THE RIVER expanded and remastered by Mike Matessino now available from Intrada Records

thx99

Intrada sells their wares as a third party seller on Amazon, but it’s usually a few bucks more expensive than their website - presumably to offset any reduced shipping/handling or Amazon fees.

252DCAAC-EDB0-43A4-8FB3-5FCC342A27FC.jpeg3C975516-AB38-4BFA-97C8-40130040F84A.jpeg

14 minutes ago, A Ghost From Highwood said:

Thanks! Maybe i'm just paranoid but maybe Amazon is safer for everyone involved in the delivery process? 

Nonono... Amazon is by far the winner when it comes to cracking the most jewel cases of CD albums that I've ordered (in percentage).

On 5/10/2020 at 11:14 AM, GlastoEls said:

Yeah similar; I have Far & Away (and the back in stock Home Alone) from LLL somewhere over the Atlantic for the last month, and no doubt the same for The River.  So they’ll be great summer treats for us!

I'm already waiting for my package from La-La Land almost two months :(

On 5/10/2020 at 11:14 AM, GlastoEls said:

Yeah similar; I have Far & Away (and the back in stock Home Alone) from LLL somewhere over the Atlantic for the last month, and no doubt the same for The River.  So they’ll be great summer treats for us!

Yeah, you'll hava a great 2021 summer!

4 hours ago, E-Wan said:

I'm already waiting for my package from La-La Land almost two months :(

Just bought something from Screenarchives (incl. La-laland's Home Alone). Hope it doesn't take that long to come here! :unsure:

edit:

Does anyobody know what would be the difference between a regular flute and an electric flute?

I see in the opening Main title cue (and generally in flute solo passages in other tracks), they use an electric flute.

By the way, remembering the scene, I prefer the original Leaving Home. The film version sounded too happy to me, even when I didn't know there was an original alternate version.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Perhaps it's a MIDI flute.

No, it's not. There is an electric flute if you google it, but my question was how it is different in sound with the regular flute...

7 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

No, it's not. There is an electric flute if you google it, but my question was how it is different in sound with the regular flute...

Sounds like a regular flute, IMO.

https://open.spotify.com/album/2bVRSXWyxOSy6OVKmif0HI?si=lqm-pQ9-SaKdIWCl7VrpEA

From what I can gather this is not an especially kid-focused or kiddie movie, is there any specific known reason for the naming of "Young Friends Farewell"?

14 minutes ago, Holko said:

From what I can gather this is not an especially kid-focused or kiddie movie, is there any specific known reason for the naming of "Young Friends Farewell"?

There are absolutely children in the movie.  Gibson and Spacek are a married couple, with children.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

There are absolutely children in the movie.  Gibson and Spacek are a married couple, with children.

Schindler's List has kids in it, that doesn't mean it's for kids.

A title like "Young Friends Farewell" seems to me to imply that either the film focuses on kids we now say farewell to with the last track or that the expected listeners are the young friends JW says farewell to.

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Why would a scene with kids imply a movie for kids?

It's the OST-exclusive final track not based on any film cue or scene.

6 hours ago, Holko said:

It's the OST-exclusive final track not based on any film cue or scene.

It's probably based on The Kids seperate scene, and maybe it's an alternate musical idea that Williams developed for the album.

Actually, Matessino's liner notes explain that it's an expansion of a motif in "Dialing the Hospital" created specifically for the album as a showcase for flute and guitar soloists.

Unrelatedly, I want to nominate "Leaving Home (Film Version)" as the closest the Maestro ever came to '80s hip-hop percussion.  For all we know, those drums might actually be the sound of Johnny beatboxing...

4 hours ago, igger6 said:

Unrelatedly, I want to nominate "Leaving Home (Film Version)" as the closest the Maestro ever came to '80s hip-hop percussion.  For all we know, those drums might actually be the sound of Johnny beatboxing...

We aren't sure that he wrote them himself.

In the sheet music it says "ad lib" in the electric drums part.

So he could easily just leave it to the drummer.

It has arrived!!!

This is one I've never had in my collection and managed to hear very little of over the years. Sitting down now to savour some vintage (mostly) unheard (by me) 84' Williams! 

Mine has arrived in the UK. It is earlier than most deliveries these days. With a bit of luck I might have it by Saturday.

Karol

34 minutes ago, Brian99_1 said:

It has arrived!!!

This is one I've never had in my collection and managed to hear very little of over the years. Sitting down now to savour some vintage (mostly) unheard (by me) 84' Williams! 

That very first track will throw you for a loop!

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Mine has arrived in the UK. It is earlier than most deliveries these days. With a bit of luck I might have it by Saturday.l

Mine has shipped already, Intrada got U.S. Marshals back in stock much sooner than I'd expected. Now we'll see if it takes a week or two to get here, or six (I've read a lot of US-Europe shipping is going by ship at the moment).

6 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Mine has shipped already, Intrada got U.S. Marshals[/] back in stock much sooner than I'd expected. Now we'll see if it takes a week or two to get here, or six (I've read a lot of US-Europe shipping is going by ship at the moment).

That is really excessively long. I still get deliveries in less than two weeks. 

Karol

40 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Mine has shipped already, Intrada got U.S. Marshals back in stock much sooner than I'd expected. Now we'll see if it takes a week or two to get here, or six (I've read a lot of US-Europe shipping is going by ship at the moment).

Six weeks? That's nothing! I'm still waiting for my Far and Away and other La-La Land CDs which have shipped 8 weeks ago!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

That very first track will throw you for a loop!

I see what you mean! 

"Starts track 1".... oooh ver nice Williams in fun mode... "20 seconds in" .... ok ok taking a step down here in the bright feeling "~30 ish seconds in" .... whoa is that a drum kit!? then back and forth we go for the rest of the track... "2:20ish" ...ok did I just start a film noir score here?

"buckles up for the rest of the listen thinking... I hope the liner notes have some insight :)"

Haha.  The album presentation starts with the end credits.  I dunno why JW thought a drum kit made sense for it!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Haha.  The album presentation starts with the end credits.  I dunno why JW thought a drum kit made sense for it!

It was the 80's! 

10 hours ago, E-Wan said:

Six weeks? That's nothing! I'm still waiting for my Far and Away and other La-La Land CDs which have shipped 8 weeks ago!

Same here.

I think It may be Lost :/

20 hours ago, crocodile said:

That is really excessively long. I still get deliveries in less than two weeks. 

Karol

I am in UK too, I placed my order 10 days ago on Silva Screen Entertainment and it is still in "pending" :(.

yeah but does the river have any important part in the story or it's just there? besides having to cross it at some point in the film

Just now, King Mark said:

yeah but does the river have any important part in the story or it's just there?

The river flooding is very important to the story.  It's about a farm barely surviving, not wanting to sell out to corporate interests, and a flood that destroys the crops would mean not being able to make it.

BTW, random aside, back in 2008 when I worked at the Virginia Commonwealth University bookstore in Richmond, I saw Sissy Spacek waiting in line with her daughter to buy textbooks for the semester.