess.

Listened to the Intrada samples... huh.

Listened to the Intrada, both programs... you know, this thing might be really growing on me!

Stockholm Syndrome!

388AB7FD-C877-4332-94BB-6932D07D334A.jpeg

5 hours ago, A Ghost From Highwood said:

It's probably cheaper to order directly from the label.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's probably cheaper to order directly from the label.

Thanks! Maybe i'm just paranoid but maybe Amazon is safer for everyone involved in the delivery process?